This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is 3D to blame for platformer popularity plummeting?

#1wigsplasherPosted 4/21/2013 6:05:34 PM
I'm talking about platformers moving into a 3D plane like Mario 64 and Jak & Daxter. It seems nowadays then everyone goes nuts for indie 2D sidescrollers more than they do for the 3D counterparts.
---
"You don't have a wife, that's a voice in your head." - mogar002
#2Killah PriestPosted 4/21/2013 6:09:02 PM
Personally I stopped enjoying platformers when they made the transition to 3d.

especially in the early years... it was pretty rough.

they've done a decent job fixing 3d platforming now tho, nowhere near as awkward as it was at first with things like ledge grabbing and stuff to facilitate inaccuracies.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3zyrax2301Posted 4/21/2013 6:12:51 PM
I don't know, I always preferred 3D platforming, but I don't recall many games that really featured it as a main device the way that 2D games do - it was usually implemented for navigation or puzzles while the main part of the game consisted of combat and exploration.

That's something that I miss, as most games these days don't even have a jump button, and if they do the platforming system is pretty much automated :(
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#4rswsc0407Posted 4/21/2013 6:13:00 PM
^I completely agree with you. I really lost interest in them around that same time.

I STILL don't see what the big deal with Mario 64 is, I think it's a terrible game.
---
Red Sox World Series Champions 2004 & 2007= My ID. PSN ID- rswsc0407
#5wigsplasher(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 6:15:11 PM
rswsc0407 posted...
^I completely agree with you. I really lost interest in them around that same time.

I STILL don't see what the big deal with Mario 64 is, I think it's a terrible game.

Never played Mario 64 but I've only heard good things. The last Nintendo system I owned was the NES but I played a lot of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark at friends' places.

I think I prefer 3D platformers whenever they have a huge open-world... Although I hear that Terraria is amazing.
---
"You don't have a wife, that's a voice in your head." - mogar002
#6gamemaster712Posted 4/21/2013 6:18:09 PM
No, tastes change.

Plus you haven't seen Banjo Kazooie before?
---
Lord of gaming!!! (probably)