This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When's the right time to end a series?

#1DevilTears604Posted 4/9/2013 7:56:52 PM
So there seems to be a lot of discussion about when a series has worn out its welcome. Obviously, Resident Evil is the main mention, but there have been others like Call of Duty and GTA that have been brought up.

Then on the other side, there are studios like Naughty Dog who seem to tend toward working on a certain series until the next one comes up, then dropping it completely ala Jak and Daxter being dropped completely when they started working on Uncharted, and now with Last of Us, I'm assuming Uncharted is done.

So when is there a right time, if there is EVEN such a thing as a right time, to put a series to rest for good?

Me personally, I love the God of War games, but I feel like they shouldn't make God of War IV. III was the perfect way to cap Kratos' story, and I feel like he should go out on top like that.
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Dead Space 3, GoW: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V
#2RioichiCooperPosted 4/9/2013 7:59:15 PM
It should be ended when it appears that it cannot be refined any more and nothing can be added without seeming out of place. Unfortunately in this day and age, a series will most likely end if it doesn't meet the often lofty expectations.
---
All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster: four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes.
#3A_Nonny_MoosePosted 4/9/2013 8:01:33 PM
From: DevilTears604 | Posted: 4/10/2013 4:56:52 AM | #001
Then on the other side, there are studios like Naughty Dog who seem to tend toward working on a certain series until the next one comes up, then dropping it completely ala Jak and Daxter being dropped completely when they started working on Uncharted, and now with Last of Us, I'm assuming Uncharted is done.

I wouldn't assume that. Up to Uncharted 2, Naughty Dog was a single team. Which is why they only worked on one game at a time and dropped an old series when they started a new one. But they split into two teams to make Uncharted 3 and develop The Last of Us at the same time. There's been no word on what the Uncharted 3 are doing now.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#4kingofall214Posted 4/9/2013 8:11:56 PM
When the games stop selling. That is the only answer. So long as people keep buying it then it says that people want more.

The only thing that suffers from this is games with important stories. GTA and COD can keep coming out because it doesn't effect the integrity of the story because there isn't one really.

It's why Mario games to this day sell as well as they do.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#5akuma634Posted 4/9/2013 8:15:31 PM
I would say when there's nothing left to add to the franchise. For example Dynasty Warriors, I don't even think this series really needed to go current gen, it ran its course on the PS2 and wore out its welcome with most gamers. I think too the status of Mega Man is that it's a franchise that goes back the 80's and nobody knows the best way to make a big budget AAA game of it so it's pretty much in limbo with fanboys jimmies in a constant state of maximum over rustle at the publisher. There's a point where you can't do much more than beat a dead horse. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater went from reaching perfection to alienating it's entire fanbase as well as taking bad gambles like a game based around an accessory that didn't work. There's a point where you should either retire the series of put it hiatus until somebody comes up with a great idea. Not every franchise was made to go on forever, it's like Super Mario can always reinvent itself and be a system seller but you can't assume every IP has that potential.
#6DevilTears604(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 9:01:33 PM
kingofall214 posted...
When the games stop selling. That is the only answer. So long as people keep buying it then it says that people want more.

The only thing that suffers from this is games with important stories. GTA and COD can keep coming out because it doesn't effect the integrity of the story because there isn't one really.

It's why Mario games to this day sell as well as they do.

That may depend on your own personal interpretation of an important story. GTA, I think, is a bit of an anomaly because each entry, storywise, kind of exists in it's own bubble. But I still think their stories are, if not important, able to hold up a mirror to our society and show it back to us in that uncanny way Rockstar has. Which, to me, makes them important because it's important that we are able to step away from the midst of our culture and look at it from a distance, as it's probably pretty absurd no matter what time period you're in.

As far as Mario goes, he's the top of the pile. He doesn't need a new story. He's the word association with "video game."
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Dead Space 3, GoW: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V
#7arclouks_xPosted 4/9/2013 10:13:22 PM
doubt uncharted is done, the voice actors have been teasing theyre working together (cutters va and nolan north on twitter) also on a recent the last of us video.you can see nolan on the naughty dog building.
---
PSN:arclouksx/JustArc_ -Now playing: Persona 3 Portable,Persona 4 Golden,GOW Collection.
http://rebelallianceclan.com/signatures/RAarclouksx.png
#8Z_TousPosted 4/9/2013 11:09:00 PM
It all comes down to if the story has a logical conclusion or not. Series such as Final Fantasy, Call of Duty or Disgaea don't really need to end because each game has it's own self enclosed story. However a franchise such as Uncharted or God of War need to come end because at some point the characters and the situations they face will reach a limit.

Once you've seen a character take on a drug cartel and win massive gun fights against 50+ opponents the sequel where he now fights some gangsters in NY loses alot of value.

God of War is a great example because if God of War 4 comes out where do they go with it? Do they introduce super gods? Norse Gods ? All of these would make the story worthy of rolling your eyes at best. It might come out and people will buy it but the shark it jumped will always be present every time you see Kratos murder yet Another centaur even though you've already watched him murder mountain size gods.
---
~Ztous
#9Jon_GodPosted 4/9/2013 11:17:05 PM
When you are only making sequels to make money, and not because you are inspired, or have an idea to move the series forward.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#10Shadowbird_RHPosted 4/9/2013 11:29:09 PM
When the fans have gotten tired of it or alienated by terrible flaws in the latest release and the developers are out of good ideas (or talent) that could save it.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR