This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I was told there might be a TV expert on this board I may need some help from.

#31archizzyPosted 4/17/2013 4:53:17 PM(edited)
Springer posted...
What are your thoughts about adding protection plans to these TVs? That 55" ST60 has me drooling right now, but I see a 60" S60 for about the same price. Thoughts?

I never get protection plans. While you can get a faulty unit or have something fail, more often than not any failure will be in a pretty quick time frame.

You have standard warranty and then depending on your credit card company if you pay with a credit card many cards actually will double factory warranties though you would have to check this out.

As for the S60 while I can't verify with 100% accuracy yet it appears like last year you wouldn't want to go below the ST version. The S version this year appears to have a lesser panel, no AR filter, and I'm guessing limited calibration options compared to the ST set.

Also if 3D is ever a factor the S model is a non 3D version while the ST version is 3D and has included 2 pairs of glasses. Also the smart tv stuff doesn't come on the S version if that interests you.

There is supposed to be a review up later this week of the S60, if some of this other stuff doesn't matter to you, then you can wait and see what the professional review yields.

Only then will you be able to decide if that price difference is worth it to you.

*edit* If you really see yourself with this tv for 10 to 12 years I have to add, just go with the ST. That few hundred dollars is nothing when compared to something you plan on having for a good chunk of time. If this was a one year, or two year tv I could see potentially going with a lesser model if the other stuff didn't appeal to you but for the long term investment, don't skimp.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#32StephieGamerPosted 4/17/2013 5:57:07 PM
archizzy posted...
Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton

Have you still not received those damn submersives yet? It's been in your sig for like two years. I think Mark Seaton owes you an explanation.
---
My name's Reggie. I'm about kickin' ass. I'm about takin' names. And we're about makin' games.
#33archizzyPosted 4/17/2013 6:04:00 PM
I haven't touched my sig for years. Does it bother you so much that I help people in my free time rather than try to instigate like you? Grow up.
---
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#34StephieGamerPosted 4/17/2013 6:26:04 PM
archizzy posted...
I haven't touched my sig for years. Does it bother you so much that I help people in my free time rather than try to instigate like you? Grow up.

When did I ever mention you helping others? That's admirable.
I just think your sig bragging about electronics specs is pretentious and makes you appear more arrogant and egotistical than you are, since you help others.
Just some friendly advice.
---
My name's Reggie. I'm about kickin' ass. I'm about takin' names. And we're about makin' games.
#35archizzyPosted 4/17/2013 6:34:16 PM
The sig is there for other people who show a similar hobby interest in Home Theatre. Just like people who have movie quotes, or pictures of characters from games, or whatever they happen to have.

It stands out to like minded individuals and for the people who aren't into it they simply ignore it. It has nothing to do with ego.

Any board regular here knows I don't have ego as I spend hours upon hours here helping people and if needed will go to email or some other type of more intensive help and explaining and in rare cases have even spent time on the phone for hours, walking someone step by step through an audio process.

If someone thinks it is for ego that is their issue. My actions on the board over the course of years outweigh any signature no matter what words are in it.
---
#36Springer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 9:34:15 AM
Thank you for your help and saving me. Any recommendations on a soundbar?
---
**** taco bell
**** Matt Kenseth
#37archizzyPosted 4/18/2013 9:49:28 AM
Springer posted...
Thank you for your help and saving me. Any recommendations on a soundbar?

No. While soundbars are definitely better than tv speakers I find them to be a throw away investment of low quality. Even in the smallest of spaces someone would be better off with an entry level AVR and a pair of bookshelf speakers or even a pair of decent satellites.

For that matter they could run just the front soundstage and skip the surrounds if they wanted and just have 2 fronts and a center speaker.

At different times you can sometimes find some good deals. I have seen a set of 5 energy take classic satellites go for as little as about $120, and would be better than a soundbar even only utilizing 3 speakers.

Audio is a vastly open world with many options.

However ultimately I realize some simply don't have the budget, nor do they really care that much. In those instances sure, a soundbar is definitely better than tv speakers but no I don't have a recommendation on one.

I think the smarter thing to do investment wise is something you can build off of. Even starting with just 2 channels. Then you have the option of expanding speakers, adding a sub, upgrading speakers and so on.

A soundbar or one of those all in 1 bluray player/up convert systems are things that can't be built upon. They are something to get you by cheaply, and when you want something else just toss away.

But yes they are a cheap option and to beat a dead horse are certainly better than tv speakers.
---
#38mmpepsiPosted 4/18/2013 9:50:16 AM
Springer posted...
Why should I stay away from the TCL brand? And I can't seem to track down a 55" plasma for around $700

Ignore him. Plasma uses a lot more electricity than an LCD/LED and they tend to fail quicker. They're cheaper than the LCD/LED counterpart for a reason.
#39regsantotomasPosted 4/18/2013 10:03:35 AM
mmpepsi posted...
Springer posted...
Why should I stay away from the TCL brand? And I can't seem to track down a 55" plasma for around $700

Ignore him. Plasma uses a lot more electricity than an LCD/LED and they tend to fail quicker. They're cheaper than the LCD/LED counterpart for a reason.

Evidence?

Plasmas are cheaper (at this point) to manufacture at larger sizes. The technology is mature. It has nothing to do with inherent lower quality.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego