This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do racing games lack the popularity of other genres?

#1MlREFOXPosted 4/8/2013 12:28:10 PM
What fuels FPS success? Quick, adrenaline-fueled competition that, like it or not, is at least a bit skill-based and a lot knowledge-based. Racing games do all of that but better. They take far more skill, offer fast, adrenaline-fueled competition, and require learning your lines just like FPS players learn their maps. Yet with the exception of a few big titles, racing games are not nearly as popular as shooters. Will they ever become the top genre?

GRID 2 is coming out in a little over a month and based on its pedigree will be a great game. But we all know it is going to have a small following at best.
#2TomoEK9Posted 4/8/2013 12:34:23 PM
MlREFOX posted...
What fuels FPS success? Quick, adrenaline-fueled competition that, like it or not, is at least a bit skill-based and a lot knowledge-based. Racing games do all of that but better. They take far more skill, offer fast, adrenaline-fueled competition, and require learning your lines just like FPS players learn their maps. Yet with the exception of a few big titles, racing games are not nearly as popular as shooters. Will they ever become the top genre?

GRID 2 is coming out in a little over a month and based on its pedigree will be a great game. But we all know it is going to have a small following at best.

You answered you own question
#3MlREFOX(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 12:37:21 PM
TomoEK9 posted...
MlREFOX posted...

You answered you own question

I would think, though, that skill would invite competition, not necessarily be a barrier to it.
#4este914Posted 4/8/2013 12:37:38 PM
Most of them suck (poor controls, bad physics etc.) or just aren't fun (boring straightforward racers..meh) I personally wish there are more games like Cruis'n World\Exotica, those were some fun racing games. (also enjoyed; N2O, Extreme-G, Top Gear Rally, Jet Moto 2, Crash Team Racing, Mario Kart, etc)
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#5agrissaPosted 4/8/2013 12:38:29 PM
I do prefer PAACGs to PAAGGs indeed.
---
DMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DmC
#6tripZ504Posted 4/8/2013 12:39:10 PM
My experience. Bad online. Love racing games but when I go online. Rooms are filled with kiddies and trolls.

Take NASCAR tgil. Unless its private room you ll end up racing under caution for 20 mins. And gets boring racing the same people over and over again.
---
YouTube - tripz504
#7este914Posted 4/8/2013 12:39:21 PM
agrissa posted...

The problem is. most PAACGs are crap too.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#8Godly_GoofPosted 4/8/2013 12:39:25 PM
Because racing games are terrible aside from games like Mario Kart which at least have a novelty value.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#9SigmaHacielPosted 4/8/2013 12:41:00 PM
How many times can YOU race around the same tracks?

Besides the franchise mish-mash games like Mario, Sonic All Stars, etc., most of the racing games are boring.

The ones that aren't aren't so much racing as just streets and cars.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#10jrr18Posted 4/8/2013 12:43:30 PM
agrissa posted...

Game is inaccurate it's interactive virtual story so
PAAGIVS and PAACIVS
---
Victory over the leprechaun werewolves through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101