This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do some people say games today are a lot easier than back then?

#1nativeboi85Posted 4/6/2013 2:42:05 PM
Granted games back then were really hard but again a lot of them were not and easily exploited by cheats etc. by back then I mean the NES/SNES/GEN era, I was playing god of war 2 on the collection and its really kicking my ass, even the new bioshock game I got was pretty tough and I played it on medium, a lot of games I played recently this gen were really hard, yea a lot of games are easy mode but I dont think this era of games are as easy as people make them out to be.
#2RetroFanGirlPosted 4/6/2013 2:43:36 PM
Because they are for the most part, you can't really count exploits.
---
Hi.
#3harcoreblazerPosted 4/6/2013 2:45:56 PM
It really depends on the game and the difficulty selected, games seem to be regaining difficulty thanks to games like Metal Gear Rising (Revengeance mode), or Bioshock Infinite (1999 mode).
---
Starting a flame war is easy, the hard part is ending it.
Official funyarinpa of the 999 boards.
#4Devilman_AmonPosted 4/6/2013 2:46:07 PM
you didn't have to cheat though. That was Game Genie

Now you have pay to cheat too (Street FIghter X Tekken gems)

You have auto regen

You have games that deliberately make short single player campaigns to focus on the multi player despite the improved hard drive and software space and tech

You have dumbed down A.I. and hardly any improvements in A.I.

You have even more QTE

etc etc
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#5harcoreblazerPosted 4/6/2013 2:47:11 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
you didn't have to cheat though. That was Game Genie

Now you have pay to cheat too (Street FIghter X Tekken gems)

You have auto regen

You have games that deliberately make short single player campaigns to focus on the multi player despite the improved hard drive and software space and tech

You have dumbed down A.I. and hardly any improvements in A.I.

You have even more QTE

etc etc

You have described COD (Minus the pay-to-cheat)
---
Starting a flame war is easy, the hard part is ending it.
Official funyarinpa of the 999 boards.
#6LaventorPosted 4/6/2013 2:47:53 PM
RetroFanGirl posted...
Because they are for the most part, you can't really count exploits.

This. You can't compare gaming with cheats vs gaming without cheats to make a fair judgement on which is harder.
#7CronoDynePosted 4/6/2013 2:48:20 PM
People usually fail to recognize that a good majority of these "hard" games were hard because of bad coding, limited or unimaginative choices for the given hardware, or universally bad game designs that have changed over time. Things like bad or wonky controls, instantaneously off screen respawning enemies, push backs into pits, enemies magically appearing right where you land, zero invulnerability after being attacked, awful hitbox detection, glitches, multiple levels with no checkpoints, timers..

Games today have to rely on actual difficulty.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#8ShineboxerPosted 4/6/2013 2:49:04 PM
Because they're fools.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#9Devilman_AmonPosted 4/6/2013 2:53:06 PM
CronoDyne posted...
People usually fail to recognize that a good majority of these "hard" games were hard because of bad coding, limited or unimaginative choices for the given hardware, or universally bad game designs that have changed over time. Things like bad or wonky controls, instantaneously off screen respawning enemies, push backs into pits, enemies magically appearing right where you land, zero invulnerability after being attacked, awful hitbox detection, glitches, multiple levels with no checkpoints, timers..

We still have those problems only now in glorious high definition....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#10SpurnerPosted 4/6/2013 2:54:14 PM
Because Battletoads