This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In a few years, do you think people look back at the FF XIII saga and say...

#41plasticman13Posted 4/22/2013 6:17:23 PM
Going by SE's current track record, I think by next-gen people will do nothing but praise FFXIII.
---
For the latest news on Final Fantasy Versus XIII with interviews, e-mails, etc. with the development staff, please visit:
http://bit.ly/g917a5
#42king_maddenPosted 4/22/2013 6:26:13 PM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
king_madden posted...
and how many side games are there. we cant say this game is 2nd best out of poor performing games, so thats still good. fact remains if it was good, people would buy it

Around 15.
Not counting continuations to FINAL FANTASY XI because of its nature, and because we don't have concrete standalone sales figures (still lower than XIII-2 most likely).
Not counting the official continuations of Main installments in the form of Novellas, movies, Anime, books, manga/short episodes, minigames, etc.

now outside of x2 which is the main one i know of, what are the others, what console are they on
#43Devilman_AmonPosted 4/22/2013 6:31:55 PM(edited)
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...

And FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 is the #2 Best Selling FINAL FANTASY side game of all time.

Thats not saying much.

Honestly whats its competition? Dirge.....a sloppy 3rd person shooter? Crisis Core....on the struggling PSP? XII Revenant Wings....an RTS? After Years? Meh....

If XIII was as successful as fanboys like to think it is in terms or reception, then those buyers would have double dipped. People think the sales alone means everyone enjoyed FF XIII. Obviously that was not the case. It just means people ran out and bought it week one due to the massive hype, and lack of XIII-2's success is a reflection on the majority's bitter and vocal aftertaste of it..

So a sequel on a console should till pull in large numbers; especially a high profile one such as this with a big name backing it among a drought of AAA high budget RPGs this gen....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#44mad_hax_manPosted 4/22/2013 6:31:40 PM
I doubt it. Or at least, I doubt it will gain a massive boost in esteem in the same way IX and to a lesser extent XII, have. IX had a backlash because they came off VII (And VIII), which attracted a lot of new fans that didn't really know their way around the series. XII had its problems, but with the increase of console open world styled WRPG's, as well as the release of Xenoblade this generation, people are looking back at XII and approaching it in a different light.

The problem with XIII is, despite what strengths it has, its bad habits are the bad habits that have been seen throughout this generation, and are habits that the more hardcore gaming community (both fans and developers) are trying to shift the industry away from. Things like trying to appeal to CoD crowd, or the over use CGI/ FMV cutscenes, and the trite, JRPG stereotypes for characters.

IX and XII got a much stronger reception latter on because they were ahead of their times. XIII is currently hated because it is behind the times.
---
"Hey bridesmaid, love the beard! Give's me something to hang onto!!"- Lord Flasheart
#45Devilman_AmonPosted 4/22/2013 6:41:57 PM
mad_hax_man posted...

The problem with XIII is, despite what strengths it has, its bad habits are the bad habits that have been seen throughout this generation, and are habits that the more hardcore gaming community (both fans and developers) are trying to shift the industry away from. Things like trying to appeal to CoD crowd, or the over use CGI/ FMV cutscenes, and the trite, JRPG stereotypes for characters.

So true. When you look at this gen, it seems we traded HD high resolution graphics for gameplay and variety of options.

Everything seems cut down and streamlined in order to either fit the high budget, or appease to the ADD like mentality of many jaded gamers.
Call of Duty. (nuff said)
It's not wonder Toriyama admitted to being influenced by it.
Mass Effect. It's supposed to take place is space so where is the space exploration on the battlships? Why cant you control them?
Last Rebellion. Looked like a PSP game. VERY linear if not more so than XIII
Enchanted Arms. Playing it feels very much like FF XIII. Very straightforward not much else to do or explore.
Dragon Age II. I felt trapped in that small ass little city.
Neptunia series. Barely any towns.
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll. I actually liked this game; but compared to Zill O'll Infinite, which had actual explorable towns for a....PS1 game (remade for PS2/PSP) it had static 2D scenes for towns. Meh.
Kingdoms of Amalur. What was this crap..
Street Fighter X Tekken. Pay to win gems? Locked character roster? What kind of crap are you trying to pul Capcom??
Resident Evil 6. What the hell happened??
Ridge Racer Unbounded. See above question.
Megaman. Cancelled.
The list goes on...

Hopefully the newer consoles will open up possible new design methods and ideas and we can go back to how gaming was.
Certainly Evil Within looks promising as does that upcoming Monolith Soft Wii U RPG...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#46Spiroth_KweehhPosted 4/22/2013 7:06:23 PM(edited)
king_madden posted...
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
king_madden posted...
and how many side games are there. we cant say this game is 2nd best out of poor performing games, so thats still good. fact remains if it was good, people would buy it

Around 15.
Not counting continuations to FINAL FANTASY XI because of its nature, and because we don't have concrete standalone sales figures (still lower than XIII-2 most likely).
Not counting the official continuations of Main installments in the form of Novellas, movies, Anime, books, manga/short episodes, minigames, etc.

now outside of x2 which is the main one i know of, what are the others, what console are they on

-Dissidia [013]
-Dissidia [012] + Prologus + Official Quests
-The After Years + Interlude
-Before Crisis
-Crisis Core
-Dirge of Cerberus + Lost Episode
-X-2 + Last Mission
-Rise of the Zilart
-Chains of Promathia
-Treasures of Aht Urhgan
-Wings of the Goddess
-Seekers of Adoulin
-The 3 FINAL FANTASY XI Add-on Scenarios.
-Tactics: The War of the Lions
-Tactics Advance
-Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
-Vagrant Story
-Revenant Wings
-Crystal Defenders
-Crystal Defenders: Vanguard Storm
-XIII-2 + Coliseum DLC + Sazh DLC + Snow DLC + Lightning DLC
-Lightning Returns

As I said, without counting other continuations like [Novellas, movies, Anime, books, manga/short episodes, minigames, etc.], because we're talking only gaming continuations.

Continuations in FINAL FANTASY sell way lower than Main installments (with X-2 as a small paradox), and spinoffs sell even lower.

And just for fun:

Dive II Hunt: The Adventures of Sorbet

:p

---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#47dark trunksPosted 4/22/2013 6:48:33 PM
For a game to play over a summer, Final Fantasy XIII was not actually that bad. It was entertaining enough, and if anyone looks back on it, it should be for the that reason alone. Lets be honest, in terms of being linear, most of us already play games that force us down one path, so we can't really complain.

But when it comes to being a Final Fantasy, nobody should look back at it and claim it's a good entry. They should never have stuck the name Final Fantasy on the box.

XIII-2 was just as entertaining. Again, it should never have been a Final Fantasy. As far as I'm concerned this series may have worked better as its own thing. I'm expecting XIII-III to be just as entertaining, and a good time passer. But it's a pointless entry in a series they never needed to keep pushing on with. They should have stopped at XIII.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#48king_maddenPosted 4/22/2013 8:29:57 PM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
king_madden posted...
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
king_madden posted...

Around 15.

-Dissidia [013]
-Dissidia [012] + Prologus + Official Quests
-The After Years + Interlude
-Before Crisis
-Crisis Core
-Dirge of Cerberus + Lost Episode
-X-2 + Last Mission
-Rise of the Zilart
-Chains of Promathia
-Treasures of Aht Urhgan
-Wings of the Goddess
-Seekers of Adoulin
-The 3 FINAL FANTASY XI Add-on Scenarios.
-Tactics: The War of the Lions
-Tactics Advance
-Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
-Vagrant Story
-Revenant Wings
-Crystal Defenders
-Crystal Defenders: Vanguard Storm
-XIII-2 + Coliseum DLC + Sazh DLC + Snow DLC + Lightning DLC
-Lightning Returns

As I said, without counting other continuations like [Novellas, movies, Anime, books, manga/short episodes, minigames, etc.], because we're talking only gaming continuations.

Continuations in FINAL FANTASY sell way lower than Main installments (with X-2 as a small paradox), and spinoffs sell even lower.

And just for fun:

Dive II Hunt: The Adventures of Sorbet

:p

i honestly cant group any of that and compare it with 13-2, outside of x-2. most of them are on different consoles than the games they branched off of, there are games that came out years later and are on a different genre, and you have expansions, not even full games in there too.

FF13-2 is an rpg a full game and a close follow up of FF13, you cant say that with the majority of the games you listed, and shouldnt be grouped with those.
#49Video_Game_CzarPosted 4/22/2013 8:31:16 PM
FACT: "In a few years" those people won't even be gaming.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l XBL: VideoGameCzar l Steam: TheVideoGameCzar
#50kuterPosted 4/22/2013 8:32:34 PM
The only thing FF13 has different is the stagger system and no lvl-up, people over react when ever something new happens in a series, pretty much like the souls series, you show a new idea, and every one goes OH EM GEE HE DI'NT. YOU GONNA RUIN THE ATMOSPHERE ATMOSPHERE ATMOSPHERE ATMOSPHERE ATMOSPHERE ATMOSPHERE ATMOSPHERE Q.....Q YOUR SUPPOSE TO PLAY ALONE Q.Q.

Changes are fine.