This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The term Metroidvania is stupid...

#31LemonKweenstaaaPosted 4/17/2013 9:56:40 AM
LemonKweenstaaa posted...
Except PAAGG doesn't make sense because there is always someone or something holding the gun.

Are you going to rebut this?
---
Official Orange Sherbet of the IDF
31,795 > 66,980 -Sailor Goon
#32ManservicePosted 4/17/2013 10:06:19 AM
They're both stupid, like your topic.
#33G-NsericoPosted 4/17/2013 10:17:49 AM
Yes, I've been thinking about this matter for some time, to use the term "Metroidvania" is meaningless, because there were Castlevania games that used the free exploration long before SotN.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest is the first example that comes to mind, that game came out in 1987, long before Super Metroid and even Metroid 2.

SotN is just a Castlevania game, retaking the style of Simon's Quest.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiG7z1lrs70
#34snicklecuckPosted 4/17/2013 10:33:37 AM
Is this the biggest concern in your life right now?
#35este914Posted 4/17/2013 10:39:39 AM
Except PAAGG doesn't make sense because there is always someone or something holding the gun.

He would say something like; 'not that you can see, for all you know it is just a floating gun running around the levels doing things.'
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#36Swiftblade09Posted 4/17/2013 10:52:42 AM
TC you aren't gonna get people to quit calling them metroidvanias. More importantly people decided to name that type of game a metroidvania when the gameplay style became more notable. You could also for example argue that rpg is an inaccurate genre name but it doesn't matter. It is a descriptor for fans of a certain style of gameplay. It works. So get over it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raiz5MAb98Q
Official Salamence of the Pokemon X and Y boards
#37TomoEK9Posted 4/17/2013 11:00:19 AM

That would require effort and intelligence.

Best you get is a smarmy comment.
#38ChaoticKnucklesPosted 4/17/2013 11:08:54 AM
Terotrous posted...
Well to be honest it's not uncommon for people to refer to genre combinations based on notable games having that designation.

Compare "Roguelikes", which are named after the game "Rogue", even when they don't closely approximate its mechanics. They're really a specific type of Strategy RPG (Strategy / Dungeon Crawler), but that doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

Sophistication, you saw this post right? It pretty much addresses your issue with the term "Metroidvania" by citing another example of a similar thing occurring with the term "Roguelikes" and the reason why. You aren't ignoring this on purpose are you?
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#39RyuuHou25Posted 4/17/2013 11:10:30 AM
Sophistication posted...
Auron_Masamune posted...
For one... Castlevania didn't adopt the map system and back tracking until SOTN. Castlevania 3 dabled in branching paths but nothing backtracking. It literally makes no sense that term.

You do understand the term was made when SOTN came out, right? It was used to define Castlevania games that played in a Metroid-like structure, hence Metroidvania. It was not a genre it was just something people said when a Castlevania game had the same structure as a Metroid game.

Sorta like how PAAGG is used to describe all games where you play as a gun. Gotcha.

Oh look, star boys infamous admitting he's wrong indirectly message.

Poor poor star boy.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#40HenryKazukaPosted 4/17/2013 11:22:11 AM
Sophistication posted...
For one... Castlevania didn't adopt the map system and back tracking until SOTN. Castlevania 3 dabled in branching paths but nothing backtracking. It literally makes no sense that term.

It makes sense from a historical point of view.
Metroid and Castlevania were the most popular sidescrolling plataform action games in the nes and snes, but they weren't completely similar, each had their own 'thing'. But then came the Playstation, and with it, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. This game took some elements from Metroid into the world of Castlevania and it was very well received.
Hence, people started comparing those two and the word "Metroidvania" was born. Sure, those two franchises decided to go 3D not long after that, but SotN and Super Metroid represent the most classic examples of the genre and they might as well name it.

It works like TVTropes i guess, the most popular example gives the name to the trope.
---
Persona! *blows his head off*