This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What Happened to World War II Shooters?

#1ElBorak77Posted 4/21/2013 10:26:42 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/22/whatever-happened-to-world-war-ii-shooters?abthid=5174c83a0c84cb513a00000d

interesting article. i loved the original call of duty games and haven't played any modern ones. just finished world at war and really enjoyed it.
---
PSN El_Borak_77
STOP THE FPS ABUSE www.fpsaregamestoo.notarealwebsite
#2somebody336Posted 4/21/2013 10:51:38 PM
Back in the day the market was flooded with them. Made the setting boring and generic.
---
http://crabdom.cu.cc/forums/index.php
Fc: 0490-5171-0607
#3fadecaPosted 4/21/2013 10:53:25 PM(edited)
i remember people back then, people were complaining about a WWII video game fatigue, there was a new one like everyone month, i guess people got tired of them.
#4Elements012894Posted 4/21/2013 10:54:11 PM
With next gen rolling along. I'd really like to see at least one big budget gritty WW2 shooter.
---
PS+ has paid it's self for me. So from here on out I will refer to any new games as free.
#5Pinoy441Posted 4/21/2013 11:07:19 PM
Modern setting has replaced WWII setting

And now everyones gettin tired of modern shooters now

So now its probably gonna go into near future/future settings ala Black Ops II
---
*grabs popcorn*
#6ElBorak77(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 11:19:55 PM
what about vietnam or something?
---
PSN El_Borak_77
STOP THE FPS ABUSE www.fpsaregamestoo.notarealwebsite
#7Devilman_AmonPosted 4/21/2013 11:57:21 PM
The next setting will be at a nursery in a hospital. You are a baby firing your guns against other babys using the cribs as cover
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#8EoinPosted 4/21/2013 11:59:14 PM
In the past, WWII games were made for quite a few reasons:

- it's a familiar setting.
- WWII is very wide in scope, in terms of technology, settings, and plot.
- Despite the fact that many gamers got bored of WWII games quickly, most gamers only played one or two of them, and developers really only made one or two WWII games so there were always developers (and gamers) for whom the idea of a WWII game was new.
- the biggest-selling FPS games were, in general, set in WWII - Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Battlefield. For FPS developers thinking about a setting, WWII seemed like a safe choice.

Then all of those reasons became liabilities:

- people became over-familiar with the setting.
- The scope narrowed as games started covering everything, from France (including as French Resistance fighter, just to mix things up) to Italy to Russia to Norway to Germany to the Pacific to Egypt and so on, leaving fewer "new" settings within WWII.
- Developers got bored of WWII games and gamers got tired of them in significant numbers (a few years after people on games forums on the internet got tired of them).
- The biggest-selling games moved on, past WWII, meaning that it looked less like a safe choice. If you are a medium-sized developer wondering whether to set your new FPS game in WWII or not, you'll probably consider the possibility that there's a good reason why EA and Activision aren't using that as a setting.

ElBorak77 posted...
what about vietnam or something?

Every FPS or TPS game that tried to set itself in Vietnam suffered from bad reviews and/or low sales (usually both). It's possible that it's inherently not a fun setting. Think of the stereotypical Vietnam setting in terms of games - enemies are generally unseen, tunnels, traps....it'd be tiresome. (There's a lot more to the Vietnam War than that, obviously, but those things are what people would be expecting).
#9piazzapimper313Posted 4/22/2013 6:26:54 AM
call of duty 4

/thread
#10Chilly82Posted 4/22/2013 6:28:50 AM
Need more World War I.