This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ever notice how RPGs get judged more harshly than single player based Shooters?

#1originalhipsterPosted 4/9/2013 8:24:49 AM
An RPG has to be absolutely ground-breaking to score a 9 or higher. It has to literally redine itself and be top notch in every way. Gameplay mechanics needs massive depth. Enviroments need to be huge, detailed and interactive. Music has to be top notch. It has to have content that will last 40+ hours easily just for the barebones stuff. Example: Xenoblade

For single player based shooters? Just have a 20-30 something white male shoot up the same generic zombies/bad guys with little variation while he goes through a corridor with pretty pre-rendered backgrounds. Bam. 9/10 game.
---
I was a hipster way before it was cool.
#2DarkSymbiotePosted 4/9/2013 8:27:13 AM
An RPG has to be absolutely ground-breaking to score a 9 or higher. It has to literally redine itself and be top notch in every way. Gameplay mechanics needs massive depth.

Skyrim has none of that. BTW, I like Skyrim.

I understand what you are saying though. 6 hour borefests where you don't even see the main character gets 9 everywhere.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#3ShineboxerPosted 4/9/2013 8:29:04 AM
Because JRPG have become nothing but generic.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#4superbuu3Posted 4/9/2013 8:30:01 AM
Uh I agree and disagree, I think its harder for RPGs to get a high rating, but they rarely get abyssmally low ratings.

Record of agerest was really bad and i think that didn't even get a ridiculously bad score like it deserved.

On the other side of things RPGs seem to be carried on series name and development studios. A new company in the RPG world would most likely get trounced compared to a renowned series or company who released the same game.
---
razielsdomain.forumotion.net
A chilled out forum where basically anything goes. (Members have greater access and no ads).
#5vashtrichamPosted 4/9/2013 8:30:35 AM
Agree your generic rehash FPS will get atleast a 7-9, while a generic rehash rpg would get a 4-6 . A good to great FPS automatically gets a 8.5-10 while a good to great rpg will usually get a 6.5-8
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#6originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 8:33:07 AM
vashtricham posted...
Agree your generic rehash FPS will get atleast a 7-9, while a generic rehash rpg would get a 4-6 . A good to great FPS automatically gets a 8.5-10 while a good to great rpg will usually get a 6.5-8

Agreed. It's not just FPS either. 3rd person shooters also get a lot of leniency.

Basically RPGs have to fly to get the same score a single player shooter gets for walking.
---
#7originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 8:38:31 AM
6 hour borefests where you don't even see the main character gets 9 everywhere.

True. Let's not underestimate how outrageously short these games are.

The same 6 hours in an RPG will probably have more variety. And RPGs on average are 5X longer. That's just sad.
---
#8jrr18Posted 4/9/2013 8:38:42 AM
originalhipster posted...
vashtricham posted...

Agreed. It's not just FPS either. 3rd person shooters also get a lot of leniency.

Basically RPGs have to fly to get the same score a single player shooter gets for walking.

All skyrim did was slightly improve the animation and bump the graphics up a notch and it got several GOTY awards so maybe it’s only turn based jrpg’s that haven’t changed since the 90s that are expected to update something.
---
Victory over the leprechaun werewolves through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#9cirkmetroidPosted 4/9/2013 8:39:46 AM
There is no need to differentiate between an FPS and a third person shooter. I mean, the game is different, because you see a character? Nope, it's not.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
Argue some more about your opinion of a game. No one is interested.
#10originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 8:41:43 AM
jrr18 posted...
originalhipster posted...
vashtricham posted...

All skyrim did was slightly improve the animation and bump the graphics up a notch and it got several GOTY awards so maybe it’s only turn based jrpg’s that haven’t changed since the 90s that are expected to update something.

At least Skyrim has a huge open world for you to explore and a ton of content.

It no doubt took much more effort to make than your typical single player shooter.
---