This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The term Metroidvania is stupid...

#61Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 2:00:32 PM
TheStattler posted...
Sophistication posted...
TheStattler posted...
I'll just leave this here :

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/65795328

Bioschock infinite is a perfect example of paid media bias. Means jack... garbage paagg with an exuberant budget that could have done good for mankind but instead went into making a forgettable, painfully cheesy game.

Good call 2k... good call...

Your opinion on a game changes nothing that you were wrong about (as usual) in that topic and the one it links to.

Sophistication failure.

So, by your logic, it's perfectly acceptable for a game to get paid reviews as long as "you" like the game. Gotcha.
---
As a true Sophistocrat I am commissioned to spread my success, fame, savvy and arrogance across the land-- Gamefaq's, you are welcome.
PSN:sophistocrat
#62ChaoticKnucklesPosted 4/17/2013 2:03:20 PM
Sophistication posted...
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
Sophistication posted...
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
Terotrous posted...
Well to be honest it's not uncommon for people to refer to genre combinations based on notable games having that designation.

Compare "Roguelikes", which are named after the game "Rogue", even when they don't closely approximate its mechanics. They're really a specific type of Strategy RPG (Strategy / Dungeon Crawler), but that doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

Why are you ignoring this post TC? It addresses your issue with the term "Metroidvania". Also perhaps games with that distinction use Metroid to describe the exploration and layout of the game and Castlevania to refer to the way your character gets stronger. Just my own two cents on it but I think the post that I quoted offers a far more likely reason for why the term is used to refer to games of that style.

Can you jump outta your seat any higher? Yes, I seen it... but he is implying that metroidvania rolls off the tongue -- it doesn't. It sounds absurd. Stupid and only pops would use it.

Metronic rolls off the tongue.
Rytroid rolls off the tongue

All 3 games play and represent the genre better than castlevania does... so this, right here, is why I'm ignoring the post. Now take a seat and learn something.

First of all, I posted twice. Wouldn't call that "jumping out if my seat". Second, what does and doesn't roll off the tongue isn't relevant to my post since that isn't mentioned anywhere in it by me or the person I quoted. And third and most importantly, you seem to have missed the point.

The point is the term became popular not because Castlevania represents Metroid better than the other series you named, but because at the time it was the most recognizable series to do it well. It's the same reason people use Call of Duty to describe practically any first person shooter, or to take it out of the realm of video games, the reason they call pretty much any plastic flying disc a frisbee. Perhaps SoTN wasn't the first to blend Metroid style gameplay with its franchise or even the best to do it, but at the time that the phrase was popularized SoTN was certainly the most visible and high profile.

And your take a seat and learn something comment was unnecessary. You're no better than anyone else that posts here.

High profile? SOTN, to date has only sold 1.17 million units... on an install of over 200 million.

Ps1
Ps3
Xbox 360

That isn't high profile... that's abysmal.

Most gamers are not only aware of it, but regard it as one of the greatest games ever made. That alone makes it high profile, sales numbers aren't going to change the fact that a lot of people are aware of the game and view it very favorably. I would think someone with your supposed level of sophistication would know that.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#63TheStattlerPosted 4/17/2013 2:06:35 PM
Sophistication posted...
TheStattler posted...
Sophistication posted...
TheStattler posted...
I'll just leave this here :

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/65795328

Bioschock infinite is a perfect example of paid media bias. Means jack... garbage paagg with an exuberant budget that could have done good for mankind but instead went into making a forgettable, painfully cheesy game.

Good call 2k... good call...

Your opinion on a game changes nothing that you were wrong about (as usual) in that topic and the one it links to.

Sophistication failure.

So, by your logic, it's perfectly acceptable for a game to get paid reviews as long as "you" like the game. Gotcha.

Nope, that however is not the point you made, were wrong about and are struggling to save face on. It's all in those two topics for people to read.

It's no wonder you're treated as a joke around here.
---
OFFICIAL BOY WHO WAITED OF THE DOCTOR WHO BOARD
Stattox.....REBORN!
#64PhoenixmgsPosted 4/17/2013 2:09:59 PM
At least Metroidvania makes sense. JRPGs aren't even RPGs lol.
---
"Half of writing history is hiding the truth" - Malcolm Reynolds - Serenity
#65Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 2:10:54 PM
chaotic:
Most gamers are not only aware of it, but regard it as one of the greatest games ever made. That alone makes it high profile, sales numbers aren't going to change the fact that a lot of people are aware of the game and view it very favorably. I would think someone with your supposed level of sophistication would know that.

So "lots" of gamers look at a game they never bought favorably? Nice... I look at jr mints favorably, loved them as a kid, but haven't bought a box in years.
---
As a true Sophistocrat I am commissioned to spread my success, fame, savvy and arrogance across the land-- Gamefaq's, you are welcome.
#66Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 12:50:43 PM
Phoenixmgs posted...
At least Metroidvania makes sense. JRPGs aren't even RPGs lol.

Neither make sense... they are both lame butter biscuits.
---
#67GunzleaderPosted 4/18/2013 1:50:35 PM
so is PAAGG.. touche.
---
Persona series ftw. RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012
#68Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 3:47:30 PM
Gunzleader posted...
so is PAAGG.. touche.

But paagg makes sense... you are playing as a gun. Metroidvania is trying to sell a game to a fanbase and it's unfounded at that
---
#69AnonUnknownPosted 4/18/2013 4:50:08 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#70Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 4:07:11 PM
For "certain" games... that's your argument? Hahaha... I balked at you before, now I just feel sorry for you.

Metronic and Rytroid can be used for "certain" games as well. Your argument is null and void. Like your existence.
---