This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The term Metroidvania is stupid...

#71NeoGeoXSegaPosted 4/18/2013 3:11:17 PM
It's called that because Super Metroid & Castelvania: SOTN are the best games out of the entire genre & have not been topped since.

Thus Metroidvania.
---
"gone are the days of creativity, and playing japanese games because you secretly wish you were japanese" -CinisterX
#72Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 3:12:17 PM
NeoGeoXSega posted...
It's called that because Super Metroid & Castelvania: SOTN are the best games out of the entire genre & have not been topped since.

Thus Metroidvania.

Sounds like an opinion...
---
As a true Sophistocrat I am commissioned to spread my success, fame, savvy and arrogance across the land-- Gamefaq's, you are welcome.
PSN:sophistocrat
#73SoaringDivePosted 4/18/2013 3:15:12 PM
Wait... a topic where I actually agree with Sophistication and RollingCradle? O.o

I completely agree. Metroid is a series about being lost in/on a planet deserted by humans, where your only hope is to explore the unexplored, and find secrets. Almost every upgrade were just pure gameplay additions rather than stats (with the exception of the Varia suit?).

Castlevania is a linear action game (although CV3 had the paths, and we don't speak of that CV2 filth), where the only way to progress is to hone your skills and concentrate.

SotN was a game that got easier the more enemies you fight. Now, does that sound ANYTHING like Castlevania or Metroid? Because it sure doesn't to me.

Comparing SotN to Castlevania or Metroid is like comparing Metroid Prime to Call of Duty.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#74AnonUnknownPosted 4/18/2013 3:33:44 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#75foodeater4Posted 4/18/2013 3:35:46 PM
Metroid has been popular forever

SOTN was one of the few good side scrollers on PS1 and probably introduced a whole new generation of palyers to that type of game.

Thus Metrovania.

Most of those other games like Rygar and crap, only the oldest school players will know about those who had a NES back in the day. A lot of people started with PS1, hence also crap like FF7 gets praised so much even though the SNES FF's were much better.
#76BruceWayneJrPosted 4/18/2013 4:06:55 PM
Gamefaq is, you are welcome.
#77Still__RippinPosted 4/18/2013 4:07:57 PM
3rd-Dagree posted...
did you say PAWG?

l loved Pogs. Wish l would have kept all mine.
---
Believe it or not, George isn't at home. l must be out or l'd pick up the phone. WHERE COULD I BE?! Believe it or not l'm not HOME!
#78Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 4:32:42 PM
BruceWayneJr posted...
Gamefaq is, you are welcome.

Yes, English isn't my native language. I'm still learning it. Thanks for being so supportive of my efforts...
---
As a true Sophistocrat I am commissioned to spread my success, fame, savvy and arrogance across the land-- Gamefaq's, you are welcome.
PSN:sophistocrat
#79MwarriorHieiPosted 4/18/2013 5:01:10 PM
This sub-genre gets its name from the Metroid and Castlevania series. Metroid, published in 1986, was the Trope Codifier, (though the style had previously been utilized in the Atari 2600 game Pitfall II: Lost Caverns), and subsequent Metroid games have consistently used it in all of its installments (except Prime Pinball and possibly Prime Hunters), while Castlevania largely switched to it after the success of Castlevania Symphony Of The Night. The term itself was coined by Jeremy Parish of Gamespite, who originally used the term to refer specifically to those Metroid-inspired Castlevania games.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Metroidvania
---
http://i.imgur.com/TQEciMP.jpg
#80carsaucePosted 4/18/2013 5:14:41 PM
These terms are stupid
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous