This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whatever Happened to Video Game AI?

#1ElBorak77Posted 4/8/2013 7:18:16 PM
"Gather round fellow gamers, young and old, and I'll tell you a tale of a golden age long past, when the creatures that roam our virtual landscapes stepped blinking into the sunlight for the first time, picked up a thigh bone and smashed stuff with it. 1998 was the year, and Half-Life the game. It brought us Marines who were seemingly capable of outflanking the player, and flushing them out with smartly thrown grenades. Even its roaches responded to light, movement and smell."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/08/whatever-happened-to-video-game-ai
---
PSN El_Borak_77
#2Skull007o_OPosted 4/8/2013 7:26:59 PM(edited)
Casual audience. Games aren't played on arcade machines anymore, where the AI wrecked you so you needed to insert another coin
#3DevilTears604Posted 4/8/2013 7:37:24 PM
Elizabeth is an excellent piece of game AI.
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Dead Space 3, GoW: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V
#4Godly_GoofPosted 4/8/2013 7:39:26 PM
The better question is. What happened to bots?
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#5RetroFanGirlPosted 4/8/2013 7:52:35 PM
The AI really wasn't that great, its just no one is putting in any effort now :(
---
Hi.
#6zerooo0Posted 4/8/2013 7:56:15 PM
DevilTears604 posted...

This. Also Borderlands 2 has awesome AI.
---
Rumors=Facts now. Science has proved this.-Xbox 360 Board
#7DarkSymbiotePosted 4/8/2013 7:59:01 PM

No it isn't. She doesn't even do anything that would consider her programming to be "smart". She does hit others and aren't targeted by enemies either. The item throwing doesn't count since those are based on a cooldown system and you have to accept the.
---
Liquor is powerful. But Soda is solid.
#8hyperpowderPosted 4/8/2013 7:59:12 PM
Dark Souls AI is wall punching hard
#9zerooo0Posted 4/8/2013 8:01:28 PM
DarkSymbiote posted...

No it isn't. She doesn't even do anything that would consider her programming to be "smart". She does hit others and aren't targeted by enemies either. The item throwing doesn't count since those are based on a cooldown system and you have to accept the.

This post is ignorant. Elizabeth is a Smart AI, and she's not paper weight carrying around through the whole game. Never once have I seen her just walk straight into walls.That so many AI do on these current gen games.
---
Rumors=Facts now. Science has proved this.-Xbox 360 Board
#10NicodimusPosted 4/8/2013 8:03:43 PM
Have you ever seen Idiocracy? The first five minutes explain that the stupid people are out-breeding the smart ones, and...what can I tell you? The programmers have adjusted their AI accordingly.
---
My gaming and movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU