This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My PS3 can't read the USB Flash Drive in NTFS format. What should I do?

#1rizegreymon33Posted 4/19/2013 8:13:05 PM
Hi there, I have a 6GB Transformers - Dark of the Moon movie and to transfer it into my 16GB Flash Drive, I had to format it into NTSF.

The problem is my PS3 doesn't recognize the NTSF format and only read my flash drive when the format is FAT32. What should I do? If I format the flash drive again into FAT32, then I won't be able to transfer the movie since the transfer capacity is limited at 4GB.
#2jrr18Posted 4/19/2013 8:18:56 PM
dance the dance of life!
---
Victory over the leprechaun werewolves through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#3fataliPosted 4/19/2013 8:25:49 PM(edited)
If you are using windows 7 or 8, you can share media files from the PC with the PS3, just go to the network settings and enable media sharing, disable the password for sharing, put the movie in the default "my videos" folder and it'll be available for the ps3 through the network.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#4calhoun1389Posted 4/19/2013 8:27:03 PM
Get a smaller copy of the movie? There are plenty of copies that are under 4GB yet still HD. Genuinely curious as to why it's 6GB... hoping it's not an MKV file because that wouldn't read anyway.
---
The thing about speculation is that it makes a spec out of you and some guy name Lation.. which has nothing to do with me. - Gregory House M.D.
#5StriderNemesisPosted 4/19/2013 8:38:41 PM
calhoun1389 posted...
Get a smaller copy of the movie? There are plenty of copies that are under 4GB yet still HD. Genuinely curious as to why it's 6GB... hoping it's not an MKV file because that wouldn't read anyway.

It does read MP4 files, which are practically the same, if you don't want subtitles or multiple audio tracks.

Also, 6GB is a perfectly viable size for a 720p movie with good quality, using H.264 compression.
#6SirWaWaPosted 4/19/2013 8:48:42 PM
StriderNemesis posted...
calhoun1389 posted...

It does read MP4 files, which are practically the same, if you don't want subtitles or multiple audio tracks.

Also, 6GB is a perfectly viable size for a 720p movie with good quality, using H.264 compression.

too bad ps3 can't read files bigger than 4GB
fat32 just can't do that, requires ntfs which ps3 can't read
#7StriderNemesisPosted 4/19/2013 9:11:57 PM
SirWaWa posted...
StriderNemesis posted...
calhoun1389 posted...

too bad ps3 can't read files bigger than 4GB
fat32 just can't do that, requires ntfs which ps3 can't read

I'm aware of that. I'm responding to a post outside of that context, though.
#8calhoun1389Posted 4/19/2013 9:18:38 PM
calhoun1389 posted...

>.> No, I don't believe 6GB for one film is reasonable at all considering most MKV Blu-Ray rips are 2-3GB with 4 being on the higher end. The only time it's acceptable is if it's not just the movie, but rather the menu, film, and all the bonus features. If this is the case, TC should just buy a blank Blu-Ray disc and burn it to the disc or just buying the movie since it's only like $15-20 now.
---
The thing about speculation is that it makes a spec out of you and some guy name Lation.. which has nothing to do with me. - Gregory House M.D.
#9War_FailPosted 4/19/2013 9:22:19 PM
Find a better rip (and a better movie).
---
RIP Mr. Hands June 22, 1960 - July 2, 2005
A true American hero
#10RyuuHou25Posted 4/19/2013 9:23:27 PM
Split the file into two, then you can transfer both onto the stick and leave it on FAT32. That's what I do.

Use mkv2vob to do so.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB