This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think 2D sprites (ala Megaman X6) are a thing of the past?

#1Vohn_ExelPosted 4/9/2013 10:57:04 PM
2D sprites were once the norm, and then became a rarity thanks to the power of 3D graphics. Even 2D gameplay stuck with the enhanced 3D look with models and stuff, but a few games held out for a while. One was the Megaman X series, which was never the same after X6. The graphics might've been just some 2D sprites but the art was incredibly detailed. You had backgrounds that moved and everything was pretty colorful and defined, and it looked great. Do you think they'll continue to make games with this sort of style, or are they finally dead?
---
Black FC: 0003 3193 6389/
I have nothing witty to put here
#2PsychoDrama1Posted 4/9/2013 11:06:24 PM
I hope they continue to use them. Probably not though, Capcom seems to like the awful SF4 non-detailed goofy graphics instead of hand drawn HD sprites. It's probably a lot cheaper to make something like MvC3 than something like KOF13.
---
Wolf Parade, Swan Lake, Built to Spill, Sunset Rubdown, The Hold Steady, Modest Mouse, Handsome Furs, Plants and Animals
#3Vohn_Exel(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 11:17:03 PM
PsychoDrama1 posted...
I hope they continue to use them. Probably not though, Capcom seems to like the awful SF4 non-detailed goofy graphics instead of hand drawn HD sprites. It's probably a lot cheaper to make something like MvC3 than something like KOF13.

Well I'd to see them used on more than just fighting games. I think there's no harm in having a 2D sprite game and I don't see people complaining if the game is good enough. There's a different feel in those type of graphics to normal 3D games when you play. Moves feel faster and responses are smoother, at least in my opinion.
---
#4spectermaster14Posted 4/9/2013 11:36:01 PM
Of course not, lots of great sprite based games still come out. Guacamelee just came out today and looks pretty fantastic.
#5Brocken_JrPosted 4/9/2013 11:36:58 PM
guacamelee isnt sprites though. KOFXIII is.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTK09bY_AYk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4phZ0_iDwM
#6kaiser ryuPosted 4/9/2013 11:37:42 PM
I feel the ideal would be that in games 2d and 3d have their places in the same manner drawing and sculpting have been side by side through the centuries.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#7Vohn_Exel(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 11:57:40 PM
I'd like to see a huge game from a major publisher use the sprites and stuff. With the power we have now I'm sure that we could have an amazing sprite game with all kinds of things going on in the background, foreground, and everywhere. But mostly they seem to be used for quick handheld titles or just silly concepts, instead of being something serious.
---
#8Jon_GodPosted 4/10/2013 12:13:24 AM
Having worked with sprites, It's basically:

"you'd better get it right the first time"

If you need to go back and change something on a character, it can mean redoing 300+ sprites, depending on how smooth the animation is, and how much is going on.

However, things like Rayman Origins, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Monkey Island 2: Special Edition, Machinarium, Return to Dark Castle, PixelJunk series, Scott Pilgrim and Skullgirls... All show that Sprites can sometimes really just make the experiance.

Therein lies the rub. If you pull it off, you can really make your game stand out, but if you don't, it can look bland/bad.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#9Z_TousPosted 4/10/2013 12:24:00 AM
It's a style and it's actually a really visually pleasing style at that. Animated cartoons aren't going anywhere anytime soon and neither is 2D sprites.
---
~Ztous
#10Terry-bogardPosted 4/10/2013 1:09:06 AM
Good 2d graphics also age much better than good 3D graphics.
In 5 years , kof XIII will still be considered visually stunning , you can't say the same about a 3D game.
---
Videogame cancer : Perpetual easy mode (AKA USA syndrome), word "main" in fighting games.