This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 world news. Bethesda notes that used games are a serious problem

#1xenosaga123Posted 4/16/2013 1:28:31 PM
Yea it seems used games continue to hurt companies.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541236
#2art_of_the_killPosted 4/16/2013 1:32:22 PM
Bethesda is fortunate enough to have games that pull 10 million in sales.

They should shut up.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#3toadiemanPosted 4/16/2013 1:35:05 PM
Maybe if their games weren't so glitchy people would buy them full price.
---
PSN: toadieman
#4jrr18Posted 4/16/2013 1:35:52 PM
toadieman posted...
Maybe if their games weren't so glitchy people would buy them full price.

people do skyrim pulled COD level sales in the first week
---
Victory over the leprechaun werewolves through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#5JerichoDarkstarPosted 4/16/2013 1:37:11 PM
Used games do NOT hurt developers at all. If there are 2 million used game sales, that means there were 2 million new game sales as well. A game cannot be used if it wasn't purchased new at some point.

If a developer wants less used sales out of their games, then they need to make them so good that more people want them day 1. I understand that this doesn't always work. I love a lot of developers, but I can't buy all their games day 1. Still, if I don't buy Company A's game new and instead buy Company B's game new, there will be someone else who buys Company A's game new and not Company B's. It balances itself out.

art_of_the_kill posted...
Bethesda is fortunate enough to have games that pull 10 million in sales.

They should shut up.

And yeah, Bethseda is one to talk.
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud
#6SixStringHeroPosted 4/16/2013 1:37:51 PM
I like Bethesda. However, I don't agree. Used games are not a problem. If your game is used, it was bought new at one point. The publisher already profited from the initial sale.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
#7AlltraPosted 4/16/2013 1:48:08 PM(edited)
There's a used market for everything. There has been a used market for games, at the very least as long as I've been a gamer. (1985) I get the whole "Used sales are new sales we didn't get" thought process they have. I don't think that logic flies though, unless they have some kind of market data to back it up that I don't have access to. I can't see how they could think that just because people are buying used, that if that option wasn't available they'd be buying new.

...and frankly I scoff at the idea that DLC is a tool for making a game last longer. Maybe...maybe... the way they try to use it, by bringing out full blown expansions, but for the most part DLC makes me even less likely to buy a game new. If I know I'm gonna have to pay an additional amount of money, I'm either going to want to find a cheaper used or discounted new title to offset the price of the DLC, or I'm not gonna buy the game at all because I can find similar games for less that don't have DLC and offer just as much content as the game + DLC combined.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#88f9g43k8ku7335pPosted 4/16/2013 1:49:21 PM
Their buggy games are a serious problem. They should be thankful that people are even paying to play their games.
#9jrr18Posted 4/16/2013 1:50:00 PM
8f9g43k8ku7335p posted...
Their buggy games are a serious problem. They should be thankful that people are even paying to play their games.

not just people COD sales level people!
---
Victory over the leprechaun werewolves through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#10Dirk_McHardpeckPosted 4/16/2013 2:02:23 PM
The entire automobile industry just called Bethesda and told them to shut the **** up