This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The term Metroidvania is stupid...

#21theshovellerPosted 4/17/2013 8:56:39 AM
Sophistication posted...
Castlevania 2 was a very different game... it had backtracking, but no map system.

Lots of games had no map system, but were maze-like in their design. Blaster Master? Hell, that could fit "Metroidvania" also, albeit they kinda clearly mark the levels out as "Stage 1, Stage 2, etc." so you know you need to find Stage 4 if you just beat Stage 3, and you'll need to find Stage 5 after that.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#22NuuTypePosted 4/17/2013 9:02:05 AM
They way people use it seems mostly derogatory, especially in light of lords of shadow.
---
Probability of mission hiderance..zero percent
#23ManuKesnaPosted 4/17/2013 9:03:52 AM
ManuKesna posted...
oh god this is topic both hilarious and pathetic at the same time hahahahahahaha

Like your posts here with us...

naah that is you :o hahahaha
---
PSN: Manu-Kesna White 2 FC: 1593-4524-9776
GT: ManuKesna
#24c0rr0s10nPosted 4/17/2013 9:04:01 AM
My friends and I always called it Castleroid... I take it we are the only ones?
---
When asked about Black Ops 2, ii Tryhard has this to say: "If you have <2 KD, you are BAD at this game."
#25AnonUnknownPosted 4/17/2013 9:19:48 AM
c0rr0s10n posted...
My friends and I always called it Castleroid... I take it we are the only ones?

It's the same...
#26DemiFistPosted 4/17/2013 9:23:37 AM
The term Metroidvania is stupid...
So are you TC but people just deal with it.
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#27Flare1721Posted 4/17/2013 9:25:35 AM
Most of your topics/posts are stupid.
---
Best Boss Battle Ever Xemnas- KH2, Long Live Mega Man Legends 3!
PSN: Strife1721
#28Auron_MasamunePosted 4/17/2013 9:36:45 AM
For one... Castlevania didn't adopt the map system and back tracking until SOTN. Castlevania 3 dabled in branching paths but nothing backtracking. It literally makes no sense that term.

You do understand the term was made when SOTN came out, right? It was used to define Castlevania games that played in a Metroid-like structure, hence Metroidvania. It was not a genre it was just something people said when a Castlevania game had the same structure as a Metroid game.
---
My Vita Wallpaper Collection: http://damack.imgur.com/
#29RetroFanGirlPosted 4/17/2013 9:42:25 AM(edited)
PAAGG isn't accurate, if anything you play as a disembodied hand carrying a gun forced to atone for his sins by committing countless atrocities between set pieces. Occasionally those hands have legs.

Glover reboot.
---
Hi.
#30Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 9:39:52 AM
Auron_Masamune posted...
For one... Castlevania didn't adopt the map system and back tracking until SOTN. Castlevania 3 dabled in branching paths but nothing backtracking. It literally makes no sense that term.

You do understand the term was made when SOTN came out, right? It was used to define Castlevania games that played in a Metroid-like structure, hence Metroidvania. It was not a genre it was just something people said when a Castlevania game had the same structure as a Metroid game.

Sorta like how PAAGG is used to describe all games where you play as a gun. Gotcha.
---
As a true Sophistocrat I am commissioned to spread my success, fame, savvy and arrogance across the land-- Gamefaq's, you are welcome.
PSN:sophistocrat