This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Some comments and questions about 'Loli' and 'Moe' games.

#11RollingCradlePosted 4/9/2013 4:49:51 PM
Alotta games take theirself way too seriously nowadays anyway.
#12Godly_GoofPosted 4/9/2013 4:50:25 PM
Speaking of abstract wackiness. Soooo much this attack XD

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fOi5a9IpbF8
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#13AlltraPosted 4/9/2013 4:55:49 PM(edited)
I didn't say it was unnecessary either, because it's not. It's completely appropriate levels of seriousness and tension that are being ruined by inappropriate instances and levels of craziness.

It would be like, if during the scene in FFVII where Sephiroth kills Aerith, while Cloud is saying goodbye to her in that poinant, serious, and very moving moment, a giant colorful fish jumps out of the lake and slaps him the face and then starts moaning like Vanille on Hecatonchier and talking dirty to him.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#14xWantPosted 4/9/2013 5:07:46 PM
I've seen something like this happening in Mk2 and Mugen Souls, it got annoyed me a little lol
---
Currently Playing :Persona 4 Arena, HDN Victory
PSN : AntiGenjou
#15LevittaPosted 4/9/2013 5:30:29 PM
Alltra posted...
"Charm" doesn't make any sense to me, because it's such an arbitrary and meaningless term, like calling something "Cool". That, and I honestly feel like you could replace the term "Charming" with "Lighthearted and Kiddy / Juvenile".

Loli, Moe, Fanservice, I've never really cared for any of that stuff in the RPGs I've played. I find it detracts from my enjoyment of the ones I have played.

I especially dislike the abstract craziness of a lot of Japanese games. I've said it before, but it often feels to me like the Japanese have an aversion to seriousness. They can't seem to maintain a sense of tension or seriousness without breaking out into some kind of crazy happenstance to lighten the mood, like having a cute fuzzy bunny burst through a wall and start throwing rainbows and lolipops at the bad guys, or some other stupidly crazy event that completely dissolves the tension. It feels very inappropriate and jarring, and it annoys me every time it happens, like somebody sticking their wet finger in your ear might annoy you.

Charm is often short hand for having a distinct amount of personality either with its characters or the aesthetic. I can agree that it can often be used interchangeably with being lighthearted, but not juvenile.

Thats an interesting look at tension, but could you give some examples. Also that abstract craziness, usually is based on differences in culture where its likely not so abstract or even crazy in Japan.
---
Trails in the Sky for the PSP, has the best writing and setting I've seen in a RPG. Please support it so the sequels can come out.
#16KenauePosted 4/9/2013 6:31:56 PM
Moe? Can't say I've heard that one before.
---
HOCKEY'S BACK! GO PREDS! WELCOME BACK TO SMASHVILLE!
PSN: Lord_CBH / Live: LordCBH / Nintendo Network: LordCBH
#17Justice98405(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 8:23:56 AM
I'm gonna post again to give this topic one more chance.

And I'll add this, what is everyone's favorite 'Loli' game or game series? As I've played so few of them, I pretty much have to default to Hyperdimension Neptunia, mainly mk2, since it makes a lot of improvements. I Haven't played Totori enough to know if it rates higher for me.
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#18Stanger5150Posted 4/10/2013 8:26:00 AM
At your age, you're still taking stupid terms like "loli" seriously? Smack yourself.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
#19superbowl54Posted 4/10/2013 8:31:47 AM
Justice98405 posted...
I certainly agree with that, Ni no Kuni is a perfect example. I don't care for the Anime look and the art design, but the demo and game was good enough that I don't mind. It's not BAD, but that element is not my thing, but the rest of the game is good enough that it's all good.

Maybe that's what it was, to a degree. Maybe with Hyperdimension the quirky and sometimes funny characters and the overall interesting concept were enough to power through all the muck and lackluster elements. Heh.

Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment too. LOL.

I think alot of people who played and like the first game would agree 100 % with you (myself included). The characters and the incredibly unique concept kept it going, despite the abysmal gameplay.

However, Mk2 was a let-down in terms of the comedy and overall story. I personally like Nepgear, but alot of people didn't like her much as the main character (which is actually a running joke throughout Victory, the third game)

I suggest buying Victory once you're done with those. It makes further improvements to the gameplay in Mk2 but brings back the quirky and charming story from the first game. It's the best in the series imo.
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, ZOE HD, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC
#20TerotrousPosted 4/10/2013 8:48:29 AM
Alltra posted...
"Charm" doesn't make any sense to me, because it's such an arbitrary and meaningless term, like calling something "Cool".

Charm definitely does exist, even if it's hard to define, because there's generally pretty wide agreement on which games have it. If it was arbitrary there'd be no consensus.

In general, charm refers to writing or atmosphere that endears itself to the player in a heartwarming manner. This necessarily excludes dark or gritty games, however they have an analogous term for good writing / atmosphere, usually "gripping" or "compelling". Many people find these concepts somewhat nebulous, but when a game does it very well people can usually agree that it's present.

Alltra posted...
I especially dislike the abstract craziness of a lot of Japanese games. I've said it before, but it often feels to me like the Japanese have an aversion to seriousness.

Shin Megami Tensei?

SMT Devil Survivor is one of the tensest games I've ever played, to the extent it was actually somewhat uncomfortable to play. It's an awesome game, but it definitely doesn't let up at any point.

(This is definitely an example of a game that was "gripping")
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery