This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Final Fantasy can't handle a sequel.

#1Keroro_2350Posted 4/18/2013 1:56:24 AM
Look at Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy XIII-2,both of these games are really bad compared to the originals one. In both Final Fantasy X and XIII, they have great story and characters, but when it comes to the sequels everything that is great in their originals change.

In my opinion, the reason that both X-2 and XIII-2 are not as great as its originals is because it lacks of the joy journey from place to place. In FFX, we have to start out journey from Besaid all the way to the Zanarkands Ruins and while on the journey many interesting happens, and that same goes with FFXIII. But in X-2 and XIII-2, there is an airship in X-2 that allows you to go places to places in just a a second while XIII-2 has the Historia Crux that transport you to different timeline.

Character selection is also missing out in both FF sequels, both FFx and XIII has a great selection of characters for you to choose so that you can choose the best characters out from the party for its unique skills and strategy. But it's sequels remove this great character selection and only limits you to only have 3 characters in a party and not more. This is really bad cause we are forced to use the YRP in X-2 throughout the whole game and in XIII there are only Serah,Noel and a monster for you. Yes, X-2 has many dresspheres and XIII has hundreds of monster to choose from but still the lack of character selection really kill the joy.

In my opinion, Final Fantasy is about a character journey through the world and meet characters along their way and all of them share a common goal that is to destroy the evil from taking over the world and along their journey they meet many mishap and problems but all of them unite to solve the problems and work together to destroy the bad guys.

But both sequels are missing the joy of journey from a place to place and character selection. Coincidentally, both sequels are about finding their loves ones and lack of characters selection.
#2Devilman_AmonPosted 4/18/2013 2:02:05 AM(edited)
It's because the sequels are afterthoughts; not as much time went into making the story, world and the characters are already fleshed out from the previous game, so many times their character portrayal can end up changing for the worse for no reason. The budget isn't as high, the enemies are recycled, the worlds as well at times, or are scrapped together from idea leftovers from the previous game.
Mainly the sequels are cash ins.

One might even argue that the sequels aren't even canon. That all they are really are, are 'what-ifs'....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#3NihiluxPosted 4/18/2013 2:02:44 AM
As much as I hate FFX-2, it had the best battle system in a FF game yet. But I agree that there shouldn't be a sequel to a FF entry. Mostly because it's supposed to be a full experience in one game, a complete story in one game, a final fantasy.
#4kupo1705Posted 4/18/2013 2:08:34 AM
FFXIII-2 was a big improvement over FFXIII.
It still shouldn't have been made.
#5majin nemesisPosted 4/18/2013 8:46:04 AM
i liked both and i think that's the fans that can't handle sequels
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#6HwoarangExpert1Posted 4/18/2013 8:53:55 AM
I think its just the internet and this message board that can't handle a sequel

I personally handle them just fine, and will welcome the next one
---
PSN - Ziaro_7
#7DaggeraxePosted 4/18/2013 9:19:54 AM
Motomu Toriyama can't handle sequels.

Notice how X-2, XII-2, and XIII-2 all sucked and were all directed by him?
#8Devilman_AmonPosted 4/18/2013 9:23:41 AM
Motomu means more of nothing(moto = more Mu = nothing)
Toriyama means bird poo of death (Tori = bird. Yama = death demigod)
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#9TyrantLowKeyPosted 4/18/2013 10:21:12 AM
Nihilux posted...
As much as I hate FFX-2, it had the best battle system in a FF game yet . But I agree that there shouldn't be a sequel to a FF entry. Mostly because it's supposed to be a full experience in one game, a complete story in one game, a final fantasy.

Definitely agree there. I think even FFXIII-2's gameplay is better then the first one but that story (actually story and presentation on both games were just God awful). Still I enjoyed my one playthrough of FFX-2. It was fun. Still working up to FFXIII-2. Probably after Ni No Kuni.
---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Hearts Series, SMT: Nocturne, SMT DS OC (3DS), ToGF, TotA, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#10pokemon_45_79_1Posted 4/18/2013 10:24:52 AM
The old saying goes the sequel never as good as the original, problem with XIII-2 is its bad because SE tried to hard to please the fans and it didn't work for them, plain and simple.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.