This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Final Fantasy can't handle a sequel.

#21SightoPosted 4/19/2013 4:38:50 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Sighto posted...
When you try to hard to appeal to those who don't like you, you'll end up losing everyone in the process.
What they needed was to do was let go of XIII and release Versus XIII already and stop pumping $ into XIV.

fixed

The only thing that needs to get fixed around here is you.
My original statement stands.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#22digidevilwilPosted 4/19/2013 5:00:04 AM
The sequels have been for fun, they try out VERY different game ideas and story directions, which this series badly needs because the ps1 formula is outdated and both X-2 and XIII-2 have had some really powerful ideas.

X-2 had a fantastic battle system and for the first time in the series felt like it had more real side content/open play feel. XIII-2 also had a really strong battle system with the very deep monster system that unfortunately gets underutilized because of the poor difficulty balance. These games are both really good, honestly my favorite of the series, because they are not boring predictable experiences like the other games, they bring a lot of updated, more modern, and fresh ideas to the table.
---
PSN: PandaKingEX
#23Keroro_2350(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 9:23:59 AM
digidevilwil posted...
The sequels have been for fun, they try out VERY different game ideas and story directions, which this series badly needs because the ps1 formula is outdated and both X-2 and XIII-2 have had some really powerful ideas.

X-2 had a fantastic battle system and for the first time in the series felt like it had more real side content/open play feel. XIII-2 also had a really strong battle system with the very deep monster system that unfortunately gets underutilized because of the poor difficulty balance. These games are both really good, honestly my favorite of the series, because they are not boring predictable experiences like the other games, they bring a lot of updated, more modern, and fresh ideas to the table.

Right, both FF sequels have great battle system but they really lack of character selection, it gets boring since you have to use the same old characters for the whole game,if they brings those prequels character back into their sequels it might been better instead of having them as useless NPC I mean c'mon, they defeated the evil that tried to take over the world which is not easy, so why not having them join the battle in the sequels, right ?
#24ChronodragoonPosted 4/19/2013 11:34:06 AM
"Look at Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy XIII-2,both of these games are really bad compared to the originals one. In both Final Fantasy X and XIII, they have great story and characters, but when it comes to the sequels everything that is great in their originals change. "

That's funny, because almost the entirety of FFXIII-2's plot is dedicated to fixing the illogical mess that is FFXIII's ending, or at the very least providing an explanation for it and resulting consequences, which is a welcome change after FFXIII undermined it's entire premise for the sake of a nonsensical ending where most of the heroes somehow survive.
#25digidevilwilPosted 4/19/2013 12:54:46 PM
Keroro_2350 posted...
digidevilwil posted...

Right, both FF sequels have great battle system but they really lack of character selection, it gets boring since you have to use the same old characters for the whole game,if they brings those prequels character back into their sequels it might been better instead of having them as useless NPC I mean c'mon, they defeated the evil that tried to take over the world which is not easy, so why not having them join the battle in the sequels, right ?

There are a million games that only ever let you control 1 character and that never compromises the experience. It's not a factor that bothers me, because these games with smaller character rosters end up having significantly deeper gameplay and customization, that is what will stop me from getting bored.

I don't go back to other FF games because I say, wow, the gameplay is just that much fun, but I played the hell out of X-2 for years, and I still play XIII-2 to this day since release doing different challenges/speed runs/etc. I am beyond excited for Lightning Returns, because this sounds like it's going to have the strongest customization yet, and the style change aspect is really awesome in how it will shift equipment as well, not just abilities.

I will say that Type-0 had a large and beautiful roster to play with, but that game is on a whole other scale and had the convenience of being on lesser hardware, which meant more time fleshing the game out instead of visuals.
---
PSN: PandaKingEX
#26AgitoXIIIPosted 4/19/2013 12:58:51 PM
I stopped reading at the "character selection" part. The sequels aren't really meant to be as epic as the originals. There side games. Tho that doesn't mean they have to be bad..

I personally think X-2 is alright while XIII-2 is a complete trainwreck of a FF game even for a sequel.
---
FINAL FANTASY XV
Please be a great game, we need you to be one.
#27Keroro_2350(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 8:51:17 PM
AgitoXIII posted...
I stopped reading at the "character selection" part. The sequels aren't really meant to be as epic as the originals. There side games. Tho that doesn't mean they have to be bad..

I personally think X-2 is alright while XIII-2 is a complete trainwreck of a FF game even for a sequel.

X-2 do have some reply value despite its not as good as its original because its side quest are sometimes really fun but XIII-2 side quest are BS,capture every monster in the world and 100% map explore its annoying is hell.

But in my opinion, character selection really plays an important part in every Final Fantasy,traveling together in a group and having conversation are really great instead of taking to the same old Serah, Noel and A Mog. X-2 is really better since they Interact with many people so its not as bad as XIII-2
#28thisranksPosted 4/20/2013 9:17:43 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Motomu means more of nothing(moto = more Mu = nothing)
Toriyama means bird poo of death (Tori = bird. Yama = death demigod)

Even though i disagree this sure put a smile on my face. If you ever read Lord of Light you'd understand why ...

As for the topic, i actually somewhat agree with this poster's previous post and his/her "what if" description of FFX-2 and FXIII-2. The problem is some people like what if scenarios. You can't believe that some people aren't questioning what happens at the end of any game that doesn't have a definitive ending. Even with definitive endings some people aren't happy.

That said, i own both the direct sequels to FFX and FFXIII and enjoyed them. Whether you like either game or not they turned the "what if" into something interesting enough for some of us. I think some people seriously expect all games to go out of there way to please them. Sadly that's not the way gaming works.

You just didn't get the game you wanted...
---
She blinded me with region ....
Yuki Nagato, Mafuyu Oribe, Kurumu Korono, and Himari Noihara FTW
#29Soul_of_ManaPosted 4/20/2013 9:26:43 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed XIII-2, thinking it was a rather large improvement over XIII, despite the fact I was one of the few who really liked XIII.

I've always been a big fan of X-2. The combat is simply excellent, the faction you chose gave you two different stories, making a subsequent playthrough something different, and the job classes were much appreciated. I may be a bit biased though, as I am a big fan of job classes.

Also, I absolutely adore Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.

I have yet to play an FF sequel I haven't liked.
---
http://backloggery.com/soul_of_mana
The Winds of Change are stirring.
#30KnightTanis2290Posted 4/21/2013 12:06:01 AM
What I find funny..."The ps1 formula is outdated..." yet the most divisive games in the franchise other than sequels and mmos are 12 and 13, which moved away from traditional turn based to more action turn based. And how rpgs are so formulaic and don't evolve...when almost EVERY JRPG this gen on a console has been either strategy/long combo based, or action real time based..and still have failed. Eternal Sonata, White Knight Chronicles, Tales series, Final Fantasy 13, 13-2, etc.
---
Tanthalus Leth Gunthar
www.youtube.com/TanthalusGunthar