This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is there such a division between Japanese and Western fighting game fans?

#41FayeLadyPosted 4/13/2013 1:48:55 PM
2Point5D posted...
Mutant1988 posted...
There's western developed fighting games?

Oh, Mortal Kombat... Yeah, too stiff and juggle centric for my liking.

Though honestly, is there any western developed fighting games at all besides MK and it's spin-offs?

Skull Girls, I guess. Can't think of anything else.

BlazBlue is a western fighting game as well. It was developed by Aksys Games.

nope, it was developed by arc system works. They are not one in the same.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#42ManservicePosted 4/13/2013 2:01:09 PM
I'm no weeaboo, but most Western fighting games (Including MK9) suck. Tekken, Street Fighter, SoulCalibur, Virtua Fighter and Guilty Gear can't be topped. As for Skullgirls, it felt like a game made by weeaboos and for weeaboos. Not many Western fighting franchises are relevant nowadays either.
#43balmung2100Posted 4/13/2013 2:17:53 PM
BaseChouGoku posted...
Why is there such a division between Japanese and Western fighting game fans?

Because Western fighting game fans are casuals that normally don't like/can't play/suck at fighting games and only like 2 to 3 series (MK, KI, and maybe ClayFighter or upcoming Injustice )

A real fighting game fan likes a wider range of fighting games and is usually good at them. They might even like MK as well, but to like it exclusively.....well you're a scrub.

Majority of the best fighters are from Japan though. It's not even a debate its fact. Most fighting games are made in Japan.

"scrub" "casual".....for real....? Lol.

Anyway nothing about what you posted is fact. It is very debatable and heavily opinion based.
---
With this blow....I shall seal your fate!!!
"Yukimura Sanada"
#44deadmarvPosted 4/13/2013 6:22:36 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
shawnmck posted...
BTW

It really annoys me how some Japanese games make total fun at Western Culture (especially the USA) and are actually insulting in subtle ways...
Yet so many Western gamers are either oblivious to it or think it's cute & funny.
To me it's F'n annoying.

They (Japanese) do it blatantly....yet if some Reviewer scores a Japanese made game below an 80%, then we are ridiculed as being anti-Japanese.
What a joke.

You Japanophiles aggravate me (you know who you are).
Japan can do no wrong, yet the West (particularly the US) can do no right.
You disgust me.

If you can't see things to make fun of regarding America and American culture, you are blind as ****.

You say this, but yet you jump on anyone making fun of japan or it's culture.
---
All PS3 owners should boycott Bethesda.
#45arstosPosted 4/13/2013 7:32:45 PM
RollingCradle posted...
I like pretty much every fighting game, the differences are what makes each worth while!

This. Although, I don't particularly care much for mk these days, the novelty of the uber violence wore off long ago and they feel a lot slower and clunkier than most jp fighters. SSFIV feels a lot slower and clunkier too, which is why I don't play it much either, probably something to do with using 3d models instead of sprites
---
PSN: dragonlibrarian plays; Awesomenauts, Skullgirls, Jojo's HD, SSFIITHDR, SFIII: OE, MVC2, AH3, KoF 94/95/96/XIII, VF5:FS, P4A, GGXXAC+HD, DS:R, CS:GO, UTIII
#46CyborgTwentyPosted 4/14/2013 1:25:00 AM
umvc3, mk9, ttt2 and injustice are the best fighting games while blazblu just sucks.
#47BaseChouGokuPosted 4/14/2013 11:50:29 AM
balmung2100 posted...

"scrub" "casual".....for real....? Lol.

Anyway nothing about what you posted is fact. It is very debatable and heavily opinion based.

It's all fact and not debatable at all. If you don't play fighting games how the hell can you be good at them.

If I had a dollar for every "I don't play fighting games but I like MK" I'd be a few thousand dollars richer.
#48peter_888Posted 4/14/2013 11:53:18 AM
CyborgTwenty posted...
umvc3, mk9, ttt2 and injustice are the best fighting games while blazblu just sucks.

uhh you do know that umvc3 was developed by a Japanese team which techinally makes it a Japanese fighting game right?
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#49Still__RippinPosted 4/14/2013 11:55:52 AM
Junpei_Stupei posted...
It's because of racism, TC.

Yeah, racists like you.
---
- He doesn't row?
- No, he DOESN'T row.
#50pixel378Posted 4/14/2013 11:57:39 AM
Well theres a different feel to MvC and MK. MK is western as hell and MvC vice versa.

I'm in the west and I prefer MK because I can actually play it without the controls being a barrier like in SF.

I wanted to play SF4 so bad but I couldn't get past the ridiculous stick spinning inputs( quarter turn, half, turn etc) and relegated to spamming. Obviously not fun so I sold it.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit