This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamers with epilepsy

#1stirlolPosted 4/9/2013 8:16:40 PM
Anyone here suffer from epilepsy or other seizure disorders?

Are you still able to play games with proper medication or are there certain titles or genres you just have to avoid completely?

Seems like every single game has the Warnjng message at the loading screen, think that it's just a blanket disclaimer forced by the legal department..
---
http://omf.gd/images/goonsay.gif
#2ZiggletoothPosted 4/9/2013 8:33:10 PM(edited)
stirlol posted...
Anyone here suffer from epilepsy or other seizure disorders?

Are you still able to play games with proper medication or are there certain titles or genres you just have to avoid completely?

Seems like every single game has the Warnjng message at the loading screen, think that it's just a blanket disclaimer forced by the legal department..

not personally.

It is my understanding epilepsy is a range of neurological disorders therefore the affects and severity are different for each person.

the point is any information you gather here will fall under the biased sample fallacy, and so you should not have made this thread.

also it appears you have come to a conclusion before gathering evidence, it looks like you are doing some confirmation bias based on some cynical belief you already have.

I would not jump to that conclusion, if I made a game I wouldn't want to harm anyone and include the warning for ethical reasons before health and safety reasons.

anyway you need to learn how to gather appropriate evidence, a topic as great and diverse as epilepsy requires much research not some fishing for information in some game related website.
---
He feared that his home should appear to Gods and men.
Dreadful, dank and hated even by the Gods. Hades -Iliad 20.64-65
#3stirlol(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 3:25:41 PM
I understand, yes there are many different forms or regions of the brain affected.

Best place for a query tho IS definitely a gaming based forum, as well as an epilepsy one no doubt.

Not sure where you get the idea I'm implying that developers would create triggering games on purpose!!

Maybe I asked the wrong way.

Ok to paraphrase. If you suffer from seizure risk, or even say migraine disorder.

Would types of games make a difference. Eg wipeout or a very fast paced FPS vs sim city or something equally "tranquil" in it's user interface

Think I just answered my own question

Will find an epilepsy or migraine forum, I suggest you chiillax in the meantime ;)
---
http://omf.gd/images/goonsay.gif
#4awesomesauce13Posted 4/10/2013 3:56:38 PM
My dad has epilepsy. He doesn't game much, although when he does he's fine whilst playing then becomes pretty seizure-prone afterwards. As long as he's taking his medication it's not too bad though
#5awesomesauce13Posted 4/10/2013 4:01:06 PM
Oh and also I don't think the type of game makes much difference (for him at least), although gaming does seem to have a bigger effect than TV so maybe it does a bit
#6silly_sausagePosted 4/10/2013 4:19:56 PM
My older brother has epilepsy, and is a semi-regular gamer. I've never known him to have had any issues with gaming in that regard.
---
John Lennon, 1940 - (Infinite Symbol)
PSN: naathaann
#7ninjakrakenPosted 4/10/2013 4:49:55 PM
The reason for the warning is that anyone is susceptible to a seizure given the right conditions. That's why they advise to take regular breaks and not play when tired as flashing lights can affect the brain. Group this with other risk factors eg low blood pressure and the chance could be increased. Of course not everyone with those risk factors will suffer a seizure, but that's why it's called a warning.

Just yesterday my sister was instructing a zumba class when one of the attendees had a seizure. She didn't have epilepsy but had a seizure long ago. She put it down to her pushing herself too much. After a brief rest, she rejoined the class :-/
---
PSN: lady_mystic
Mind your blasted manners! Uncivil, uncouth, uncultivated! - Lady Smith
#8ElBorak77Posted 4/10/2013 5:17:33 PM
ninjakraken posted...
The reason for the warning is that anyone is susceptible to a seizure given the right conditions. That's why they advise to take regular breaks and not play when tired as flashing lights can affect the brain. Group this with other risk factors eg low blood pressure and the chance could be increased. Of course not everyone with those risk factors will suffer a seizure, but that's why it's called a warning.

Just yesterday my sister was instructing a zumba class when one of the attendees had a seizure. She didn't have epilepsy but had a seizure long ago. She put it down to her pushing herself too much. After a brief rest, she rejoined the class :-/

this is correct.
---
PSN El_Borak_77
#9Trespasser2003Posted 4/11/2013 3:52:37 AM(edited)
I have epilepsy. It isn't triggered by light patterns, so gaming has never been an issue. My grand mal seizures are brought on by exhaustion/anxiety.

Edit: I would like to add that fast-moving games with 60fps make me really nauseous and I don't usually play them long, if at all, because I get fatigued and sometimes I worry I'll have a seizure. (Though this seems to apply to fps mainly; racers or third-person games that have a mostly stationary object I can focus on to "anchor" myself seem fine.)
---
Itchy itchy. scott came. ugly face so killed him. Tasty. 4// itchy. tasty.
#10DarkSymbiotePosted 4/11/2013 3:50:35 AM
I have epilepsy. It isn't triggered by light patterns, so gaming has never been an issue. My grand mal seizures are brought on by exhaustion/anxiety.

Play Contra: Hard Corps (the original).
---
You know, whenever a poster uses the terms "b**** and whine" or "piss and moan" or something similar, I simply ignore the entire post.