This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gonna finally buy a PS3, yes/no on these games?

#1Robert_Griffin3Posted 4/11/2013 5:26:30 AM(edited)
I like pretty much anything, oldschool RPG's, fighting games, FPS, sports, sidescrolling, action. I know what games are considered classics. I want to pick up some of the older games for cheap. Basically looking for quantity and quality. Here are the ones I'll most definitely buy :

Fallout 3
Skyrim
Batman : Arkham Asylum
Demon's Souls (wanna start with the first one)
Uncharted : Drake's Fortune
Assassin's Creed (first)
Mass Effect (first)
Bioshock (first)
Demon's Souls

I've played both ME and Bioshock so I know I'll like those. But here are some other games I'm not sure about. Looking for opinions :

Rayman Origins (want to have a solid platformer)
inFamous (don't know anything about it)
Prototype 1/2 (same as inFamous)
LittleBigPlanet (should I start with the first or just skip to the second?)
Dead Island
Civilization Revolution (yes/no? How good/bad is it on a console?)
Red Dead Redemption (is this the first of the series?)
Crysis (is it worth it for single player? Or just skip to the newest for multiplayer?)
Call of Juarez : Bound in Blood (really cheap, any good?)
Heavy Rain
Resident Evil 5 (haven't played RE since RE 2)
Gran Turismo 5 (not a huge racing fan but wanna have one in the library)
Mortal Kombat Komplete
Star Wars : Force Unleashed
Resistance 2
Duke Nukem Forever (this can't be good can it?)
Borderlands or Borderlands 2 (is there still a community on the first?)
Saints Row
X-Men Destiny
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Deus Ex : Human Revolutions

yeah, its a big list. I just looked at some relatively cheap games that interest me. Also look to be buying the new NBA2K13 and will get Madden when it comes out since I've waited the appropriate 4 or 5 years since buying the previous.

Also would love any other recommendations for games 10 and under that are worth playing.
#2piamariePosted 4/11/2013 5:38:20 AM
Some RPG recommendations:
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni No Kuni
Dragon's Dogma
Tales of Graces f
Final Fantasy XIII :)

Look into the Metal Gear series also.
Ultimate MvC3 is fine as long as you have friends who are into fighting games. If you only plan to play against the computer, avoid, IMO.
#3Caer_DeathPosted 4/11/2013 5:41:12 AM
You have Demon's Souls listed twice, probably meant Dark Souls the second time.

Little Big Planet - Go for the second one. I think it might still be included on PS+ if you're interested in that. I believe all of the levels shared online for the first one are available in the second one, so it's basically a bigger, better version of the first. That said, they're still pretty close to identical.

Heavy Rain - The less you know, the more you'll like it, from my experience. I knew nothing when I first played it, liked it more than most people did, and resold it for almost as much as I paid. Little more of an interactive movie than a game, low replay value but still worth seeing the "next big thing" in video game story telling.
---
The circle of life was founded by the god of America. Love it or leave it!
#4Ghetto_ninjaPosted 4/11/2013 5:49:20 AM
Get the Resistance trilogy pack it's cheap and you'll want to start with one. Crysis is awesome for single player so get that for sure. if you aren't huge into racers got with burnout, NFS, or midnight club instead. Call of Juarez is garbage. Duke Nukem and X-men Destiny despite their critical reception I liked a lot. Infamous and Prototype are similar and both fun. The first infamous is a must play more polished than proton and the storyline is top notch. Dead Island and Deus Ex are so awesome get those for sure. Rayman is an excellent platformer can't go wrong there. I believe LBP2 has all the original content do yes skip one. Heavy Rain is awesome if you're looking for an interactive story type game. RE5 I'd skip if you haven't played since 2. Operation Raccoon City is a spin off and a lot of fun if you want an RE game and has a most of it's characters and settings from 2. I'd just get borderlands 2 at this point. As for the others no opinion. I'd recommend Killzone , God of war, Uncharted, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.
---
PSN ID: Psychonik
JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON!!!
#5ISquat600lbsPosted 4/11/2013 5:55:41 AM
Rayman Origins (want to have a solid platformer) don't know
inFamous (don't know anything about it) awful
Prototype 1/2 (same as inFamous) don't know
LittleBigPlanet (should I start with the first or just skip to the second?) good if you're 13 or below
Dead Island awful
Civilization Revolution (yes/no? How good/bad is it on a console?) don't know
Red Dead Redemption (is this the first of the series?) good
Crysis (is it worth it for single player? Or just skip to the newest for multiplayer?) good
Call of Juarez : Bound in Blood (really cheap, any good?) bad
Heavy Rain bad
Resident Evil 5 (haven't played RE since RE 2) bad
Gran Turismo 5 (not a huge racing fan but wanna have one in the library) bad
Mortal Kombat Komplete bad
Star Wars : Force Unleashed good
Resistance 2 don't know
Duke Nukem Forever (this can't be good can it?) bad
Borderlands or Borderlands 2 (is there still a community on the first?) good
Saints Row don't know
X-Men Destiny don't know
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 good
Deus Ex : Human Revolutions good
#6SoaringDivePosted 4/11/2013 6:05:13 AM(edited)
Rahman Origins is the best non-Nintendo platforner this generation. It's a must-have. Littlebigplanet is great also, but skip the first one (unresponsive and bad physics), the second one is amazing. Anyone that says it's for kids really doesn't get how deep the level creator can get (far too complicated than for a 10 year old to fully utilize).
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#7bigtiggie23Posted 4/11/2013 6:15:46 AM(edited)
If you enjoyed the PS2 GTA games then Saint's Row 2 and 3 should appeal to you. Even if you didn't play or like GTA SR is still a fun, zany series. Plus both are cheap.

Also Mortal Kombat isn't bad. If you were a fan of the first 3 MK games this is an updated version with a full story mode and hundreds of challenges. Not much going on online anymore but if you want single player it can keep you busy.
---
Sierra. Hotel. India. Echo. Lima. Delta.
#8Willie_MakeitPosted 4/11/2013 6:09:04 AM
Robert_Griffin3 posted...
I like pretty much anything, oldschool RPG's, fighting games, FPS, sports, sidescrolling, action. I know what games are considered classics. I want to pick up some of the older games for cheap. Basically looking for quantity and quality. Here are the ones I'll most definitely buy :

Fallout 3
Skyrim
Batman : Arkham Asylum
Demon's Souls (wanna start with the first one)
Uncharted : Drake's Fortune
Assassin's Creed (first)
Mass Effect (first)
Bioshock (first)
Demon's Souls

I've played both ME and Bioshock so I know I'll like those. But here are some other games I'm not sure about. Looking for opinions :

Rayman Origins (want to have a solid platformer)
inFamous (don't know anything about it)
Prototype 1/2 (same as inFamous)
LittleBigPlanet (should I start with the first or just skip to the second?)
Dead Island
Civilization Revolution (yes/no? How good/bad is it on a console?)
Red Dead Redemption (is this the first of the series?)
Crysis (is it worth it for single player? Or just skip to the newest for multiplayer?)
Call of Juarez : Bound in Blood (really cheap, any good?)
Heavy Rain
Resident Evil 5 (haven't played RE since RE 2)
Gran Turismo 5 (not a huge racing fan but wanna have one in the library)
Mortal Kombat Komplete
Star Wars : Force Unleashed
Resistance 2
Duke Nukem Forever (this can't be good can it?)
Borderlands or Borderlands 2 (is there still a community on the first?)
Saints Row
X-Men Destiny
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Deus Ex : Human Revolutions

yeah, its a big list. I just looked at some relatively cheap games that interest me. Also look to be buying the new NBA2K13 and will get Madden when it comes out since I've waited the appropriate 4 or 5 years since buying the previous.

Also would love any other recommendations for games 10 and under that are worth playing.

A bit of advice, stay away from these games,

Ass Creed 1(boring and repetitive)
Prototype 1 and 2 (you're better off just playing Infamous)
Resident Evil 5 (you'll thank me later)
Fallout 3 (it's a boring, unplayable, glitchy mess.)
---
Sig.
#9kcheung5440Posted 4/11/2013 6:10:52 AM
Red Dead and Deus Ex are two of the best games this gen- get them for sure. Also, get Metal Gear 4 and GTA 4. Get complete editions of Red Dead, Deus Ex, and GTA- the DLC is all great.

Bioshock is packaged with Bioshock Infinite, so you might think about just getting that. I actually liked Bioshock 2 a lot more that the original, but I'm in the minority there.

You can get the Mass Effect Trilogy for $30-$40. I'd do that rather than download the original. They're all really good, as are the Dragon Age titles (same companies).

Heavy Rain is a very good game as well.
---
The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...
#10smifypzPosted 4/11/2013 6:13:16 AM
Rayman Origins (want to have a solid platformer)- really good
inFamous (don't know anything about it)- love this game, though it can get slightly repetitive
Prototype 1/2 (same as inFamous)- I've heard 1 is a lot better than 2
LittleBigPlanet (should I start with the first or just skip to the second?)- not that great IMO
Dead Island- don't know
Civilization Revolution (yes/no? How good/bad is it on a console?)- don't know
Red Dead Redemption (is this the first of the series?)- not a series, but heard it's fun
Crysis (is it worth it for single player? Or just skip to the newest for multiplayer?)- don't know
Call of Juarez : Bound in Blood (really cheap, any good?)- don't know
Heavy Rain- don't know
Resident Evil 5 (haven't played RE since RE 2)- fun, but most people will probably say to play 4 (it's on PSN I believe)
Gran Turismo 5 (not a huge racing fan but wanna have one in the library)- never really liked racing games
Mortal Kombat Komplete- fun
Star Wars : Force Unleashed- okay
Resistance 2- don't know
Duke Nukem Forever (this can't be good can it?)- I say skip this
Borderlands or Borderlands 2 (is there still a community on the first?)- if you like games with lots of loot and FPS, you should be fine
Saints Row- really fun, though I've only played the third one. I've heard it's really different from the first 2
X-Men Destiny- don't know
Marvel vs. Capcom 3- go for Ultimate if you want to buy this
Deus Ex : Human Revolutions- fun

Also, skip the first Assassin's Creed and go to the second- the first one bored me to tears
---
3DS FC: 2105- 9580- 9704 PSN: tennislover3195 Steam:nj3195
Official Feraligatr of the Pokemon X board