This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did anyone else not enjoy Resonance of Fate?

#21heartlesshero17Posted 4/10/2013 8:34:25 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
I have mixed feelings on it mostly good though. It def could have used a better plot and faster pacing and bigger world to explore via third person (not side view like they did it).
But certainly I appreciated their unique play on use of guns in an RPG instead of just being lazy like Mass Effect and just making it a lackluster 3rd person shooter with sloppy cover system and useless A.I.

The cast is great though especially Vashyron.
One note Nolan's best performance imo.
Usually people say stuff like 'dohz the Japanese voices are better derp derp, which in the past a lot of times that was true, but not in this case".

I've come to really like Nolan after playing more games he was in. He is pretty damn good over all. I had no clue he was The penguin and Black mask in Arkham City. That is some crazy good range. Would have never guessed
---
I'll eat a sock if VersusXIII is actually a mind blowing game.
-PainsPerception
#22echa_OnePosted 4/10/2013 10:01:46 PM
I enjoyed the game and its fair share of raisins and magnum.
---
There is a board for RPG, you know:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/220-rpgs-everything-else
#23JRPGPosted 4/10/2013 11:51:26 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
As a huge tri-Ace fan, I was extremely hyped for Resonance of Fate.

Got it Day 1.

More than 3 years later, I'm still not done with this game. I'm on Chapter 10 out of 16. The plot has pretty much still gone nowhere and there have only been a few interesting cutscenes. A vast majority of the time spent in this game consists of completing menial tasks and listening to conversations filled with juvenile humor.

The battle system was interesting at first, but it got repetitive quickly. And the battle system itself has many flaws as well. Tri-Attacks are incredibly convoluted and incredibly hard to pull off. The 3rd party member is essentially useless, and serves as nothing more than a meat shield. Targeting during Hero Mode is very terrible and insanely unintuitive. The defense/shield system is terribly flawed and cumbersome, as it essentially requires you to damage the enemy's body all-around instead of having a regular gauge or whatnot, and this can be extremely tedious-- and at times, even when you use a Hero Action and attack an enemy from the top so your attacks aren't wasted on defense, it still only attacks its shield. The defense system is far too vague and too poorly constructed and it makes for a frustrating experience.

Along with this, the battles stay the same the entire game, and the game is insanely grind-heavy. The level-up mechanic encourages you to switch between weapons, which does nothing more than slow down the process. You also always have to worry about the 3rd party member being underleveled, because they're practically useless in battle (unless you get an extra Machine Gun from Dakota Vein mid-way through the game, and even then, the 3rd party member isn't that useful). It's just all grinding, grinding, grinding.

Both the arena and the quests are dull and tedious, and are just more ways to grind.

The dungeons are the worst part-- they all have a generic design and they're color-coded so that you can tell the difference between the rooms, and they're nothing more than chains of insanely long fights put together. Most dungeons have no saves, and no opportunities to even open up your damn menu in case you want to change something. You either do the entire dungeon at once, or you don't progress at all.

I don't know. I had high hopes for this game, but I honestly hate it.

Does anyone else just not like this game?

I loved their other games especially Valkyrie profile 2. Unfortunately I never finished RoF either. Just got tedious and long. Was fun but never bothered. not to mention I was on chapter 11 and my save on the Xbox is wiped :/. Doubt ill EVER play again now :(
---
PSN: Joerpg84
3DS: 2621-2720-6163
#24TheCyborgNinjaPosted 4/11/2013 12:02:13 AM
I liked the cutscenes a lot. They were really awesome. Everything else... Not so much. I found the lack of a "back" button combined with a weird control set-up to be very frustrating.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#25Brocken_JrPosted 4/11/2013 12:02:49 AM
A vast majority of the time spent in this game consists of completing menial tasks

all but 1 of the things in mission memo are side missions

Tri-Attacks are incredibly convoluted and incredibly hard to pull off.
hard to pull off? their really easy, just move with square between party members, then hit triangle.

The 3rd party member is essentially useless, and serves as nothing more than a meat shield.

but theres 3 things to equip and people cant equip both of these:greandes, health, and special ammo.

The defense/shield system is terribly flawed and cumbersome, as it essentially requires you to damage the enemy's body all-around instead of having a regular gauge or whatnot, and this can be extremely tedious-- and at times, even when you use a Hero Action and attack an enemy from the top so your attacks aren't wasted on defense, it still only attacks its shield. The defense system is far too vague and too poorly constructed and it makes for a frustrating experience.

you break their defense then hit them. to get it gone faster, use machine gun and the running with square thing, then do the same with a handgun user, jump and shoot right away when you can. or just attack where the enemy doesnt have a shield.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTK09bY_AYk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4phZ0_iDwM
#26webbc99Posted 4/11/2013 1:52:56 AM
I didn't enjoy it. The battle system was really awkwardly executed imo, and the story wasn't strong enough for me to persevere, and I didn't really like the characters.
---
PSN: Toastie88 | XBL: Mor7al S7rike | Steam: webbc99
Playing: Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IX, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Dark Souls
#27PurelyDivinePosted 4/11/2013 1:57:50 AM
I loved how there wasn't really a story. When there's a story, I usually plow through the game because I wanna know more about the story, causing me to skip everything else. In this game, I just did played at a slow pace. I loved the humor and character interactions. The battle system was unique, but just wasn't my thing. That was the only reason I put it down.
---
I love Deidara. She's so hot - photobucket.com/albums/m560/theblaz1/DEIDARA.jpg
I love Cloud. She's so hot - photobucket.com/albums/m560/theblaz1/CLOUD.jpg
#28AnthonM2Posted 4/11/2013 2:13:56 AM
I made a poll before and many like the game.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64596290
#29mooooo99Posted 4/11/2013 3:02:14 AM
I really enjoyed resonance of fate. it took me a while to get into the game but once i sat down and learned the battle system it felt quite rewarding. it also had an excellent soundtrack which really pulled you in to appreciate the atmosphere of the game. the boss fights were very enjoyable and even though sitting through the 100 fights or whatever in the arena, it didnt feel like a grind to me. also the customization!
then there was bonus dungeon, neverland, that was a fun challenge. overall i loved this game and its still one of my favorites.
#30vind3dPosted 4/11/2013 3:20:40 AM
It certainly needed a better title. What does it mean Resonance? The Japanese title was not much better, "End of Eternity"? The story was bare-boned, and arguably unfinished.

But...

I really liked the characters. The battle system was intricate and took practice to understand. And the music was pretty cool. I hope they make a sequel.

Played it 3 times. Only game I have got my Platinum from.
---
My favorite app is still the Mute button on my TV's remote.