This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What Will Save Final Fantasy

#21CronoGuyverPosted 4/19/2013 12:37:24 PM
You cannot save Final fantasy... it is final and if you mess it up its game over. Square should have done as they said they would. If Final Fantasy flops they will dissolve the company, so why are they will here?
---
Those who come with a sword, will die by the sword.
#22majin nemesisPosted 4/19/2013 12:42:10 PM
Arn544 posted...
They're nearly bankrupt dude, that's not doing as good as ever.

Each non offline title since 7 has made less than it's predecessor, it's more than just copies sold. It's game copies sold divided by consoles sold.

FF7 = 10%
FF8 = 8%
FF9 = 5.3%
FF10 = 5.3%
FF12 = 3.6%
FF13= 4.2% but lifetime console sales will drop it as low as 3.3% when this gen they go out of production.

what consoles? square doesn't have consoles
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#23Arn544(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 12:43:37 PM(edited)
^I mean when the 360/Ps3 lifetime sales are in, right now FF13 has a higher % than 12 but those consoles are likely going to sell 10s of millions more.

A lot of people don't comprehend how much FF has fallen, let's put it this way.

If you adjust FF7's sales to modern console sales, FF7 was more successful than Skyrim.
It would have sold 18-20 million copies if it had been created this gen, even FF8 roughly matched Skyrim's success.
#24pokemon_45_79_1Posted 4/19/2013 12:43:39 PM
Also tc don't let the SE defenders deter you, you make some sense.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#25RybalPosted 4/19/2013 12:44:30 PM
No Final Fantasy has sold more than 10 million copies. VII was the closest at 9.8M, but then the numbers decreased for 8 and 9, then going back up to 6.6M for 10. FFXIII was the fourth highest selling FF game period, and they did it in a time with a lower install base for the hardware. Barring systems and accessories, FFXIII was the 17th best seller in video games in 2010 on Amazon (used primarily in the US), despite having come out in 2009. I don't think that they are worried about the sales of Final Fantasy overall.

What Square has attempted to do from the very beginning is to innovate. They try different things to see what works and what doesn't. For me, that is a big enough reason for me to buy their FF games. To me, each one is different, which gives me a reason to try it out.

The reason that COD and other FPS games sell so many copies is NOT because they are better games, but because they inherently appeal to the competitive mindset of the American gamer with their online multiplayer.

The key to a truly successful next-gen game comes down to two things: story and freedom. Finding a balance between progressing the story and exploration is going to be difficult. On one side, you have XIII, which was focused on story so much that people frequently didn't make it all the way through because there was nothing else they could do - no side quests or exploration. On the other hand, you have games like Skyrim and Fallout, where you may never touch the main storyline after a point and may forget what happened in the mean time.

What I'd love to see is this:

Open world to be explored.
Lots of side quests.
Large ensemble cast (like in FFVI, preferably) - uniqueness is better than carbon copies (my biggest issue with VII, VIII, X, XII - everyone was the same by the end)
Strong, cohesive story, with the ability to watch previous cutscenes. If they made it so that the cutscenes played through like an actual movie, that would be somewhat amazing as well.

I may be weird, but I liked several things about XIII. I liked the fact that, even once you had maxed out each characters chrysarium, they were still different from each other, which would encourage you to use different combinations of characters depending on what you were looking for. I love having a reason to choose one character over another because of what they bring to the table rather than what they look like or whether I "like" them better.
#26majin nemesisPosted 4/19/2013 12:46:41 PM
Arn544 posted...
^I mean when the 360/Ps3 lifetime sales are in, right now FF13 has a higher % than 12 but those consoles are likely going to sell 10s of millions more.

If you adjust FF7's sales to modern console sales, FF7 was more successful than Skyrim.
It would have sold 18-20 million copies if it had been created this gen, even FF8 roughly matched Skyrim's success.

if FFVII had been created this gen it would only sold half of what it did back then because JRPGs are not popular these days
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#27justchill433Posted 4/19/2013 12:48:37 PM
What they don't need:

ADB combat - It doesn't work, I respect they feel the need to give the series a new battle system but you can't replace something just for the sake of replacing, you have to have something better. Not to mention it's supposed to be a turn based series, it's what makes FF what it is, if I wanted a system like the ADB I'd play Dragon Age.

Smaller Budget- Wada said there would be no more big projects. This is a huge mistake. Recent titles have not been lackluster because they spent too much money but because they spent too little money.

Say a world map had cost them 100mil$ extra in FF13, that would have removed the linearity complaint and SE would have made every dime of that back in sales because the game would have been better received and then it would have returned in 13-2 and 3.

Another anime story - This is a huge problem with reaching out to foreign markets, western/european gamers *will not* buy anime by the 10s of millions ever unless it's for children. You can point to examples of success anime has had in the west but notice they're all titles marketed at children.

Can you name the anime targeted for the 18+ men (gaming's biggest demographic) that had the most success in the west? I've certainly never heard of one that caught on like wildfire.

Can you name the most successful anime movie to ever be in theaters? How long ago was it in theaters? How well did anime movies do in theaters last year?

I respect some people love it, the bulk of the market doesn't. Modern Warfare 3 sold 30 million copies, Final Fantasy won't ever break 10 million again unless they go back to the hollywood model some of their previous titles had.

If 18+ men can't talk about it with their friends it will not do well. Every story that came after FF9 (FFX+) has embarrassed me to the point (watching it by myself) I'd never recommend it to a friend.

Racism The biggest problem probably lies with SE's total disrespect towards foreigners that it has developed. Pre merger Final Fantasy always used English actors with Japanese dubs/subtitles, why? English is the most poetic language and it sounded better. And look at FF7, countless characters were originally based off Americans (like each person of the Shinra) all changed to Japanese people for no reason other than the obvious one - they dislike foreigners.

So much wrong in this post. Final Fantasy does not need to be a turn based series. Versus looks awesome and it's an ARPG. Do you realize how stupid you sound when you say $100 million is nothing? Clearly, you do not know anything about economics, because having a much higher budget would not make much of a difference in sales. As for anime, Cowboy Bebop caught on like wildfire and has been a huge hit with the 18+ crowd and received multiple awards in the US. Princess Mononoke is one of the highest rated films even in the US and has multiple awards for best film. FF13's story was made to appeal to westerners and not be so animeish and it is by far one of the worst in the series. If anything the early stories were much more anime like. Clearly, you don't watch anime if you think that anime is only kids shows like dragonball. Finally, FF is not racist. That's one of the most ridiculous claims I've heard. SE has been trying to appeal more to westerner's and this new shift in direction has been an effort to westernize FF. You know why a lot of their characters are Japanese? Because that's who's making these games. Western games are predominantly made by white people so 90% of these characters are white. If anything the US dislikes foreigners just as much.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#28RybalPosted 4/19/2013 12:50:38 PM
Arn544 posted...

But you also have to look at it compared to what came before. If you look at the graphical jump from the SNES to PSX, you have something HUGE. Add to the fact that there are many more options for gaming now than there was then, and those numbers shouldn't surprise you.

The simple fact is that FF is the only series really keeping SE afloat. What they are doing still works.
#29pokemon_45_79_1Posted 4/19/2013 12:52:04 PM
Arn544 posted...

But you also have to look at it compared to what came before. If you look at the graphical jump from the SNES to PSX, you have something HUGE. Add to the fact that there are many more options for gaming now than there was then, and those numbers shouldn't surprise you.

The simple fact is that FF is the only series really keeping SE afloat. What they are doing still works.

FF isn't keeping the company afloat its eidos doing that, actually FF has hurt them more then help them especially this gen.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#30kingofjamaicaPosted 4/19/2013 12:52:54 PM
No Final Fantasy has sold more than 10 million copies. VII was the closest at 9.8M

That doesn't include PSN sales if I recall, pushing it well over 10 million.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.