This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In a few years, do you think people look back at the FF XIII saga and say...

#11LunarRoarPosted 4/22/2013 5:31:21 AM
musumane posted...
lambchips posted...
ffx is too linear to be considered great...

All FF's are linear as heck though, the world maps only made you THINK they weren't <_<;

This is pretty true, there's a severe lack of sidequests in the series so the most freedom you get is deciding how long you want to grind before eventually getting back on track and moving the plot forward. Having said that, complete elimination of the world map is a terrible move no matter which way it's spun.
---
http://backloggery.com/lunarroar
Official Abra of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#12Asd202Posted 4/22/2013 5:37:05 AM
Not me.
#13ZerobahnPosted 4/22/2013 5:40:33 AM
No...because XIII isn't actually that good. It got lambasted both critically and by the fans. The others you mentioned were recieved well in one way or another.
---
Factoring Hectopascals!!!
))<>((
#14TheTenth10Posted 4/22/2013 5:41:51 AM
I didn't absolutely hate FFXIII. I played over 30 hours before getting humiliated by Cid, first time 2 minutes, then 5 minutes then 28 minutes but still couldn't beat him.
With retrospect the game is an interactive movie. I fel that the time between cinematics and game play was very badly balanced. They could have done a trilogy with 3 2 hour movie instead of a game.
And the fighting is all super easy or insanely hard with nothing in between.
#15Rancid_SkankPosted 4/22/2013 5:46:17 AM
The XIII series of games has fixed most of the problems I had with X, X-2 and XII, but added a few new ones into the mix.

Still, best since IX.
---
GT: RancidSkank
PSN: Rancid_UK
#16DevilTears604Posted 4/22/2013 5:49:03 AM
Totally.

There's always a period of distance and perspective that comes with time with any entertainment product, where initial reaction and reflection aren't the same thing. Granted it doesn't always happen like that. Sometimes, you'll see a product and go, "Yeah that sucks," then five years later you'll say, "Yeah, still sucks." But that's not how it usually goes.

All I would point to is Zelda: Wind Waker as far as comparing initial reaction and long-term perspective.
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Dead Space 3, GoW: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V
#17Devilman_AmonPosted 4/22/2013 5:56:43 AM
RPG maniac87 posted...
I'm just glad FFXIII fixed all the problems with FFXII and got rid of the trash elements that were plaguing the series. FFXIII-2 reversed a lot of those fixes, but we've all seen how that was received sales-wise. It wasn't the FFXIII sequel everyone was hoping for.

Your logic is totally backwards.

FF sequels arent expected to sell as much as the originals. Especially when they're not made in the same time length or budget.

Next, 60% of FF XIII buyers did not buy XIII-2. Not because they didnt like XIII-2, but more likely that they were not happy with XIII to bother buying it's sequel.

Lastly, if streamlining the game to take away exploration, full party control, full towns, and a storyline where its fully told through the narrative instead of having to read datalog texts, all while being influenced by CoD is "removing trash elements", then you need to change your username to CoD Maniac87
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#18squall1981Posted 4/22/2013 6:43:00 AM
but ff13 isnt a good game, heck it isnt even an average game, time will not make that mess any better trust me
---
trolls and fanboys are the same just working on different ends of the spectrum.
#19PhaseSlaethePosted 4/22/2013 6:44:53 AM
If we actually had other FF titles on the PS3, nobody would care about 13.

13 is ALL the PS3 had for new FF.

And it still sucks. Nobody is going to look back and say "I was wrong".

Even if the games have some redeeming features, those features are tiny needles lost in the rectum of a Hep-C elephant.
#20BahamutBBobPosted 4/22/2013 6:51:15 AM
kkTheKiller42 posted...
I remember people back then saying that IX, X, and XII were one of the worst but skip to today and it's appearing on everyones favorites list.

I've never heard anyone hate on 9, and I am the only person I know that hates 10. In high school, everyone was all over FF8, 9, and 10.

Now, I may change my mind on FF10 if I re-played it, but it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I haven't been able to make myself.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob