This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D Most JRPG sequels are terrible compared to the original

#91PraetorXynPosted 4/16/2013 7:36:19 PM
SandOnMyBoot posted...
LenneValkirye posted...
FFX-2 was much better than FFX.
FFXIII-2 was just as good as FFXIII.

A sequel based purely on fanservice was much better than the original?

The original's story was a complete ripoff of Grandia 2 with a biblical theme (i.e. main enemy is called "Sin", summoners sacrifice themselves for the people like Jesus, science aka machina is forbidden and evil by the church, etc.)

The characters were by in large terrible. Tidus was an awful protagonist that looked like a reject from an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog, Wakka was a racial stereotype just not as bad as Barrett, Yuna was about as interesting as a rock until she actually was free to have a life in X-2 and develop a personality errr, I mean she became a slut according to most, etc. etc.

Most people hated Blitzball (though I spent more time on that than the game itself, as I loved it). I got all the celestial weapons, crafted better weapons than the celestial weapons, etc. I 100%ed that game and put a lot of time into it. But I was 12 or 13 and didn't really notice all its flaws until I went back and played it again later. People need to stop putting that game on a pedestal. It's even more overrated than 7 IMO, because 7 was actually good; you just hear about it so much you want to hate it.
#92ChiRobotPosted 4/16/2013 7:38:21 PM
PHEEliNUX posted...
Dantechan posted...
-Dirge of Cerberus:FF7
-Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New world
-Tales of Xillia 2
-Tales of Destiny 2
-Final Fantasy 4: The After Years
-FInal Fantasy XIII-2
-Final Fantasy X-2

Some of the pointless and bad sequels imo.

Get out

Agreed 100%.
---
add me on psn: walkingwestern
#93Devilman_AmonPosted 4/16/2013 7:38:42 PM
I hated Blitzball. It was slow moving and stupid.

They should either get rid of it or redesign it completely by making it real time, faster and playing more like Inazuma Eleven with online
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#94Virtue777Posted 4/17/2013 10:21:18 PM
Virtue777 posted...
Shineboxer posted...
Most JRPG's are terrible, period.

---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#95Seifer_usPosted 4/17/2013 10:42:04 PM
Generally there are a lot of bad ones, but Suikoden II, Shadow Hearts II, and Star Ocean: The Second Story disprove that theory. There are also plenty of Japan-only examples too, like Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru and The Legend of Xanadu II. Actually, I think Breath of Fire II might be another one. Hell, what am I saying, there's tons of great sequels.

Deny.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#96Runner_stylePosted 4/17/2013 11:08:15 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
Aside from art style Ar Tonelico 2 made 1 look like crap. ATQ on the other hand not so much...

There was definitely too much fan service in ATQ, but with that aside I did like some of the characters, the story, and above all the OST that's what sets it apart (imo of course)

Anyhoo,

Atelier Iris 2 (although I loved the first, the second was simply better, 3 not so much)
Golden Sun 2
SMT: Nocturne
Etrian Odyssey 2,3,4
Grandia 2 I enjoyed the first one, but I liked the story, and characters of 2 a little more.
---
If you're going to throw words around at least know their meaning. Case and point for GFaqs. Troll, and Weeaboo.
#97wsoldier182Posted 4/18/2013 2:28:44 AM
DefYouth posted...
donkeyjack posted...
FOH with FF10-2.

That game was a classic.

X-2 was fun to play but all of the criticisms of it are right. It was made to please fans and it ruined X's ending.
---
We're all going to the same place, we're just using different maps.
#98BlinkWinkelPosted 4/20/2013 7:16:44 AM
Dantechan posted...
-Dirge of Cerberus:FF7
-Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New world
-Tales of Xillia 2
-Tales of Destiny 2
-Final Fantasy 4: The After Years
-FInal Fantasy XIII-2
-Final Fantasy X-2

Some of the pointless and bad sequels imo.

I can't disagree with your other choices, but FFXIII-2?! What are you talking about? FFXIII-2 was a lot more fun than FFXIII.
---
PSN: http://psnprofiles.com/BlinkWinkel
My Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/BlinkWinkel
#99thisranksPosted 4/20/2013 7:30:20 AM(edited)
Actually i think the regionally challenged are worse than the average gamer. Abnormal mentality + regional box = lack of an open mind, ignorance, and bias.

BTW, i can't confirm or deny something that only exists because of abnormal thought processes. Sorry.
---
She blinded me with region ....
Yuki Nagato, Mafuyu Oribe, Kurumu Korono, and Himari Noihara FTW
#100TowerBooks3192Posted 4/20/2013 7:31:04 AM
Nope.

Suikoden 2 is better than the first one
---
Everyday is great at your Junes