This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark Souls and the pause

#1jubjub360Posted 4/11/2013 9:47:19 AM
Real quick: I have a New Game+ character online only, specifically for the intent of playing online.

Now about the game: I understand the lack of an actual pause feature helps with creating the sense of more difficulty. Chances of invasions, getting killed, all while looking at the menu. Because of this, some people are turned away from the game. So I present a solution:
1. Integrate a pause button under certain stipulations
A. Can only pause the game on offline mode
B. Can only pause the game on the first playthrough.

What that means is this: After your first playthrough, offline, the pause feature disappears and you are presented with the challenge of not being able to pause. This is only for offline mode and one playthrough, the first.

What do you think?:

Inb4noob
Inb4can'tplay
Inb4quitcasualizingit
#2darkphoenix181Posted 4/11/2013 9:49:25 AM
your character should auto die if it remains still for more than 45 seconds
---
proud owner of Pikanips
#3jubjub360(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 9:51:28 AM
darkphoenix181 posted...
your character should auto die if it remains still for more than 45 seconds

No joke, that would be pretty cool and annoying.
#4jubjub360(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 10:01:02 AM
Bump?
#5theshovellerPosted 4/11/2013 10:08:49 AM(edited)
Any attempt to pause the game should have a ginormous dragon come by, eat your person, then you're forced to watch as you pass through its digestive tract and pass through the other end, your feces-converted corpse wrapped in the plate mail you thought would save your life like a 3 Musketeers bar, falling to land on the head of a random player in whatever level you died in before exploding and taking the other player out with you.

Unlocks the achievement "Bird Dropped." Then Mega Man comes by and does the pudding stir on your corpses.

Edit: On a serious note, I'd think pausing in offline mode should be allowed. I mean, you're "offline" anyway. Does it matter at that point?

---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#6darkphoenix181Posted 4/11/2013 10:08:42 AM
theshoveller posted...
Any attempt to pause the game should have a ginormous dragon come by, eat your person, then you're forced to watch as you pass through its digestive tract and pass through the other end, your feces-converted corpse wrapped in the plate mail you thought would save your life like a 3 Musketeers bar, falling to land on the head of a random player in whatever level you died in before exploding and taking the other player out with you.

Unlocks the achievement "Bird Dropped." Then Mega Man comes by and does the pudding stir on your corpses.

would be awesome for trolling purposes. Come on I mean you kill other players simply by pressing a button.
---
proud owner of Pikanips
#7jubjub360(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 10:09:23 AM
darkphoenix181 posted...
theshoveller posted...

would be awesome for trolling purposes. Come on I mean you kill other players simply by pressing a button.

This topic so isn't how I wanted it to turn out but I'll admit it's pretty damn awesome.
#8pumpkinpizzaPosted 4/11/2013 10:18:18 AM
No. It's fine the way it is. If you need a break, quit and reload. It takes all of ten seconds. Or just stand where there are no enemies around.
#9SoaringDivePosted 4/11/2013 10:24:03 AM(edited)
The character can pause the world and himself in place. However, doing so takes 1/100th of his health every 3 seconds.

Would work. At full health pre-pause, you get 5 minutes to do whatever you need to do before you die.

EDIT: The reason for no pause isn't JUST an online reason. The lack of pause adds tension because, unlike other games, the world still looms even when you're in your menus or you've gone to the washroom. Of course, we're still in an age where gamers think the only emotional expression of a game is through long cutscenes and dialogue and can't be found in mechanics.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#10jubjub360(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 10:22:16 AM
pumpkinpizza posted...
No. It's fine the way it is. If you need a break, quit and reload. It takes all of ten seconds. Or just stand where there are no enemies around.

So what's wrong with the way I presented?