This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Shadow of the Colossus is a perfect game? (spoiler)

#51art_of_the_killPosted 4/18/2013 1:46:03 PM
I wouldn't call it perfect, but I think it's a game that you're definitely missing out on if you haven't played it.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#52mad_hax_manPosted 4/18/2013 3:49:59 PM
OEIO999 posted...
Shekb posted...
OEIO999 posted...
mad_hax_man posted...
Its not perfect, but nothing is. But its one of those games that I would give a 10/10 to, not because it doesn't have flaws, but because its flaws are just so inconsequential compared to its strengths, uniqueness and influence over the industry.

And its story isn't weak

It really is, compare the story of Bioshock or Spec Ops (or any other A-list titles) and you'll know what a good/strong and fluent story is.

It's not because it doesn't tell you everything directly that it's bad

Minimalism IS a thing

What? What's bad? To me the story was straight forward and simple, save the girl, kill a couple of gigantours and hopefully the devil decides to follow through with his/her deal *snickers*, also throw in a couple of deaths a.k.a the horse dying and there's really nothing indirect about it.

Neither Bioshock or Spec Ops were anything other than simple. Walker does a bad thing and goes crazy . Guy is send into Rapture to kill an Ayn Rand knock off and turns out to be a puppet to some other guy, whom he latter kills

SotC is leagues above Spec Ops and is at least on par with Bioshock, if not even better. Its story maybe be simple, but it uses its gameply to tell its story in a much stronger fashion than the other two. There is the isolation felt by exploring a desolate and empty land, the bond with Agro for being the only real ally you have in such an isolated area, the feelings of insignificance of the main character compared to the land, The Colossi and the greater conflict between Dormin and Emon, there's the guilt on killing off certain colossi, the hopelessness of fleeing from Dormins corruption or trying to escape the pool, the determination of the main character facing off against such impossible odds.

Its called minimalism. And in an industry that has relatively recently begun to explore what it can do with interactive story telling, putting less focus on things like plot twist and putting the actual focus on developing emotions through gameplay is whats needed.
---
"Hey bridesmaid, love the beard! Give's me something to hang onto!!"- Lord Flasheart
#53mgs4fan540Posted 4/18/2013 4:21:39 PM
not really, but close

Some of the colossus' were almost identical, two of them weren't even big, some were just boring. Agro's controls stink, and camera got in the way. Story is straightforward, and the ending is terrible.
---
JRPG >>>>WPRG
#54BuyersRemorse55Posted 4/18/2013 4:31:31 PM
No, its an overrated game
#55MaxP188Posted 4/18/2013 4:36:20 PM
That collection sucks along with DMC HD and jax and dexter why did I buy them
---
wow! Currently playing: Darksiders 2 DMC HD
#56SegavsCapcomPosted 4/18/2013 4:37:04 PM
Its... definitely a work of art, that's for certain.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#57majin nemesisPosted 4/18/2013 4:39:00 PM
it's not perfect but it's one of the best games i ever played
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage