This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people consider Arkham Asylum a metroidvania?

#1knightoffire55Posted 4/8/2013 12:29:06 PM
There was no point in the game where I went and looked for new areas to explore after gaining a new move.
---
Enough is enough I have had it with these motherf****ing vampires in this motherf****ing rain.
#2scythecamPosted 4/8/2013 12:29:49 PM
Then you were doing it wrong
---
One-and-Donecos
#3nihilist212Posted 4/8/2013 12:34:22 PM
scythecam posted...

---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#4RyuuHou25Posted 4/8/2013 12:38:54 PM
nihilist212 posted...
scythecam posted...

---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#5RayconPosted 4/8/2013 12:39:45 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
nihilist212 posted...
scythecam posted...

---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#6DualShooter23Posted 4/8/2013 12:40:17 PM
Man you really have to think about it........the whole game is gaining new abilities to gain access to new areas. Freeze bombs? Mine diffuser thing? Wall to wall zipline? Not only that, but also to complete challenges and riddles you need new abilities all the time. Not sure what game you were playing. Also exaggeration that the WHOLE game is about that......but it is a big part man.
#7ChaoticKnucklesPosted 4/8/2013 12:43:31 PM
It has more direction compared to classic Metroid but the gameplay progression is the same. The map is essentially open to you from the beginning but there are areas that are blocked off until you obtain certain items and there are definitely secret areas that can only be accessed after obtaining items or skills and backtracking.

And if you beat the game then there were more than a few instances where you backtracked through an area where you'd already been and used an item you didn't have the first time to open up a new path and progress further into the story. Perhaps you didn't think about it at the time because the game funnels you into doing those things so you might not consciously realize that it's happening.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#8VigilantStevePosted 4/8/2013 1:08:28 PM
Raycon posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
nihilist212 posted...
scythecam posted...
#9wstfldPosted 4/8/2013 1:20:23 PM
Raycon posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
nihilist212 posted...
scythecam posted...

---
Last Played: Star Craft 2 HOTS (9.5/10)
Now Playing: SOTC HD, StarCraft 2, Wipeout 2048, Mortal Kombat (Vita), God of War Ascension
#10RockSauronPosted 4/8/2013 1:21:44 PM
Curses! You can only have 5 quote blocks in a single message.

CURSE YOU, GAMEFAQS!

... But yeah.

You were doing it wrong.
---
Hi. I rawk.