This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Jim Sterling tells the cold hard truth on game budgeting.

#1JahkeemyorkPosted 4/19/2013 7:09:06 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7121-Dark-Souls-and-Dark-Sales

Quotes from Neogaf

"Dark Souls can't be compared to Tomb Raider I'm told, because Dark Souls didn't have to pay Hollywood actors or build a brand new engine---but neither did Tomb Raider. I'm sick and tired of being told that AAA games are being forced as if by invisible gunpoint to invest decadent amounts of money in their games to the point where they need to sell more copies than reality itself is capable of providing. That's not a defense, that's just bad, bad, terribly bad, bad, and terribly bad business."

"See what happens when you don't blindly pump so much cash into a project, you don't need to bend reality to make more than your money back? Good things happen!"

"There's a reason why From Software is pleased and Capcom and Square-Enix are kicking their bedroom walls like spoiled brats. Obviously, Dark Souls didn't cost as much to make. I mean---Resident Evil 6 had a dev team of six-hundred. Tomb Raider had to pay for extravagant hair physics and Hollywood actors."

"It was made in the real world, sensibly. It knew its audience, knew what to expect, and clearly budgeted accordingly. It made as many copies as it could sell and was thrilled to sell what it did. And it's not like Dark Souls looks or plays like ****. It looks gorgeous in fact and plays incredibly well. For Dark Souls to look as good as it does, play as tight as it does, and be happy with the sales it got? There's actually no excuse for the rest of the game industry."

"Nobody's forcing publishers to sink ridiculous amounts of cash into projects. Most of the audience doesn't care about high ****ing graphics and brand new engines. They just don't, no matter what Crytek tells you."
#2SigmaHacielPosted 4/19/2013 7:10:11 AM
inb4 all the Sterling haters.

I'm glad he is right tho. He needs to be right more often.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#3DemonDog666Posted 4/19/2013 7:12:37 AM
This is what I've been saying, the companies that can actually budget are doing fine, the ones that think pumping an insane amount of money into a game long past the point of diminishing returns end up losing money. That's not to say people don't appreciate better graphics or a new engine, but make sure it's worth the price you are paying.
#4Erick DamonPosted 4/19/2013 7:15:57 AM
It is good that someone in the industry finally said this. The money they are pouring into these AAA games and expecting to do Call of Duty numbers is ridiculous. If you sell over a million copies and don't profit something is wrong with how you do business.
#5PhaseSlaethePosted 4/19/2013 7:16:15 AM
Pretty much this -

If you are going to push 10-figures just to make and market your game, you are doing it WRONG.
#6Taran_McDohlPosted 4/19/2013 7:20:57 AM
I agree with what he said and I am glad he said it. I do not care about insane graphics nearly as much as I care about gameplay and story.
---
In every person there are 2 dogs fighting...one Good and one Evil. The one that wins is the one you feed the most.
PSN: Taran_Omega / Steam ID: tpanciera
#7KenauePosted 4/19/2013 7:40:21 AM
Jim Sterling actually said something right? And it was without the attempt to be a troll? Well damn, world really is ending.
---
Now Playing: Terraria (PS3), P3:FES (PS2), Bioshock Infinite (PS3), Black Ops 2 (Wii U)
PSN: Lord_CBH / Live: LordCBH / Nintendo Network: LordCBH
#8Rob_the_NinjaPosted 4/19/2013 7:42:44 AM
Kenaue posted...
Jim Sterling actually said something right? And it was without the attempt to be a troll? Well damn, world really is ending.

I don't really care about his reviews, but his Jimquisition videos are great.
---
http://i.minus.com/jix4vTBdryDvN.jpg
#9THE gamefreak 212Posted 4/19/2013 7:44:36 AM
I don't really care about his reviews, but his Jimquisition videos are great.

Pretty much how I feel. And I don't always agree with what he says in the videos, but I tend to more often than not.
---
"The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
It's Heaven And Hell!" Black Sabbath- Heaven And Hell
#10656stoogePosted 4/19/2013 7:53:28 AM
I've been saying and thinking this all gen. Lookat the budget for Tales of Vesperia and Compare that to Final Fantasy XIII's. I'd take the 'lesser' Tales over FF any day of the week.

Nice graphics are nice, but at the expense of everything else? Hell no.
---
How to treat a woman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syRQ7iShpzY