This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do many western games come down to hypermasculinity and male insecurity?

#1Bayonetta_Posted 4/11/2013 7:19:50 AM
Tall musclebound men in black with tattoos wearing macho skull like masks firing off guns.
http://i47.tinypic.com/1673x1e.jpg
#2theshovellerPosted 4/11/2013 7:21:18 AM
Yeah, totally. I loved playing as that musclebound tattooed guy in Mirror's Edge, and he was doubly amazing in Beyond Good & Evil.

It's as accurate as saying "the stereotypical JRPG hero is a female who looks like a cute kid." AKA it's an archetype that's being a bit overused right now.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#3Sum_quod_erisPosted 4/11/2013 7:24:29 AM
Out of all the games that illustrate your suggestion to a T, you chose that one? How unfortunate.

Anyway, yeah, the media market is dominated by stereotypes. It's nothing new. The only difference is that video games can get away with it more blatantly than other mediums due to their consumer crowd being younger.

My point is that gamers like it, so companies keep making games like that. Guys are tough and extra macho, while girls dress like sluts and are there to be eye candy.

Keep in mind, I'm referring to the types of games you mentioned and not the industry as a whole.
---
P.S. - I use proper grammar online. (Yes, I'm fully aware of my insanity.)
#4ShineboxerPosted 4/11/2013 7:30:36 AM
Because I'm a tall, musclebound, man, who just happens to like skull masks and guns(I own 5).
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#5gogogosuperPosted 4/11/2013 7:34:14 AM
This is America, son. If you don't like it, move to a country that is not America.
---
THIS IS MERICA, AND I AM AN AMERICAN. RESPECT AMERICA AND YOU WILL BE ALL RIGHT.
#6darkphoenix181Posted 4/11/2013 7:38:23 AM(edited)
I think it makes more sense in games than the effiminate males in some japanese games.
It is more believable that the over muscled guy is gonna be a one man army or kill that giant snake beast smashing the city.

In short, western games try for realism and eastern games try more for stylistic effect.

---
proud owner of Pikanips
#7ShineboxerPosted 4/11/2013 7:42:02 AM
I think it makes more sense in games than the effiminate males in some japanese games.
It is more believable that the over muscled guy is gonna be a one man army or kill that giant snake beast smashing the city.

In short, western games try for realism and eastern games try more for stylistic effect.

This, and those guys in TC's picture aren't even that impossibly muscular.

Gears of war/God of war, sure, that's hard to do.

Any skinny dyel is 2 years at most from the example TC used.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#8Ace_DefectivePosted 4/11/2013 7:43:12 AM
One of the most original boxarts I've seen in a while.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tAjKHgxrJQ <3
Forever hoping for a sequel. Please make it happen, tri-Ace.
#9kirusuPosted 4/11/2013 7:44:58 AM
did you ask that question with some japanese games having too many young , big boobed women, loli, or whatever protags? fist of the north star and dbz had those hypermasculinty males. though fist of the north star was garbage after a few episodes.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3aacvZJeK1qb1m9to1_500.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu2O4_pacok
#10Bayonetta_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 7:51:31 AM
darkphoenix181 posted...

Musclebound guy would be killed within 5 seconds of fighting a snake beast. A effeminate anime dude would use strategy and magic with his team for the safest way to take down the beast.

The west fails in realism because in real life 99% of the time you'll die if you did what those hypermacho guys do. So most western games are just macho wetdreams for insecure men.