This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any love for the Agarest War games?

#1Phantom0708Posted 4/9/2013 11:23:11 AM
I keep seeing people say the agarest games were terrible

I don't understand it. I loved the first one to death (but dear lord did some battles get repetitive)

Zero was good too

Agarest 2 is my favorite of the three, mainly because I like it's battle system better than the previous two

I enjoyed the story quite a bit, the games had pretty amazing art, and good music

Anyone else like them?
---
GT: Devilwillcry42 PSN: Raidoukuzunoha42
My name is Kanji Tatsumi, you said I like dudes, prepare to die.
#2DelsinRowePosted 4/9/2013 11:23:51 AM
The Agarest games were terrible.
---
You are not in control.
#3Phantom0708(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 11:24:37 AM
DelsinRowe posted...

Provide a reason or get out please

This is an appreciation topic, dangit
---
GT: Devilwillcry42 PSN: Raidoukuzunoha42
My name is Kanji Tatsumi, you said I like dudes, prepare to die.
#4TheTrueNubPosted 4/9/2013 11:25:22 AM
I tried to play Zero.

I absolutely loathed it. It was one of my least favorite games this gen.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png
#5DelsinRowePosted 4/9/2013 11:28:43 AM
Phantom0708 posted...
DelsinRowe posted...

The reason they are terrible is because I said they were.
---
You are not in control.
#6Ghost_61636Posted 4/9/2013 11:29:32 AM
DelsinRowe posted...
Phantom0708 posted...
DelsinRowe posted...

I don't care about you so your post is irrelevant.
---
"Sony should make a Blu-Ray less PS3"-videogamer1030
#7DelsinRowePosted 4/9/2013 11:31:06 AM
Ghost_61636 posted...
DelsinRowe posted...
Phantom0708 posted...
DelsinRowe posted...

I don't care about you so your post is irrelevant.

I am God. Looks like you just earned a trip to hell.
---
You are not in control.
#8MaliciousMongoPosted 4/9/2013 11:39:28 AM
I did. I enjoyed the tag team battle mechanics as well as the monster farming (made it seem like a stripped down SMT/Pokemon game) as well as how picking your romantic interest affects your character's look and starting stat development at the next generation.

Granted, it's not for everybody and if you don't care for the battle system off the bat, you might as well trash it.
---
"[The name] Dreamcast makes me think of rainbows and males kissing." - HollowPinky on Nintendo's console name change to Wii
#9Bronze_StuffPosted 4/9/2013 11:43:02 AM
Phantom0708 posted...
DelsinRowe posted...

It's a gameplay based RPG that has palette swaps within the first 5 hours of you playing it. It's a SRPG that discourages movement because AP gives you a better chance of acting first. Range rarely ever matters because if you sync up with your partners you have as much range as your longest range attack, so the lines between physical and magic are lost thanks to such a system. Defense stops mattering after the earlier parts of the game. After Gen 2 it's pretty much an offense fest to see who will hit first.

The menus are sloppy for such a menu based system. Changing party members requires you to drop a person from the roster to replace them with someone else. I haven't seen this since early PC games, it was annoying then, and it's just jarring now. Character abilities are based off of a combination of weapon and the unit itself (an interesting concept to say the least), but the problem is that sometimes a weapon has a good set of skills that could be equipped for it, but simply doesn't have the raw stats to make up for it, and skills almost never make up for brute force in this game.

The characters are cardboard cutouts and barely receive any development at all and the ones that stick around never actually evolve over time-- which would be okay if they were interesting in the first place, but they aren't. Characters often join simply for the sake of a new party member. This wouldn't be so bad if the narrative itself were good, but it's not. You're stopping evil from coming back-- cool, but it's strung together through a bunch of nonsensical events. No matter how awesome it is to literally beat the tar out of evil spanning over 5 continents, it's not that awesome when you consider that evil doesn't really have much of a face, and is just really some "force" that's in the shadows not really having clear goals.

Level progression is ridiculous. Some enemies are laughably easy and then walking into another section will have enemies curbstomp you with relative ease. This wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to find some sort of progression, but even gear must be primarily found or refined by the player or purchased from the Adventure Guild (which is far too costly to make it worth your while in the main scheme of things). Monster capturing is a very unrewarding system considering how hard it is to catch the little jerks. Even worse is the fusion portion of the monster system is never cleared up for the player, and the items received from monsters are generally not worth the effort.

Character customization doesn't really matter much sense the characters all have ranks for the stats. What's the point of leveling up Borgnine's Int when it cost like 5 points to raise it ONE point and only 2 to raise Ellis's? Granted Ellis is a lot better of a unit than Borgnine, but the point still stands. The character customization is so limited, that you'll wonder why such a system was even implemented in the first place. It really doesn't serve much of a purpose either. It's just forcing you to allocate your character's points for no real reason. Oh, and some characters are just terrible in this game. Like tree dude, he's pretty okay when you first get him, but man, he's not keeping up with the rest of your good units like Winfield. It's just not happening. Oh, and some characters are completely free while some require you to pay a ton of money to keep using them. That's real fair. NOT.

That said, playing as a man's entire legacy he left behind (and having the chain be customizable based on the woman of your choice) is really badass. But there's no way in hell the awesomeness of such a feature can make up for the rest of the garbage you have to put up with.
---
Jimbo.
#10itachi-hatakePosted 4/9/2013 11:44:09 AM
my first agarest war game was zero , it was pretty interesting . i ended up trading it in , the horrible battle system ..... dear god.. if they redid the battle system and changed it similar to like uhhh FF9 or maybe disgaea . maybe it would help save the series or something
---
You need to burn your dread and burn this topic