This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I upgrade my Wireless Router?

#1MarblesbunbunPosted 4/19/2013 12:59:48 PM
Ok, just moved into a new house and wondering if I should upgrade/update my Wireless Router. Currently I am using a Linksys E1500

We were thinking of upgrading to an ASUS RT-AC66U, but do we really need to?

We are currently running
4 PCs
1 Laptop
1 Tablet
1 Ipod
2 PS3s
2 360s
1 Wii
1 Wii U
2 3DS
2 Vitas
1 DS
1 Roku Box
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2CrimsonGear80Posted 4/19/2013 1:08:40 PM
If your router still works fine then there should be no need to upgrade.
---
Glad DmC shipped a million copies and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#3RafedxPosted 4/19/2013 1:10:59 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
Ok, just moved into a new house and wondering if I should upgrade/update my Wireless Router. Currently I am using a Linksys E1500

We are currently running
4 PCs
1 Laptop
1 Tablet
1 Ipod
2 PS3s
2 360s
1 Wii
1 Wii U
2 3DS
2 Vitas
1 DS
1 Roku Box

I hope you at least have the PC's, 360's and PS3's hard wired, that will save you a lot of aggravation as wireless bogs down the more devices you have pulling from it. Plus if you have more than 10meg (20 or higher) Inet most of the lower end routers will only actually spit out 10 or lower over wireless. Actiontec routers are terrible for that single reason and need the devices to be hardwired.

I don't know anything about the ASUS router.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#4DonomegaPosted 4/19/2013 1:12:51 PM
I don't think you need to upgrade, if everything is working fine with that router.

and I know you made this post to show off your stuff ;)
---
PSN: RobbieDaCool | Wii U: RobDaCool | 3DS: 0903-4184-6816
http://i.imgur.com/j77KCo6.png
#5agrissaPosted 4/19/2013 1:16:46 PM
All those device aren't online all at the same time, are they? If not then you should be fine.
---
DMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DmC
#6Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 1:28:12 PM
Rafedx posted...
Marblesbunbun posted...

We are currently running
4 PCs
1 Laptop
1 Tablet
1 Ipod
2 PS3s
2 360s
1 Wii
1 Wii U
2 3DS
2 Vitas
1 DS
1 Roku Box

I hope you at least have the PC's, 360's and PS3's hard wired, that will save you a lot of aggravation as wireless bogs down the more devices you have pulling from it. Plus if you have more than 10meg (20 or higher) Inet most of the lower end routers will only actually spit out 10 or lower over wireless. Actiontec routers are terrible for that single reason and need the devices to be hardwired.

Only the 2 pcs, 1 PS3 and 1 360 are currently connected physically since it has 4 slots.
The rest are all wireless.

Most on at 1 time are the 2 pcs (almost always on) and at least 1 console.. usually 2 depending on what we are doing.

We're upgrading to 30Mbps on Tuesday.

The ASUS Router is the #1 Rated router in the world, and there is a Best Buy exclusive RT-AC66R which has slightly newer hardware.. but would cost $10 more + Tax unlike amazon.

Donomega posted...
I don't think you need to upgrade, if everything is working fine with that router.

Not really, that's just everything my roommate and I own between the two of us and wanted to make sure the router can handle it. As I said only 4 things max at a time....
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#7RafedxPosted 4/19/2013 1:31:38 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
Rafedx posted...
Marblesbunbun posted...

We are currently running
4 PCs
1 Laptop
1 Tablet
1 Ipod
2 PS3s
2 360s
1 Wii
1 Wii U
2 3DS
2 Vitas
1 DS
1 Roku Box

Only the 2 pcs, 1 PS3 and 1 360 are currently connected physically since it has 4 slots.

Most on at 1 time are the 2 pcs (almost always on) and at least 1 console.. usually 2 depending on what we are doing.

The ASUS Router is the #1 Rated router in the world, and there is a Best Buy exclusive RT-AC66R which has slightly newer hardware.. but would cost $10 more + Tax unlike amazon.

Donomega posted...

Not really, that's just everything my roommate and I own between the two of us and wanted to make sure the router can handle it. As I said only 4 things max at a time....

Get the new router, sounds like it will at least handle the wireless output better than a linksys. I would also advise on possibly getting a switch so you can wire more machines. If you have people watching netflix or streaming anything, and you want to play a game and are doing it over wireless you will still take a drop.

I am not sure how good the wireless is in the ASUS so who knows maybe it will handle multiple machines better. I just swear by hard wiring devices as I do it all the time for everything. lol
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#8Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 7:03:26 PM
Rafedx posted...
Marblesbunbun posted...
Rafedx posted...
Marblesbunbun posted...

We are currently running
4 PCs
1 Laptop
1 Tablet
1 Ipod
2 PS3s
2 360s
1 Wii
1 Wii U
2 3DS
2 Vitas
1 DS
1 Roku Box

Donomega posted...

Get the new router, sounds like it will at least handle the wireless output better than a linksys. I would also advise on possibly getting a switch so you can wire more machines. If you have people watching netflix or streaming anything, and you want to play a game and are doing it over wireless you will still take a drop.

I am not sure how good the wireless is in the ASUS so who knows maybe it will handle multiple machines better. I just swear by hard wiring devices as I do it all the time for everything. lol

The only problem I have with the E1500 is only 1 console has open NAT at a time, the others will be closed...
So I was looking for a newer router to fix this but I've been out of the market for a while.
---