This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do some people hate on trophies so much?

#61SmoshCuchPosted 4/20/2013 8:45:05 PM(edited)
PringerX posted...
It only took three posts here before someone complained that trophies have replaced "unlockables" and destroyed cheats. Meanwhile there are games that incorporate all these elements.

Just to be clear, I wasn't complaining. The topic is "why do some people hate...", not 'why do you personally hate...' I was relaying the reasons that I recalled seeing most often stated. As I said, I don't hate trophies. If you enjoy them, great.
And I know that there are games that incorporate trophies and unlockables together.

Even if one developer were to come out and say that they didn't include any "unlockables" in their game because they felt trophies were enough, that would just be one developer choosing their path. It wouldn't be the fault of trophies.

But even one is too many for those who enjoy unlockables and don't care for trophies. And yes, it is the fault of devs if they do that. But the existence of trophies gives them that out, so I get why people may wish that devs didn't have that excuse available to them.

The only real difference you could say is that with trophies, other people can see what you have or haven't done. So if someone truly does dislike trophies, that's what they're disliking.

Not necessarily. For example: someone posted that they feel that the little "Ding, you won a trophy" message can interrupt scenes and break immersion. It may seem like a trivial thing to you, but if the trophy system brings even a minor annoyance and gives that player nothing that they value in return, then it is understandable that they do not like the system.
#62SmoshCuchPosted 4/20/2013 8:42:05 PM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
You can use another person's save file. You just won't be able to get trophies.

Sounds fair to me.

The exception is games with Copy-Protected save files, which existed in PS2 Era too, and there are tons of games with trophies that are not Copy-Protected, and many games without trophies that are Copy-Protected.

I never ran into this in any PS2 games, but I'll take your word for it.

I haven't d/l'ed saves often, but I like the option, and don't want anything that interferes with it. My best example was Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. It had a remake of Rondo, plus the original Rondo and Symphony as unlockables. I had no interest in the remake, so I grabbed a save that had the other games unlocked. Call it cheating if you want, but I got to play what I wanted without having to play through something I wasn't interested in.

So, yes @SmoshCuch, you can have what you want.

Yay.
#63Syko_Darksyde(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 1:06:29 PM
sethharris1191 posted...
PringerX posted...
he considers them part of the game

There's nothing to "consider" there. I would love to see someone argue otherwise. Also, you will see that the reasons people come up with for supposedly not liking trophies are stupid or just don't make any sense. It only took three posts here before someone complained that trophies have replaced "unlockables" and destroyed cheats. Meanwhile there are games that incorporate all these elements. Even if one developer were to come out and say that they didn't include any "unlockables" in their game because they felt trophies were enough, that would just be one developer choosing their path. It wouldn't be the fault of trophies.

Let's face reality. Playing a PS2 game without any trophies is basically the same thing as playing a PS3 game with trophies. The only real difference you could say is that with trophies, other people can see what you have or haven't done. So if someone truly does dislike trophies, that's what they're disliking. And of course, that's just people being insecure. Otherwise there would be no reason to dislike or even care that someone else can see exactly what you've done or haven't done in your games. Anyone that actually likes video games won't have a problem with trophies, because everyone is playing their games to complete certain objectives. A game simply offering more objectives would never bother a gamer.

I don't like trophies simply because I don't need an imaginary reward system to keep my progress in a game. They add absolutely nothing for me in terms of replay value. I will either play a game or not play a game based on it's own merit, not because I want to earn a trophy and brag about it on a gaming forum. I have zero interest in comparing trophies with anyone, so why would I have a reason to feel insecure? I don't give a rat's ass who knows which games I had to play on easy, and I think that you must be insecure if you need a pretend trophy in your profile so that you can compare e-peens with your friends. I'm a grown-ass man, and I don't need validation from a game, my friends, or the Internet.

You sound angry. This is the type of hate I am talking.
---
Remember, if you find yourself alone riding through green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium. And you're already dead.
#64Taran_McDohlPosted 4/22/2013 1:38:59 PM
I do not hate them and do not care if other people love them.....I just honestly do not care about them. If I do or do not earn a trophy its not a big deal to me either way. More power to people that love them and get plats left and right. Do what is fun for u and enjoy the game how u see fit.
---
In every person there are 2 dogs fighting...one Good and one Evil. The one that wins is the one you feed the most.
PSN: Taran_Omega / Steam ID: tpanciera
#65ChaoticKnucklesPosted 4/22/2013 1:42:10 PM
QwelzaarKane posted...
Because they destroy immersion and remind me that this generation is full of half-witted sore losers.

What? What do trophies have to do with sore losers?
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#66ChaoticKnucklesPosted 4/22/2013 1:46:42 PM
sethharris1191 posted...
VIIVincent posted...
people hate Trophies? really?

Trophies dont affect gameplay whatsoever. people.

Then why do most people on this site refuse to play games from early in the PS3's life cycle before trophies were implemented?

Because those people are used to trophies and don't want to play a game that doesn't have them. It's just like people who refuse to watch old movies because they're spoiled by the movie making techniques of the present. It doesn't change the gameplay though. Trophies or lack thereof might make some people want to avoid a game but the trophies themselves don't affect the gameplay at all. And like many others have said, if you want to ignore them and just play the game without thinking about them you can. Which, like someone asked earlier, begs the question of why would you hate something that you can just ignore?
---
#67ChaoticKnucklesPosted 4/22/2013 1:53:25 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
How bout the trophies that you get for doing absolutely nothing but booting up the game lol lets see anyone try to defend those...

That only bothers you if you look at trophies as some sort of validation or measuring stick by which to compare yourself to other players. If you look at it that way then of course you'll hate that sort of trophy because you'll feel that someone is being praised or rewarded for doing something that doesn't deserve praise or reward. But if you just look at trophies as a list of obvious and maybe not so obvious objectives that the developer uses as incentive to get you to play the game in a maybe a different way than you ordinarily would, then it shouldn't bother you at all. You were going to boot up the game and play it anyway, correct? What does it matter if you get a trophy for it or not? Those trophies only bother people who attach some kind of status to earning trophies in the first place.
---
#68Bent 00Posted 4/22/2013 2:19:32 PM
Here's a relevant poll:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/65412124

And my opinion:

I 100% all of the games on my profile. My Trophy list is kinda like my resume; I only want it to include experience I'm proud of. To me, completing only 50% of a game feels like quitting a job midway through - not something to be proud of.

I used to enjoy going after Trophies, but now they mostly annoy me. If any of a games Trophies...

- Are ridiculously hard to get,
- Take a LOT of time to get,
- Are glitched or impossible to get,
- Require me to play online multiplayer, or
- Require buying overpriced DLC...

...but it's still a game I'd like to play, I'll just play it on a junk profile. It would be nice if I could just delete unwanted entries from my Trophy list instead, or simply disable Trophies for certain games.

Bad Trophies can turn gaming into work. I used to just play games for fun - now I've got a set of extra objectives (work) built into every game. If I don't finish one 100%, it mocks me silently. I know that no one else cares about the meaningless pixels in my Trophy list, but it nags at me anyway.
#69goldenboy1867Posted 4/22/2013 2:27:01 PM
Im even trying to get platinum on MGS4, one of the hardest. I love trophies.
---
are you saying i can run from a bullet
currently playing: Battlefield 3, Metal gear solid 4, Dead or alive 5,
#70cirkmetroidPosted 4/22/2013 2:42:40 PM(edited)
1: Game DESIGN has changed significantly for many genres as they pertain to trophies. Many people commonly say, "Trophies give me something to do in the game, so I get more replay value out of it." Well, there are a significant portion of games that have trophies that are OBVIOUSLY tacked on, and the in game requirements were present ONLY to give a trophy. I'll use the feathers in the Assassin's Creed games as an example. This is not adding "replay" value, it's just a complete waste of time.

I've brought this up before, and someone said, "I remember you saying in another thread that Mario 64 was awesome. That game has stars to collect, surely you got all of them!"
It's a hilarously funny point really, because the stars in the game were a requirement to unlock levels, and were obtained by completing a level in various ways, or doing various things within the level. *THAT* is replay value...collecting the stars in and of themselves has nothing to do with it.

Nowadays, most of the time people say, "Yeah I played that game, got the platinum, stopped playing it." Why? Did the game somehow become not fun? Truth is, for them, the answer is obviously YES.

2: There is no way to disable the notification from popping up, even if playing offline and you have system messages disabled.

3: On the PS3, there are many games that require the "installing trophy set" each and every time you load the game. I can understand this for older games where trophies might not have been part of the development cycle, but now that years have passed since trophies became a thing, it is STILL all too common.

4: If you're going to implement something that has NO VALUE to the gamer, at least do it well. Regardless of how you have the setting for online/offline, and even if your trophies have been synced with PS+, it still takes a really long time to sync trophies, and due to the seriously flawed nature of the PS3's XMB, most of the time when you start doing this, you can NOT interrupt this procedure to get back into your game if you need to.

5: For every person out there that is obsessed with their trophy score or the completion percentage of their games, there is another person out there who really hates that they can't hide specific games from a trophy comparison list. If you buy/rent/play a game that you instantly recognize that you hate, congratulations, everyone is going to know you played it.

6: It's obvious to everyone that Sony implemented trophies just to have something to compare to Xbox 360's game score. Good ideas should be copied, not stupid ones. No one cares about a gamer score, and *no one* cares about your trophy level either.

7: Trophy implementation has caused the majority of games using various forms of restrictions on backing up your game save. For some games, (Demon's/Dark Souls as an example) saves are locked as a manner of helping to mitigate cheating through duplicating items, (funny thing is, the game has its own internal cheats that allow this) or backing up the save before a boss fight so you don't have to replay portions of the game if you die. However, there are other games, especially single player games, where "cheating" is a complete NON-ISSUE because you can't interact with other players, that you still can't readily copy your game save unless you want to use PS+ or use the backup utility which takes FOREVER.

8: PS3 suffers from enough negative user experience issues as it is, doing trophies poorly is just another example of it.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
Really difficult games used to inspire us to become better at those games. Now...people just whine and complain. Such is the times.