This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark Souls and the pause

#41DignatoReRaisedPosted 4/11/2013 11:03:09 AM
Start left X up X left X.

Boom, you just paused. When you resume the game you will load at the same exact location you quit on.
---
DON'T F*** WITH THE SENATOR!
NANOMACHINES, SON!
#42velvet_hammerPosted 4/11/2013 11:04:05 AM(edited)
Always knew Jubwub was a casual, top that off with troll and all you got is

barf........
---
"My style is welfare, half of you b****** is on it!!
Was born with a halo, when broke, I had to pawn it" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVPXpGohII
#43superbowl54Posted 4/11/2013 11:05:16 AM
velvet_hammer posted...

barf........

you calling someone else a troll is hilariously ironic
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, ZOE HD, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC
#44jubjub360(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 11:05:27 AM
DignatoReRaised posted...

Boom, you just paused. When you resume the game you will load at the same exact location you quit on.

So quit the game, have to press load game, find your character, press yes, and wait for it to load. Yeah seems like a viable option.
#45theshovellerPosted 4/11/2013 11:05:40 AM
SoaringDive posted...
theshoveller posted...
SoaringDive posted...
Bad design that makes exclusive (important) content only available by playing the game again?

If it was important, it'd be in all playthroughs, as that person said (which was why I brought it up.)

That's exactly why I said it was bad design. It's basically just an arbitrary "play the game again" that only functions to increase the time spent on that game before moving on and giving money to something else, by making seemingly important content only available by replaying the game rather than because you felt the game was fun and wanted to play on a higher difficulty.

If the pause function should be removed from the second playthrough, why should it be in the first one at all? If having it there diminishes the core value of the game to the point of removing it in NG+, it would be just as diminishing in NG.

Oh, okay. Anyway, I've been a proponent of having pause in all offline playthroughs, and not ever removing it except in the case of online play. If you're offline, you're offline. If you go to throw up, or pee, or let a dog out to use the bathroom, or just spilled your soda, why should you be at risk of being incinerated by a dragon?

I mean, I'm not proposing a "Captain N" style pause, where the world stops and you can rig things in your favor. Man, for being "The Game Master," he sure as hell had to cheat a lot in that cartoon...
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#46velvet_hammerPosted 4/11/2013 11:08:00 AM(edited)
superbowl54 posted...
velvet_hammer posted...

barf........

prove it then, I'll even tag this and come back once you have your false evidence..

Heres a heads up, your wasting your time and only doing self harm searching

good luck
---
Was born with a halo, when broke, I had to pawn it" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVPXpGohII
#47Res5Posted 4/11/2013 11:07:54 AM
DignatoReRaised posted...

You know what the difference between this and a pause button is? About 30 seconds. Nothing more. That's why I say pause would not hurt the people who would use it, because the extension of time is a workaround rather than a solution.
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com
#48jubjub360(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 11:08:31 AM
superbowl54 posted...
velvet_hammer posted...

barf........

Unlike velvet, I can actually present an argument and present an option. He just presents his opinions as fact and, in fact, proves that definition I posted as accurate.
#49velvet_hammerPosted 4/11/2013 11:12:08 AM(edited)
jubjub360 posted...
superbowl54 posted...
velvet_hammer posted...

barf........

Unlike velvet, I can actually present an argument and present an option. He just presents his opinions as fact and, in fact, proves that definition I posted as accurate.

I give facts and opinions you just confuse the too. Not my problem your feeble mind cant decipher the difference
---
#50SoaringDivePosted 4/11/2013 11:13:45 AM
theshoveller posted...
SoaringDive posted...
theshoveller posted...
SoaringDive posted...
Bad design that makes exclusive (important) content only available by playing the game again?

If it was important, it'd be in all playthroughs, as that person said (which was why I brought it up.)

That's exactly why I said it was bad design. It's basically just an arbitrary "play the game again" that only functions to increase the time spent on that game before moving on and giving money to something else, by making seemingly important content only available by replaying the game rather than because you felt the game was fun and wanted to play on a higher difficulty.

If the pause function should be removed from the second playthrough, why should it be in the first one at all? If having it there diminishes the core value of the game to the point of removing it in NG+, it would be just as diminishing in NG.

Oh, okay. Anyway, I've been a proponent of having pause in all offline playthroughs, and not ever removing it except in the case of online play. If you're offline, you're offline. If you go to throw up, or pee, or let a dog out to use the bathroom, or just spilled your soda, why should you be at risk of being incinerated by a dragon?

I mean, I'm not proposing a "Captain N" style pause, where the world stops and you can rig things in your favor. Man, for being "The Game Master," he sure as hell had to cheat a lot in that cartoon...

This is where it becomes a bit wonky. I think it ultimately comes down to your view of the combat, and what it entails. The Souls games comes down to more decision-based combat, with every action you take having serious consequences (using estus leaves you open, using your heavy attack leaves you open, etc.).

The reason they don't have a pause, is because of the tension that comes from having to make these decisions in real-time. Adding the ability to pause, I feel, removes that tension because you can get as much time as you want to decide what move to make. It's like why reaction-based games like God of War or Guitar Hero cover up the screen when you pause, Souls doesn't allow you to pause because doing so gives you all the time in the world to think (due to the slow paced combat, you don't have to see everything on screen to do that). Which in the end, undermines their goal of creating very tense situations through the mechanics.

Of course, then there's the debate of legit reasons (phone rings) VS. abuse to make the game easier.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive