This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So how do people deal with a ridiculous backlog of video games?

#1PurificationPosted 4/18/2013 11:39:23 PM
I'm not kidding when I say it'll take me several years to get through all the games I have and want to play. Problem here is that I take a ridiculously long time to go through a game...I only play RPG's and it takes me on average of 50 hours (at best) to 120 hours to beat a game.

After counting up all the games I have that I want to play for the PS 1-3, 360, DS/3DS, PSP/Vita, Gamecube/Wii, and PC....I have literally over 200 games I want to go through....and my average play time for each will most likely be roughly 70-80 hours per game.

Anyone else find themselves in this dilemma?
---
The Judge, Jury, and Executioner
#2kcypher2000Posted 4/18/2013 11:44:37 PM
I am sure your Vita really contributed to your back log. I am being sarcastic by the way because that system is just so sad right now.
#3CloudisthebestPosted 4/18/2013 11:49:13 PM
I'm somewhat in the same dilemma. In all honesty, if I were you I would trade I'm or sell some of those games now while they still have a little value. Maybe 10 or so.

Also, unless you don't have a job, spend all the time outside of taking care of important responsibilities to play. Out of work? Turn on a console. Waiting for laundry? Pick up a handheld. You gotta get in the habit of playing at least a few hours a day, that will help a lot.
---
'03 Mustang GT- Flowmaster exhaust, Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors, strut tower brace, k-member brace...
PSN: officersweetpant
#4immortaltech6Posted 4/18/2013 11:58:11 PM
You really gotta ask yourself which of those games you truly want to play. There aren't THAT many great games imo, and life is too short to spend playing all the ones other people think qualify. Make your own judgments and choose wisely.
#5PurelyDivinePosted 4/19/2013 12:04:29 AM
I do it in multiple ways.

1. Play all the short ones first.

2. Go on a gaming binge.

3. Just play games all the way through to the end without doing any side quests/missions.

4. Play multiple games at a time. If you have handheld games, play them while you are away from home (or in the bathroom), and play console games when you are actually at home.

5. Sleep less, game more.
---
I love Deidara. She's so hot - photobucket.com/albums/m560/theblaz1/DEIDARA.jpg
I love Cloud. She's so hot - photobucket.com/albums/m560/theblaz1/CLOUD.jpg
#6MwarriorHieiPosted 4/19/2013 12:22:45 AM
i deal with it by buying more games
---
http://i.imgur.com/TQEciMP.jpg
#7Purification(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 12:28:40 AM
Well...funny thing is...the 200 or so games ARE the quality ones I want to play...either because (from gameplay videos and reviews) they have a specific type of setting/story style that I know I would probably enjoy...or that they are part of a series I enjoy. If I were to try to cut out some more games...160's probably the lowest I can do, since roughly 160 of those games are must-plays for me.

I've already cut out about 200 other games, since I started with around 400. It may seem like a lot but keep in mind that these are games that span multiple generations (I didn't mention it but I have a few games from even the SNES era I haven't gotten to yet, namely some of the older Fire Emblem games).

As for ignoring side-quests...I just can't seem to do it...I seem to have an OCD for completing stuff. For example...in one of the JRPGs I've played...I literally CHOSE to fall into every single pitfall trap ...which took an extra hour in comparison to if I just ran through, which would have taken me 10 minutes. I fell into each trap because it would then be marked on my map (I have this issue with getting a perfect map in each area). That and I get really into the story/atmosphere so I always take my time enjoying the scenery...and just walking around town (heck, in Skyrim, I could spend hours roaming around Whiterun roleplaying as Thane, and living life).

I also read extremely slowly....a dialogue scene that would take a normal gamer 5 minutes to read would take me 15 minutes because I always stop and ponder over each line...thinking about whether there is any ulterior motive behind what he/she just said...and also how it fits into the big picture. I also read slowly because I like to analyze and think about what a character said...because it can give away so much about a character's personality. I'm the type of reader that would read a line in a novel...then re-read it a few times...then think about it. Then read the next few lines...then think about how they all fit, and go back and re-read that first line. This is what I do in video games...
---
The Judge, Jury, and Executioner
#8yohabrohaPosted 4/19/2013 12:32:30 AM
For some reason I like you TC
---
PS3/XBL/SteamID: WillHungIs1337.
#9Ace_DefectivePosted 4/19/2013 12:36:13 AM
Purification posted...
Well...funny thing is...the 200 or so games ARE the quality ones I want to play...either because (from gameplay videos and reviews) they have a specific type of setting/story style that I know I would probably enjoy...or that they are part of a series I enjoy. If I were to try to cut out some more games...160's probably the lowest I can do, since roughly 160 of those games are must-plays for me.

I've already cut out about 200 other games, since I started with around 400. It may seem like a lot but keep in mind that these are games that span multiple generations (I didn't mention it but I have a few games from even the SNES era I haven't gotten to yet, namely some of the older Fire Emblem games).

As for ignoring side-quests...I just can't seem to do it...I seem to have an OCD for completing stuff. For example...in one of the JRPGs I've played...I literally CHOSE to fall into every single pitfall trap ...which took an extra hour in comparison to if I just ran through, which would have taken me 10 minutes. I fell into each trap because it would then be marked on my map (I have this issue with getting a perfect map in each area). That and I get really into the story/atmosphere so I always take my time enjoying the scenery...and just walking around town (heck, in Skyrim, I could spend hours roaming around Whiterun roleplaying as Thane, and living life).

I also read extremely slowly....a dialogue scene that would take a normal gamer 5 minutes to read would take me 15 minutes because I always stop and ponder over each line...thinking about whether there is any ulterior motive behind what he/she just said...and also how it fits into the big picture. I also read slowly because I like to analyze and think about what a character said...because it can give away so much about a character's personality. I'm the type of reader that would read a line in a novel...then re-read it a few times...then think about it. Then read the next few lines...then think about how they all fit, and go back and re-read that first line. This is what I do in video games...

Aside the fact that you have 200 games to play, are you...me?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tAjKHgxrJQ <3
Forever hoping for a sequel. Please make it happen, tri-Ace.
#10Junpei_StupeiPosted 4/19/2013 12:37:57 AM
I was in that dilemma, but I solved that problem by throwing out all of the Western games I own, and playing only the good ones.

It's true. I threw out True Crime: New York and a bunch of other games with bad-looking characters, and I was left with less than 10 PS2 games to finish.

---
I think I bought the wrong console this gen.