This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Some comments and questions about 'Loli' and 'Moe' games.

#1Justice98405Posted 4/9/2013 3:51:30 PM
I've played a quite a few JRPG's over the years, and I'm old enough to go back to the Atari 2600 and Commodore 64, so I've been videogaming for a LONG time. :)

Somewhere in the area of the last and current gen's I have become MUCH more critical of JRPG's, and only buy a select few that are impressive enough to me, I've grown tired of the lack of overall depth in the sub-genre. Teen and sometimes even pre-teen main characters and super cliche storys and all of that have taken their toll. But when there's a good one, I take notice. Lost Odyssey was AWESOME. So is Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii. Resonance of Fate is quite cool, etc. I've also never been big on the Loli and Moe-focused type of stuff, it's just never been an interest for me personally when I'm looking at games.

Two games I had looked into and decided to pass on were Hyperdimenson Neptunia and anything in the Atlier series for PS3. However, a while back Play-Asia had a great sale and I had some tax money left over, so I bought both Hyperdimension and it's 'sequel' mk2 as well as Atelier Totori: Adventurer of Arland (I bought this one of the three as it sounded like the best one, and apparently has the least intrusive usage of the series' time management system). Hyperdimenion is VERY rough around the edges, and very archaic in some design choices, but it's also got enough charn that I stuck with it, the premise and the characters/dialogue that are pretty decent kept me going. Now I'm playing mk2 which is a BIG improvement in almost every area. I'm still VERY early into Totori, but it's also pretty fun, light-hearted and has some charm to it as well.

What I'm trying to figure out is have I been overly tough on these Loli/Moe-focused games? Or maybe am I just giving these games extra breathing room because I paid for them, and I'm TRYING to like them and justify the purchase, more so than the game actually being good?

I wonder, if anyone reads this far of this big post, what you all think? Regardless, Hyperdimension has kinda grown on me, and I plan to buy the new Victory game this month if the money allows. Totori I actually have the Vita's Plus version now, and gave my PS3 copy to a friend. I had money in my PSN Wallet and said what the hell and bought that version.

But it it's not just me, if these types of games actually are overall kinda charming and fun, if you can find the right ones, I'd love some recommendations. I've got PS3, 360 (try to stay away from it though, mine's unreliable and I'm getting sick of that and RROD's), Wii, Wii U, Gamecube (my Wii), 3DS and DS (with my 3DS XL) and Vita, with whatever PSP games can be played on a Vita. And PC too, I suppose.

So if you get through all this, and have some ideas/suggestions, I'm all ears.
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#2SigmaHacielPosted 4/9/2013 3:52:34 PM
If you like the game, you like the game.

It being something that uses a style you don't typically like, doesn't mean that you've overlooked a ton of games because of that style.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#3xWantPosted 4/9/2013 4:02:48 PM(edited)
You'll enjoy Victory alot. I found mk2 pretty weird at first but it grew on me instantly when a friend made me play it for a few hours at her place. I then preordered Victory Limited Edition BEFORE buying my own ps3 to play it. I got it shortly and it's just been nothing but awesomeness. If you like it, you like it. It's that simple. It makes consist references to other media and that's what keeps me hooked. I think I'm a bit too hooked. (Shirt, Poster , Pin,Ps3 theme,and Limited Edition Lunch boxes)

As for games, I'd have to say try Mugen Souls if you want a light hearted story.
Disegea 3-4 are light hearted and fun as well
Persona 4 Golden is great too but you probably have that already
---
Currently Playing :Persona 4 Arena, HDN Victory
PSN : AntiGenjou
#4Justice98405(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 3:59:03 PM
I certainly agree with that, Ni no Kuni is a perfect example. I don't care for the Anime look and the art design, but the demo and game was good enough that I don't mind. It's not BAD, but that element is not my thing, but the rest of the game is good enough that it's all good.

Maybe that's what it was, to a degree. Maybe with Hyperdimension the quirky and sometimes funny characters and the overall interesting concept were enough to power through all the muck and lackluster elements. Heh.

Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment too. LOL.
---
To the mattresses.
#5xWantPosted 4/9/2013 4:03:49 PM
HDN -1st installment- is a hard game to swallow...

I also tried that gameplay was kinda bad. I skipped to mk2.
---
Currently Playing :Persona 4 Arena, HDN Victory
PSN : AntiGenjou
#6AlltraPosted 4/9/2013 4:12:14 PM
"Charm" doesn't make any sense to me, because it's such an arbitrary and meaningless term, like calling something "Cool". That, and I honestly feel like you could replace the term "Charming" with "Lighthearted and Kiddy / Juvenile".

Loli, Moe, Fanservice, I've never really cared for any of that stuff in the RPGs I've played. I find it detracts from my enjoyment of the ones I have played.

I especially dislike the abstract craziness of a lot of Japanese games. I've said it before, but it often feels to me like the Japanese have an aversion to seriousness. They can't seem to maintain a sense of tension or seriousness without breaking out into some kind of crazy happenstance to lighten the mood, like having a cute fuzzy bunny burst through a wall and start throwing rainbows and lolipops at the bad guys, or some other stupidly crazy event that completely dissolves the tension. It feels very inappropriate and jarring, and it annoys me every time it happens, like somebody sticking their wet finger in your ear might annoy you.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#7Justice98405(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 4:42:45 PM
"I especially dislike the abstract craziness of a lot of Japanese games. I've said it before, but it often feels to me like the Japanese have an aversion to seriousness. They can't seem to maintain a sense of tension or seriousness without breaking out into some kind of crazy happenstance to lighten the mood, like having a cute fuzzy bunny burst through a wall and start throwing rainbows and lolipops at the bad guys, or some other stupidly crazy event that completely dissolves the tension. It feels very inappropriate and jarring, and it annoys me every time it happens, like somebody sticking their wet finger in your ear might annoy you."

I TOTALLY agree with you, that's why I've been so picky with my JRPG's in the last few years. However, that all being said and agreed with by me, I'm also finding that it seems like if I can just take a game for 'what it is' and accept that, it seems to help. I've got Mass Effect and Skyrim and The Witcher 2 and so on for the serious/mature game. So if I need a dose of that, they're on my shelf too. But sometimes something crazy, or insane, or even Loli or Moe can be fun it seems.

And then there are dudes like Suda, I get his games BECAUSE they're crazy and over the top and don't make much sense. That IS his focus, and you go in knowing that.
---
To the mattresses.
#8SigmaHacielPosted 4/9/2013 4:46:37 PM
Being constantly serious makes NOTHING serious. You need the contrast. Otherwise, the serious atmosphere dampens itself.

Then again, we have things that did that concept TOO much. Persona 4 for instance.

"Oh god! X is dead!

-Cut to Junes-

Yay! Lunch at Junes~!"

But the fact remains that Japan has been losing its mind lately with their output in the gaming world, let alone other avenues. Anime/manga, etc. That much is just obvious. What happened to the old franchises that were amazing?

And if you don't get what "charm" is in regards to gaming, you are 12 and NEW to gaming.
---
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#9AlltraPosted 4/9/2013 4:48:01 PM
I didn't say they were constantly being serious though. I have no problem with some lightheartedness and humor when it's appropriate, but I don't want what should be and is a serious event to be interrupted by some stupid clown.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#10SigmaHacielPosted 4/9/2013 4:49:06 PM
Alltra posted...
I didn't say they were constantly being serious though. I have no problem with some lightheartedness and humor when it's appropriate, but I don't want what should be and is a serious event to be interrupted by some stupid clown.

Nobody likes unnecessary tension. And if said clown is acting how he always has, who cares. It is his persona.
---