This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: Did Resident Evil 4 help or hurt Capcom?

#1BissomoneybagsPosted 4/7/2013 4:57:20 PM
So did they help them or no? - Results (80 votes)
Yes, step in the right direction for Capcom and reinventing later entries.
62.5% (50 votes)
No, too many changes eventually hurt the series for the worse.
37.5% (30 votes)
This poll is now closed.
As much as I love 4, I feel as though with all the changes, they saw fit to make it even more action-ey in 5 and completely diverge from it's roots in 6. What do you guys think?
#2TomoEK9Posted 4/7/2013 5:19:07 PM
Yes and no.

The direction for 4 wasn't a bad thing, it was different and brought the series back to life, and it was starting to become stagnant and cookie cutter in its design.

The unfortunate thing about RE5 was that they took the WRONG elements of RE4 and focused on those, which ended up making the game worse.

RE6 started to take things back a bit, but they are still focusing on the wrong elements and it takes away greatly from what made Resident Evil, well Resident Evil.
#3pixel378Posted 4/7/2013 6:21:03 PM
Re4 is probably the best horror game of all time as far as i'm concerned, the perfect mix of horror and action, terrifying location and atmosphere, cool character, amazing bosses and it was a long game.

they just tipped the scale too far to the action side with 5 which could have been a great game, but it had bad bosses, and just wasn't scary.

6 is where it went really wrong. They tried to do way too much and spread themselves too thin and it shows. Some great sections in it though, Adas was great and some of leons was too.

7 should go back to the basics and try to do re4 again.

AND STOP CENSORING THE DAMN VIOLENCE.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#4vind3dPosted 4/7/2013 6:31:52 PM
Although I preferred the lumbering horde of zombies in RE2 and RE3, the over the shoulder shooter of Leon was a much better viewpoint. And the game style of RE2 and 3 of running to room A, get object x, go to room B use object x to open hidden compartment to get object y, return to room A ... was kinda' dumb after awhile. The map progression of RE4 and RE5 was much superior imho.
---
My favorite app is still the Mute button on my TV's remote.
#5UnderratedGamerPosted 4/7/2013 6:47:05 PM(edited)
Lol hell no.

Resident Evil 4 is extremely overrated in its own series. At least the first three had their own identity to being their own awesome games, then 4 came along and changed the perspective that a plethora of other shooter games had. I'm befuddled to this day as to how people can think that 5 and 6 are the ones that ruined the series when it was 4. Also the over exaggeration of 4's rating.

Tl;dr

People don't have standards nowadays.
---
Regardless of what anyone says, everyone in the world is an Agnostic considering what we truly know.
#6zyrax2301Posted 4/7/2013 6:46:57 PM
Re4 is one of their most successful and best-rated titles, of course it helped them.

Introducing a compulsory AI partner in RE5 is what put the series into decline.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#7akuma634Posted 4/7/2013 6:56:46 PM
How would it hurt them? RE has ALWAYS been action first and the horror is mostly jump scares. The new RE games have better controls and that's about the only real change. For anyone who thinks there's too much action, you've been playing the wrong franchise. Back to the first RE, you could always kill everything in the game and rarely needed to run away (unless you were controlling Sherry in RE2.)
#8crazyman32Posted 4/7/2013 6:57:58 PM
Yes and it's one of my all time favorite games.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I apologize for nothing.
#9THE_PS1_PATRIOTPosted 4/7/2013 7:02:42 PM
Amazing game, bad Resident Evil.
---
PLAYSTATION PATRIOT
#10Video_Game_CzarPosted 4/7/2013 7:17:59 PM
UnderratedGamer posted...
Lol hell no.

Resident Evil 4 is extremely overrated in its own series. At least the first three had their own identity to being their own awesome games, then 4 came along and changed the perspective that a plethora of other shooter games had. I'm befuddled to this day as to how people can think that 5 and 6 are the ones that ruined the series when it was 4. Also the over exaggeration of 4's rating.

Tl;dr

People don't have standards nowadays.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 are pretty much the same game, only 3 was made 10 times easier which is saying alot looking at how easy 2 was to begin with. 4 added a much needed kick in the ass on top of being the industry standard for the last 8 years.

Clearly all the hardcore Resident Evil fans are stupid because the series was going to progress to having faster, smarter enemies...Wasn't Umbrella goal to make bioweapons? The zombies were just a unplanned screw up. Christ, Dino Crisis was more like it...Slow, stupid zombie I can zoom around...Really, What seasoned RE player can't zig-zag around these guys?

But we than always have the smartass "they made it a shooter" remark...Did you played RE2? Did you play RE3? They were action games...RE3 more so. RE4 brought back great atmosphere, sound, on top of more interesting enemies with rock solid shooter mechanics.

"changed the perspective that a plethora of other shooter games had:

Name one Pre-Resident Evil 4 over the shoulder game that was as good? You can't.

Kill. Switch, Winback?...They were stiff as ol' hell.

Overrated? How? It re-wrote third person games...As did Half-Life 2 did with First person...It's sickening to see so many mouth breathers play these games and not be able to appreciate what they've done.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l XBL: VideoGameCzar l Steam: TheVideoGameCzar