This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The term Metroidvania is stupid...

#41NarutoPosted 4/17/2013 10:39:18 AM
Metroidvania is used to describe Castlevania games that play like Metroid. It's just that people started using the term outside of Castlevania titles. I'm not sure what's the problem here.
#42ManuKesnaPosted 4/17/2013 10:41:40 AM
Poor dpb got destroyed in his own topic again :(
---
PSN: Manu-Kesna White 2 FC: 1593-4524-9776
GT: ManuKesna
#43AnonUnknownPosted 4/17/2013 10:45:08 AM
Naruto posted...
I'm not sure what's the problem here.

TC.
#44spectermaster14Posted 4/17/2013 11:20:27 AM
Kid Icarus is nothing like Metroid. It's entirely linear. I agree that the term should only apply to Castlevania games with Metroid style, but you're still wrong.
#45Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 11:39:22 AM
spectermaster14 posted...
Kid Icarus is nothing like Metroid. It's entirely linear. I agree that the term should only apply to Castlevania games with Metroid style, but you're still wrong.

No it's not... ever get to a boss level? It's exactly like metroid in those sections. So much so they even used the same graphics pallets for lava and stone.
---
As a true Sophistocrat I am commissioned to spread my success, fame, savvy and arrogance across the land-- Gamefaq's, you are welcome.
PSN:sophistocrat
#46spectermaster14Posted 4/17/2013 11:40:36 AM
It ran on the same engine and had some maze levels. That's it, it's really nothing like Metroid.
#47Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 11:50:09 AM
spectermaster14 posted...
It ran on the same engine and had some maze levels. That's it, it's really nothing like Metroid.

You said it's linear... but it's not. Maze levels is nothing like linear. Guacamele is more Kid Icarus than castlevania for instance... it plays more like Metroid and kid icarus, yet people still called it Metroidvania. Hell, even the temple levels were set up like Kid Icarus temple/palace levels.
---
As a true Sophistocrat I am commissioned to spread my success, fame, savvy and arrogance across the land-- Gamefaq's, you are welcome.
#48GoodOlWanduPosted 4/17/2013 11:52:04 AM
G-Nserico posted...
Yes, I've been thinking about this matter for some time, to use the term "Metroidvania" is meaningless, because there were Castlevania games that used the free exploration long before SotN.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest is the first example that comes to mind, that game came out in 1987, long before Super Metroid and even Metroid 2.

SotN is just a Castlevania game, retaking the style of Simon's Quest.

I agree with this. Although i dont care for the term Metroidvania, i hate how it is used to describe games. Like Mass Effect, the play style is more compared to a TPS than it is a RPG, so i dont consider it a RPG game. Thats my opinion and i like the game.

Also i HATE the term PAAGG. It just sounds dumb.
---
PSN: Wandu
XBL: TALTON 187
#49ChaoticKnucklesPosted 4/17/2013 11:56:41 AM
Terotrous posted...
Well to be honest it's not uncommon for people to refer to genre combinations based on notable games having that designation.

Compare "Roguelikes", which are named after the game "Rogue", even when they don't closely approximate its mechanics. They're really a specific type of Strategy RPG (Strategy / Dungeon Crawler), but that doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

Why are you ignoring this post TC? It addresses your issue with the term "Metroidvania". Also perhaps games with that distinction use Metroid to describe the exploration and layout of the game and Castlevania to refer to the way your character gets stronger. Just my own two cents on it but I think the post that I quoted offers a far more likely reason for why the term is used to refer to games of that style.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#50Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 12:04:47 PM
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
Terotrous posted...
Well to be honest it's not uncommon for people to refer to genre combinations based on notable games having that designation.

Compare "Roguelikes", which are named after the game "Rogue", even when they don't closely approximate its mechanics. They're really a specific type of Strategy RPG (Strategy / Dungeon Crawler), but that doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

Why are you ignoring this post TC? It addresses your issue with the term "Metroidvania". Also perhaps games with that distinction use Metroid to describe the exploration and layout of the game and Castlevania to refer to the way your character gets stronger. Just my own two cents on it but I think the post that I quoted offers a far more likely reason for why the term is used to refer to games of that style.

Can you jump outta your seat any higher? Yes, I seen it... but he is implying that metroidvania rolls off the tongue -- it doesn't. It sounds absurd. Stupid and only pops would use it.

Metronic rolls off the tongue.
Rytroid rolls off the tongue

All 3 games play and represent the genre better than castlevania does... so this, right here, is why I'm ignoring the post. Now take a seat and learn something.
---