This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

demon's souls and dark souls, need opinion.

#1BeardedXBatmanPosted 4/11/2013 1:43:43 AM
just got both of these recently and played each for several hours. to me, it's a wash between the two of them because i don't really prefer one over the other at this point. i love the gameplay and the difficulty of both games. they remind me of the games i grew up on, where success is determined by skill and precision. right now i'm trying to (finally) finish final fantasy xiii. i just got to pulse in chapter 11. as soon as i finish this game, i want another game to dig deep into. i was thinking either one of the souls games or lost odyssey (which i've also never finished). so i'm looking for opinions on what to do after i finish XIII. should i stick with JRPGs and play lost odyessy? or should i get into one of the 'souls' games? but more importantly, WHICH 'souls' game? since i own both, i know i'll play and beat both eventually but i'm just curious what you all think i should start with.

TL;DR - i own both, so which would you recommend i play first. Demon's or Dark. ....or lost odyssey, lol
---
XB Gamertag - BeardedXBatman
PSN ID - BeardedXBatman
#2Still__RippinPosted 4/11/2013 1:51:09 AM
Dark is my personal favorite.
---
- He doesn't row?
- No, he DOESN'T row.
#3GigerSupremePosted 4/11/2013 1:51:18 AM
do demon souls first.

lost oddessy will make for a decent break.

and follow it all up with dark souls as the finale.
#4BeardedXBatman(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 2:34:17 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
do demon souls first.

how is lost odyssey, btw? i've always loved jrpgs, but they've kind of fallen out of favor in the last 10 years or so. it's been a long time since i had a fresh traditional jrpg to play. let m know what you think of the story, characters, gameplay and so on.

and thanks for your first post, too. that sounds like a good order to play in. does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of character i should start with? i dont want to invest in magic and then come to find out its garbage in the latter half of the game, ya know?
---
XB Gamertag - BeardedXBatman
PSN ID - BeardedXBatman
#5kupo1705Posted 4/11/2013 2:38:04 AM
Play Demon's first.
Dark Souls has some features Demon's doesn't have, so it might annoy you if you play Dark first.
#6rswsc0407Posted 4/11/2013 3:25:07 AM
For your Demon's Souls question, just go to the board for it and check out the two beginner guides there, it'll help a ton. The one that isn't talking about different items/weapons, is the better one to read so you don't get confused.
---
Red Sox World Series Champions 2004 & 2007= My ID. PSN ID- rswsc0407
#7GigerSupremePosted 4/11/2013 7:30:19 AM
BeardedXBatman posted...
GigerSupreme posted...
do demon souls first.

how is lost odyssey, btw? i've always loved jrpgs, but they've kind of fallen out of favor in the last 10 years or so. it's been a long time since i had a fresh traditional jrpg to play. let m know what you think of the story, characters, gameplay and so on.

and thanks for your first post, too. that sounds like a good order to play in. does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of character i should start with? i dont want to invest in magic and then come to find out its garbage in the latter half of the game, ya know?

lost oddessy is just alright. i personally thinkits way overrated. i find the combat system to be too simple and the game dosent offer a whole lot of options during combat.

i dosent go to the heights of FF10 but the story is alot more coherent and better written. it does alot of things right but it never elevates itself above the rest. definitley worth a play.
#8deathsaber79Posted 4/11/2013 8:14:01 AM
I started with Dark Souls- then later played Demon, and found I preferred it.

Demon is hard and unforgiving, but fair- Dark Souls basically outright trolls you at times. Some will disagree with me, but for me theres a fine line between challenge and just basically killing you over and over until you execute something perfectly after you've watched the youtube clip (and even then you die a few times in the attempt to get it right).
#9no2morroPosted 4/11/2013 8:28:28 AM
Played and finished all. I agree with the other guys.

Trying not to give spoilers...but might be minor spoilers (vague references to place names NO DETAILS)

Demon's Souls -> Lost Odyssey (decent game - the character stories will make you cry - you'll know when you get there) -> Dark Souls

Playing through Dark Souls now - Damn that game isn't user friendly. I beat it last year, and I am coming back (after having bought the artorias armor)...I'm getting maimed by 4 kings and artorius - in comparison Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo were a breeze).
---
Peasant: What line of business might you be in?
Hopkins: God's Business: witch-finding!-Do you confess?
#10GigerSupremePosted 4/11/2013 11:13:39 AM
no2morro posted...
Played and finished all. I agree with the other guys.

Trying not to give spoilers...but might be minor spoilers (vague references to place names NO DETAILS)

Demon's Souls -> Lost Odyssey (decent game - the character stories will make you cry - you'll know when you get there) -> Dark Souls

Playing through Dark Souls now - Damn that game isn't user friendly. I beat it last year, and I am coming back (after having bought the artorias armor)...I'm getting maimed by 4 kings and artorius - in comparison Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo were a breeze).

just wait till you get to the effing bed of effing chaos.