The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The term Metroidvania is stupid...

#1SophisticationPosted 4/17/2013 7:05:29 AM(edited)
For one... Castlevania didn't adopt the map system and back tracking until SOTN. Castlevania 3 dabled in branching paths but nothing backtracking. It literally makes no sense that term.

At least PAAGG makes sense and is all encompassing.

Metroid
Kid Icarus
Rygar
Bionic Commando

All of them were before SOTN... why not meld them together? At least it would make sense. In fact, the only console castlevania to ever have such gameplay was SOTN. The rest were on gameboy. That's lame butter biscuits.

Ps

Castlevania 2 was a very different game... it had backtracking, but no map system.
---
As a true Sophistocrat I am commissioned to spread my success, fame, savvy and arrogance across the land-- Gamefaq's, you are welcome.
PSN:sophistocrat
#2ManuKesnaPosted 4/17/2013 7:07:37 AM
HAHAHAHA says the guy that uses PAGG LOL
---
PSN: Manu-Kesna
GT: ManuKesna
#3kupo1705Posted 4/17/2013 7:10:38 AM
I agree, they should be called FMAANL2DMGs.
#4Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 7:12:15 AM
ManuKesna posted...
HAHAHAHA says the guy that uses PAGG LOL

It's PAAGG...
---
As a true Sophistocrat I am commissioned to spread my success, fame, savvy and arrogance across the land-- Gamefaq's, you are welcome.
#53rd-DagreePosted 4/17/2013 7:14:26 AM
did you say PAWG?
---
Q: How do I have sex in this game people - csnthefirst
A: Why don't you try having sex in real life? - Dr_Mojo
#6TerotrousPosted 4/17/2013 7:15:12 AM
Metroidvania = 2D Platformer / Adventure hybrid.

It's true that these existed long before SotN. The Wonder Boy series (starting with Wonder Boy in Monster Land) was another early example of this hybrid. Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap is actually kind of like an 8-bit version of SotN.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#7LemonKweenstaaaPosted 4/17/2013 7:15:34 AM
Except PAAGG doesn't make sense because there is always someone or something holding the gun.
---
Official Orange Sherbet of the IDF
31,795 > 66,980 -Sailor Goon
#8Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 7:19:15 AM
Terotrous posted...
Metroidvania = 2D Platformer / Adventure hybrid.

It's true that these existed long before SotN. The Wonder Boy series (starting with Wonder Boy in Monster Land) was another early example of this hybrid. Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap is actually kind of like an 8-bit version of SotN.

Good call on the Wonder Boy series. Monster land, too. I don't believe I ever got to play WB 3. I need to check it out.
---
#9este914Posted 4/17/2013 7:20:42 AM
Yea "Metroidvania" is stupid ... But then again so is PAAGG ...
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#10PhaseSlaethePosted 4/17/2013 7:22:21 AM
Since "Metroidvania" actually fits the games they refer to, it works and makes sense.