This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ever notice how RPGs get judged more harshly than single player based Shooters?

#31Godly_GoofPosted 4/9/2013 11:08:18 AM
Shineboxer posted...
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
It's because people judge video games subjectively. If a game is doing something unoriginal but it's something that you enjoy a lot then you're going to judge it more favorably than a game that does something unoriginal that you absolutely can't stand. Maybe more people just enjoy shooting people in the face than stat management and turn based combat.

So less IQ more pew pew? Sound reasoning.

So you're suggesting that RPG's take more I.Q to play?

Please, try not to think you're any less elitist with that argument.

Am I wrong? Or are you just going to spout contradiction.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#32kupo1705Posted 4/9/2013 11:08:57 AM
gumbyxcore99 posted...
shooters also have multiplayer which is what people play them for now. they add infinite playtime to a game.

jrpgs are also an older genre than FPS, i mean yeah they had fps back in the day but they didn't really become mainstream until halo came out. plus a lot of those older JRPGS were seriously good games, the genre hasn't really made any strides or improvements in advancing the genre plus the quality of game has gone down significantly. plus western rpgs have gained more traction in the past decade

FPS have been extremely popular since the days of Doom.
#33A_Nonny_MoosePosted 4/9/2013 11:09:23 AM
From: originalhipster | Posted: 4/9/2013 5:24:49 PM | #001
For single player based shooters? Just have a 20-30 something white male shoot up the same generic zombies/bad guys with little variation while he goes through a corridor with pretty pre-rendered backgrounds. Bam. 9/10 game.

Examples?
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#34ChaoticKnucklesPosted 4/9/2013 11:16:40 AM
To be clear I don't base my thoughts about someone's IQ on their entertainment choices. Some people like to be challenged intellectually in television, films, games, etc. and other people want to turn their brains off when they're being entertained. Doesn't mean they're any less intelligent, it's just a difference of preferences. I like to think I'm a fairly intelligent individual yet there are songs and movies that I love, yet I know they're completely stupid. Doesn't stop me from enjoying them.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#35LaventorPosted 4/9/2013 11:23:12 AM
Bronze_Stuff posted...

It wasn't that bad. it had bugs, but people exaggerate. This isn't New Vegas. That game had bugs like crazy. This game was fine. FFVI, often praised as one of the best JRPGs, is a glitch filled mess, should we say that something like FFVIII is a better game because it's less buggy?

Really? I distinctly remember so many bugs in Graces when it first came out on the Wii that it had a recall. JRPGs are rehashed as well. And length does not make a better game, some developers of JRPGs get this, and some don't, and a lot of JRPGs have ludicrous padding and it shows. It's annoying, and it deserves to lose points for such.

I don't exaggerate on Skyrim tbh, I've played it on pc and ps3, albeit ps3 first and platinum'd it, god knows how I sat through it on that with as many freezes and exceptional fps drops it had. It should've never been released on PS3 in the state it had been. PC was better but not nearly bug free. It was acceptable fine upon release. I can't argue how bad it was compared to Fallout games as I haven't played any of them though, but it doesn't excuse Skyrim. Irony has it they're both from Bethesda and they should've learned from past mistakes.

Can't really comment on Graces for the Wii so I'll take your word for it, only played the PS3 version and I actually encountered no bugs at all, same for the well-hated Final Fantasy XIII games. I actually prefer FF VIII over VI either way, so I don't really care which is the 'better' game. The only arguement I made in terms of better game due bugs is that Skyrim did not deserve GOTY for the amount of bugs it released with. What is a better game is fully subjective anyhow, but JRPG's need to work harder than (most) other genres to deserve their marks. There's often a lot of optional stuff you don't need to do anyhow.
#36Bronze_StuffPosted 4/9/2013 11:27:58 AM
Except that "padding" is subjective, 90% of the time it's a lot of optional stuff that you don't HAVE to do, just extra stuff you can do if you want.

Characters speaking redundantly isn't subjective. A perfect example is say... Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. About 75% of the dialogue is redundant. Sidequests are not padding the game. That's extra content. Unstoppable things that are clearly put in there to slow you down on the other hand is idiotic.

And before people say "it's just quests full of go to A kill X amount of B" that's pretty much the extent of what quest can be, it's pretty much impossible to make totally new and original quest idea :/

No it's not. Look at Mass Effect 2 for instance, some of the loyalty missions are specifically NOT killing things. There are ways to mix it up.
---
Jimbo.
#37Bronze_StuffPosted 4/9/2013 11:30:05 AM
Laventor posted...
Bronze_Stuff posted...

It wasn't that bad. it had bugs, but people exaggerate. This isn't New Vegas. That game had bugs like crazy. This game was fine. FFVI, often praised as one of the best JRPGs, is a glitch filled mess, should we say that something like FFVIII is a better game because it's less buggy?

Really? I distinctly remember so many bugs in Graces when it first came out on the Wii that it had a recall. JRPGs are rehashed as well. And length does not make a better game, some developers of JRPGs get this, and some don't, and a lot of JRPGs have ludicrous padding and it shows. It's annoying, and it deserves to lose points for such.

I don't exaggerate on Skyrim tbh, I've played it on pc and ps3, albeit ps3 first and platinum'd it, god knows how I sat through it on that with as many freezes and exceptional fps drops it had. It should've never been released on PS3 in the state it had been. PC was better but not nearly bug free. It was acceptable fine upon release. I can't argue how bad it was compared to Fallout games as I haven't played any of them though, but it doesn't excuse Skyrim. Irony has it they're both from Bethesda and they should've learned from past mistakes.

Can't really comment on Graces for the Wii so I'll take your word for it, only played the PS3 version and I actually encountered no bugs at all, same for the well-hated Final Fantasy XIII games. I actually prefer FF VIII over VI either way, so I don't really care which is the 'better' game. The only arguement I made in terms of better game due bugs is that Skyrim did not deserve GOTY for the amount of bugs it released with. What is a better game is fully subjective anyhow, but JRPG's need to work harder than (most) other genres to deserve their marks. There's often a lot of optional stuff you don't need to do anyhow.

Maybe you were just unlucky. No one else around me ran into that many glitches. Some, but most of them weren't gamebreaking I'll say that much.

It was terrible on the Wii. Most problems were fixed on the PS3 (if not all of them). But that's the thing, as a product it shouldn't have, in terms of how much fun you could have? Most people voted Skyrim. That's all. I don't think JRPGs have to work any harder than anyone else. Most JRPGs got decent enough marks in the PS2 era for instance.
---
Jimbo.
#38jorgestevensonPosted 4/9/2013 11:58:48 AM
Since nobody in this thread will make any specific arguments about this trend in FPS getting higher-than-deserved scores and RPGs getting lower-than-deserved scores, this thread can officially be written off as baseless elitism.
#39ChaoticKnucklesPosted 4/10/2013 10:42:06 AM
jorgestevenson posted...
Since nobody in this thread will make any specific arguments about this trend in FPS getting higher-than-deserved scores and RPGs getting lower-than-deserved scores, this thread can officially be written off as baseless elitism.

I think some of the previous posters have actually given example of what they see as FPS favoritism. I don't personally agree but they're at least trying to support their point of view with evidence, so I wouldn't call it elitism.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#40ScreamingMidgetPosted 4/10/2013 10:46:21 AM
Only Japanese ones. Most Western ones are generic as hell with crappy gameplay and still get 9s thrown at them.