This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Eternal Sonata and Star Ocean the Last Hope good? or good jrpgs?

#1gfaqsterPosted 4/17/2013 7:57:24 AM(edited)
I'm wondering if I should get them but I always hear conflicting stuff. Either people saying they are horrible or really good.

Gameplay videos look decent but not enough to make a decision.
---
We live to make the impossible possible!
-Lightning-
#2toadiemanPosted 4/17/2013 7:51:56 AM
Star Oceans gameplay is pretty fun. That's really all the game has going for it.
---
PSN: toadieman
#3PhaseSlaethePosted 4/17/2013 7:53:17 AM
Agreed.

SO4 has decent combat. The worst of the series besides 1, but not bad.

The rest is a trainwreck.
#4kingrat2314Posted 4/17/2013 8:25:21 AM
Eternal Sonata is great and Star Ocean The Last Hope is terrible.
---
With just a whisper, they're all ears.
#5ShineboxerPosted 4/17/2013 8:28:05 AM
Lost Odyssey
The Last Remnant
Infinite Undiscovery
Tales of Vesperia
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#6gfaqster(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 8:45:56 AM
Shineboxer posted...
Lost Odyssey
The Last Remnant
Infinite Undiscovery
Tales of Vesperia

last remnant and infinite undiscovery suck
---
We live to make the impossible possible!
-Lightning-
#7archizzyPosted 4/17/2013 10:57:17 AM
I really enjoyed Eternal Sonata. One of the most colorful games I have played in a very over saturated and bright world. I liked the characters and the story enough. Played through it twice to get all the score pieces and ultimate weapons and do the bonus dungeons. I highly enjoyed it.

Star Ocean 4 I eventually just stopped playing which says a lot for me. I loved White Knight Chronicles and put over 1,100 hours into it in 7 months. Most people hate the game. I loved Rune Factory Tides of Destiny which most people think is poor.

It takes a ton for me to not like an RPG. I didn't like Star Ocean 4 and couldn't even finish it. Every one is different though. Many people liked the battle system but I didn't think it was that great and not enough to overcome everything else that I just didn't care for.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#8peter_888Posted 4/17/2013 11:12:38 AM
well, visually. they're both look pretty good. Most notably Etenal Sonata. that game looks great. One of the better looking rpgs to date. Though Star Ocean the last hope doesn't look bad at all.

the story in SO4 is bad. It wasn't really anything special for the first few parts, but when it gets to the "earth" part, is where it goes downhill. I haven't beat Eternal Sonata but the story has 1 major flaw. The game talks way too much for it's own good. And most of the dialouge isn't really necessary.

Voice acting wise, SO4 got terrible direction and ES suffer from it's longwided dialogue.

Gameplay wise, SO4 is great in this while ES isn't too bad. SO4 gameplay is in the format in the usual action rpg but it's really good. ES is more unique with it trying to mix turn based and real time, though there are some flaws with it.(like how it can get a bit repetitive)
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#9LevittaPosted 4/17/2013 11:16:44 AM
Eternal Sonata's writing is bad(and pretentious) and the plot gets really stupid by the end. The combat is unique and varied but pretty poorly balanced. The game is quite beautiful to look at and the soundtrack is pretty strong. Overall I wouldn't recommend playing it.
---
Trails in the Sky for the PSP, has the best writing and setting I've seen in a RPG. Please support it so the sequels can come out.
#10thisranksPosted 4/17/2013 11:25:57 AM
Good RPGs? I own them both and enjoyed them. I wouldn't take my word for it, though. The smart gamer knows his/her likes/dislikes.

As for the regional aspect: you need abnormal advice for that which i can't provide. Only ignorant folks prioritize region over fun.
---
She blinded me with region ....
Yuki Nagato, Mafuyu Oribe, Kurumu Korono, and Himari Noihara FTW