This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EA CCO: Video Games Need More Mass Market Appeal

#1Paragon-57Posted 4/11/2013 4:16:47 PM
Speaking with GI International, [Electronic Arts CCO] Hilleman said from his perspective “television is the mass market and we’re the fringe”

“We have to make sure that game companies know what a mass market really is. We’re not one yet,” Hilleman said. “The closest thing we’ve had to a mass market, frankly, has been the social and mobile spaces. From my perspective, television is the mass market and we’re the fringe.

“The challenge in front of us is, does the customer think about it that way? Do they see us as so distinct we can’t merge those two experiences?”

“Console players buy what they buy, based on the expectations of having a crème de la crème experience,” he said. “The truth is that, for all that Apple has done, an iPad today is between one-tenth and one-twentieth of the performance potential of the current shipping generation of consoles. And that’s just always going to matter.

“When Apple got into the music business it caught that industry at its absolute lowest ebb, and did very well with their deal-making as a result. Television and movies are not in the same place: they are not as desperate, they don’t have the same short-term needs, so Apple will be less able to dictate the terms as they did before. The other thing is that Samsung, the leading provider of LCD panels in the world, has a billion reasons not to help.

“Apple is going to do what it wants to do, and if they make a great product we’ll be happy to support it… If they do anything at all. I actually believe that nobody knows if Apple TV will happen, including Tim Cook. There are deals that need to be made to make that possible that haven’t been made yet.”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/11/video-games-need-more-mass-market-appeal-says-ea-coo/

Original source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-10-ea-gaming-isnt-mass-market-yet
---
P a r a g o n - 5 7 was here!
Happy Gaming!
#2SigmaHacielPosted 4/11/2013 4:17:46 PM
Video Games need to be GOOD to have appeal.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#3DelsinRowePosted 4/11/2013 4:19:23 PM
They are trying to appeal to the wrong people. No wonder, these idiots are hated.
---
You are not in control.
#4Still__RippinPosted 4/11/2013 4:19:55 PM
What does this have to do with the PS3 board exactly?
---
- He doesn't row?
- No, he DOESN'T row.
#5BeknessPosted 4/11/2013 4:25:06 PM
“We have to make sure that game companies know what a mass market really is. We’re not one yet,” Hilleman said. “The closest thing we’ve had to a mass market, frankly, has been the social and mobile spaces. From my perspective, television is the mass market and we’re the fringe.

If that's the mass market, then f*** the mass market.
---
BB<3BB 18.9.2011
No you bad
#6SigmaHacielPosted 4/11/2013 4:26:17 PM
Still less insulting than Ubi basically saying "AAA budget or bust".
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#7DelsinRowePosted 4/11/2013 4:29:48 PM
Still__Rippin posted...

It has implications on the PS3. EA makes games for the PS3, and this article is about games.
---
You are not in control.
#8Still__RippinPosted 4/11/2013 4:30:39 PM
DelsinRowe posted...
Still__Rippin posted...

It has implications on the PS3. EA makes games for the PS3, and this article is about games.

No, actually, all they seem to talk about is TV and what they think about if Apple enters the market. Seems it has absolutely nothing to do with the PS3.
---
- He doesn't row?
- No, he DOESN'T row.
#9DelsinRowePosted 4/11/2013 4:33:48 PM
Still__Rippin posted...
DelsinRowe posted...
Still__Rippin posted...

No, actually, all they seem to talk about is TV and what they think about if Apple enters the market. Seems it has absolutely nothing to do with the PS3.

Well they did say that gaming isn't mass market yet. Now that I look over the article I don't even know what they are trying to say. They go from saying gaming isn't a mass market to talking about possible Apple TVs.
---
You are not in control.
#10Still__RippinPosted 4/11/2013 4:35:33 PM
DelsinRowe posted...
Still__Rippin posted...
DelsinRowe posted...
Still__Rippin posted...

Well they did say that gaming isn't mass market yet. Now that I look over the article I don't even know what they are trying to say. They go from saying gaming isn't a mass market to talking about possible Apple TVs.

Yeah, it's a pretty terribly written piece.
---
- He doesn't row?
- No, he DOESN'T row.