This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 Questions

#1DeathAndHealingPosted 4/15/2013 4:21:37 PM
Im trading my 360 for a PS3 on craigslist (possibly dumb I know), what should I look out for? Im looking for a clean/legit system and unsure of what or how it could be damaged. ie how to tell if its been banned on PSN, sitting on a temp YLOD fix, been modded, etc..

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!
---
I am a signature virus, please copy me to your own sig to help me spread.
#2Hucast9Posted 4/15/2013 4:24:17 PM
The best advice that I can give you is to not get a used PS3 system especially if it's one of the older fatter models. One of the worst decisions you can make is to get a used PS3 or Xbox 360 at Gamestop.
#3DeathAndHealing(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 4:27:13 PM
So fat PS3s are not worth it? Defects or just prone to malfunctions?
---
#4Boywonder1Posted 4/15/2013 4:34:04 PM
I have had 2 fat PS3's and both YLOD'd on me at some point . The Slim and Slimmer PS3 models are your best bet . And I have purchased most of my electronics on Craigslist with great success . Just have to be smart . Good luck .

PS
I personally don't think much of the 360. If you can find someone who's willing to trade I would go for it .
#5DeathAndHealing(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 4:38:34 PM
Thanks for the input gents! Ill definitely edit my ad to mention slim ps3s only.

Havent had a PS3 since the beginning and trying to hit it up before this console generation ends.
---
#6Hucast9Posted 4/15/2013 4:44:11 PM(edited)
DeathAndHealing posted...
So fat PS3s are not worth it? Defects or just prone to malfunctions?

Older fatter model PS3s can be unreliable because the have the biggest chips, and they produce the largest amount of heat. If you play under ideal conditions, then the console may last you a while. The console may not last a long time under not so ideal conditions like playing in room temperature of 80 degrees of more. Assume it was used in the worst conditions and that it has been opened & tinkered with.

If you get a used console you're going to need to get a slim for better reliability. There are first generation and second generation slims. There is also the super slim. I would pick the second generation slim or the super slim. The second generation slim had slightly smaller chips than the first generation slim. Look at the chart in this link to see the difference: http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/PS3-120GB-vs-160GB-Slim/td-p/11407463
#7DeathAndHealing(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 4:50:04 PM
Thanks for the chart!

Should I be worried about it being banned from PSN? Do they ban consoles like Microsoft does? I guess I can always check this by asking them to bring a multiplayer game and signing in to an online session?

Next, I planned on leaving the PS3 running over night to make sure its not screwed up and make sure its not sitting on any kind of temporary fix like how people used to put XBoxs in the freezer or the old towel trick lol.
---
#8PancakesRock15Posted 4/15/2013 5:06:03 PM
I suppose I've been lucky, but I've had my fat PS3 since Christmas season 07, not a single problem. I even leave it on for long periods of time xD. Maybe it's just because in Canada we have great natural cooling systems.
---
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[Red ||||||||||||||| Green ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] Blue.
Can't wait til PS4. PSN:Ultimatepancake