This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does PS+ work as far as Sony is concerned?

#1jon davisPosted 4/16/2013 5:02:03 AM
Do they pay devs a sum of money to be able to give games away free?
---
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.
#2Nightmare966Posted 4/16/2013 5:32:17 AM
That's correct, they negotiate with the publisher/dev an amount of money, IDK exactly if based per download or if they give a total sum, and the publisher agrees to have the game in PS Plus for X time.
---
PSN: Nightmare966
#3LuminescentRulePosted 4/16/2013 7:11:18 AM
I remember reading that how much a dev gets paid is proportional to how many downloads the game gets. It's obviously based on the price bracket of the game as well. So, from the amount that Sony gets for PS+ for the month, they take their cut and distribute the rest to the devs.

The devs also get more revenue from DLC.

Win for every party.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#4theshovellerPosted 4/16/2013 7:20:25 AM
Pretty much, though mind you, I'm just assuming that's how it works.

Sony goes up to Publisher regarding Game X. Publisher says "Yeah, we'll let you put Game X on your service for six weeks, in exchange for Y money." One of two things happen at this point - either less people than expected pick up the game, which results in the Publisher getting more money than expected for each "copy" of the game they gave out. The alternative is more people pick up the game than expected, and the Publisher either got money for a game that nobody was buying anymore (in the case of Saint's Row 2) or they have a chance to sell more DLC for it (in the case of... I don't know, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition.)

About the only way a publisher declines is if Sony approached on a game that's still either selling well, or is brand-spanking-new (and thus they most likely want to move units in retail stores.)

Again, all assumptions on my part. I'm sure there's a lot more "stuff" to factor in, but I wouldn't be surprised if it boils down to basically that.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"