This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Nier worth it? and which one is the main version?

#1harcoreblazerPosted 4/6/2013 12:03:19 PM
So, review sites gave it somewhat low ratings, but a lot of people say it's actually an awesome game.

Since it's only 15$, i may think it, but i saw there are 2 versions, one starring an old man (the one sold here), and another one with a young boy (japan.), which one is the main one?.
---
Starting a flame war is easy, the hard part is ending it.
Official funyarinpa of the 999 boards.
#2harcoreblazer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 12:07:10 PM
bump
---
#3kel25Posted 4/6/2013 12:07:56 PM
I don't bother to pay attention to games that don't get released here so I don't know which is the main game or if there even is one.

As for the game. All I can tell you about it is the main story is about trying to rescue the old mans daughter and I spent some time slaying sheep in a field. I played this game a few years ago, even got the platinum, but it was a completely forgettable experience.

I probably wouldn't remember the game at all if it wasn't brought up so often in these forms.

That said, the game is only $15. You might as well give it a chance and see if you like it or not.
---
Sony PS4 Conference = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5SVJw4ZcJY
#4peter_888Posted 4/6/2013 12:13:34 PM
well you can't get the young main protagonist version of the game since that is japan only(unless you can read japananese and are willing to import). So I would get the version with the "old" protagonist since thats the version that got localized.

as for is it worth it. For the story and characters. yeah, its worth it.
for the gameplay? ummm No, it is not worth it. I don't think the gameplay is god awful or anything, but it's probably as basic as you can get in a arpg. and it can get repetitive with how you have to repeat a few stages.(and also fight the same bosses a few times)
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#5harcoreblazer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 12:16:17 PM
peter_888 posted...
well you can't get the young main protagonist version of the game since that is japan only(unless you can read japananese and are willing to import). So I would get the version with the "old" protagonist since thats the version that got localized.

for the gameplay? ummm No, it is not worth it. I don't think the gameplay is god awful or anything, but it's probably as basic as you can get in a arpg. and it can get repetitive with how you have to repeat a few stages.(and also fight the same bosses a few times)

Well story is one of the main aspects i judge in a game so that's a plus, as for gameplay, well it has to be fun and challenging, does it cover those 2?
---
#6JunkBlossomPosted 4/6/2013 12:28:25 PM(edited)
The original Japanese release was a 360 exclusive, featuring the older main character.

I played the PAL 360 version and loved it.

Unsure about the PS3 version.

Graphically, it reminded me a lot of Final Fantasy XI.

Combat is nothing special. The story is great. (You actually need to play through the game 3 times to see the entire story + a 4th time to get the bad ending.)

I had a great time with it.

The biggest negative is that all the sidequests are simply fetch quests, but many are necessary if you want to get every weapon and see certain endings.
#7peter_888Posted 4/6/2013 12:21:50 PM
harcoreblazer posted...
peter_888 posted...

Well story is one of the main aspects i judge in a game so that's a plus, as for gameplay, well it has to be fun and challenging, does it cover those 2?

is it challenging? no, not really. it isn't easy to the point that you be bored with the game(like fable 2 and 3) but it isn't really what I call a challenging game.

is it fun? yeah, it can be a bit fun but as I said. Nier combat system, judging as a action rpg fan, is pretty basic. it works and is functional but I can't really say it's really any better than the most of the combat system in other action rpgs.( Infinite undiscovery, magna carta 2, tales of vesperia, tales of graces F, etc.) So I wouldn't really get nier because of the gameplay.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#8Final_TranPosted 4/7/2013 8:01:37 AM
The gameplay isn't Nierly as good as the story and music
---
No don't eat me, I have a wife and kids, eat them!
~Homer J. Simpson
#9GuardianShadow0Posted 4/7/2013 10:23:10 AM
It's worth it for the story, music, and characters. The gameplay isn't terrible, but not great either. The only differences between the versions is that one is about a man trying to save his daughter and the other is a teenager, I think he's a teenager, trying to save his sister. I personally think that the "father version" is much better storywise.
---
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RYXYmYq3kWc
#10PhaseSlaethePosted 4/7/2013 10:24:11 AM
GuardianShadow0 posted...
It's worth it for the story, music, and characters. The gameplay isn't terrible, but not great either. The only differences between the versions is that one is about a man trying to save his daughter and the other is a teenager, I think he's a teenager, trying to save his sister. I personally think that the "father version" is much better storywise.

This.

The combat is fine, but it needed more.