This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In a few years, do you think people look back at the FF XIII saga and say...

#51RPG maniac87Posted 4/22/2013 7:34:22 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
So a sequel on a console should till pull in large numbers; especially a high profile one such as this with a big name backing it among a drought of AAA high budget RPGs this gen....

Not if the game sucks. People aren't a bunch of brainless monkeys, throwing their money at a game without knowing anything about it. As consumers we vote with our wallets. FFXIII-2 sold poorly because it couldn't compete with FFXIII.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#52bmagic3Posted 4/22/2013 8:37:57 PM
FF XIII-2 is golden in my book. One of the few rpg's I enjoyed this generation. it had a memorable villain and enough gameplay features to hold novelty (the pokemon type feature). My only complaint is Kupos annoying voice....
---
MGS3 "Snake Eater" Remix: http://youtu.be/39QY9PHTFHA
Mass Effect 3 "Earth" Remix: http://youtu.be/O8EGDPHls3U
#53voljin1987Posted 4/22/2013 9:02:07 PM
musumane posted...
lambchips posted...
ffx is too linear to be considered great...

All FF's are linear as heck though, the world maps only made you THINK they weren't <_<;

FF12 was very expansive and quite non-linear after a cartain point.. i spent hours upon hours just exploring the world of ivalice.
#54SabramPosted 4/23/2013 12:26:55 AM
I personally quite liked FF13 and FF13-2. I Do understand that the "streamlining" that a lot of people complain about did take away some of what had originally made the FF series so popular, but in the end what it seems to me was done with the series is take it back towards earlier games, where there was only ONE way to go to advance it, no matter how much you wanted to dink around in other areas.

Taking out the world map was a bit of a problem for me, but that's been gone since FF10, and TBH 10 is one of my favorites from the series, my others being 4 and 7.

I guess the real thing to do, as much as it sounds apologistic, is to not consider FF13 as a FF title, but just as another RPG. When you look at it that way the game doesn't seem to compare as badly as other RPGs released this generation, or even in the last couple years.

I can't remember what other game i made that comparison about, it may have even been the same game, but for it's own merits when judged just as an RPG by itself, it's actually rather good.

My favorite part of the game is the fact they spent a lot of time working on character development, and making each person in the plot have a distinctive personality, rather than just be "Black Mage #34" or what have you.
---
Official Switch Lightsword & Bowshieldgun of the MH3U Board.
Gamertag: Sabram PSN: Sabram
#55Spiroth_KweehhPosted 4/23/2013 12:40:14 AM
king_madden posted...
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
king_madden posted...
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
king_madden posted...
and how many side games are there. we cant say this game is 2nd best out of poor performing games, so thats still good. fact remains if it was good, people would buy it

Around 15.
Not counting continuations to FINAL FANTASY XI because of its nature, and because we don't have concrete standalone sales figures (still lower than XIII-2 most likely).
Not counting the official continuations of Main installments in the form of Novellas, movies, Anime, books, manga/short episodes, minigames, etc.

now outside of x2 which is the main one i know of, what are the others, what console are they on

-Dissidia [013]
-Dissidia [012] + Prologus + Official Quests
-The After Years + Interlude
-Before Crisis
-Crisis Core
-Dirge of Cerberus + Lost Episode
-X-2 + Last Mission
-Rise of the Zilart
-Chains of Promathia
-Treasures of Aht Urhgan
-Wings of the Goddess
-Seekers of Adoulin
-The 3 FINAL FANTASY XI Add-on Scenarios.
-Tactics: The War of the Lions
-Tactics Advance
-Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
-Vagrant Story
-Revenant Wings
-Crystal Defenders
-Crystal Defenders: Vanguard Storm
-XIII-2 + Coliseum DLC + Sazh DLC + Snow DLC + Lightning DLC
-Lightning Returns

As I said, without counting other continuations like [Novellas, movies, Anime, books, manga/short episodes, minigames, etc.], because we're talking only gaming continuations.

Continuations in FINAL FANTASY sell way lower than Main installments (with X-2 as a small paradox), and spinoffs sell even lower.

And just for fun:

Dive II Hunt: The Adventures of Sorbet

:p

i honestly cant group any of that and compare it with 13-2, outside of x-2. most of them are on different consoles than the games they branched off of, there are games that came out years later and are on a different genre, and you have expansions, not even full games in there too.

FF13-2 is an rpg a full game and a close follow up of FF13, you cant say that with the majority of the games you listed, and shouldnt be grouped with those.

What? No, it should.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 is a Side game to a Main FINAL FANTASY installment.
Main installments are grouped with Main installments, Side games are grouped with Side games, and Spinoffs are grouped with Spinoffs.

If FINAL FANTASY XV comes out on VITA, it's still a Main installment.
Take Dragon Quest i.e.

Dragon Quest IX, a Main installment, was released on DS.
As was the splendid Dragon Quest Monsters 2.

Dragon Quest IX sold Millions more than Dragon Quest Monsters 2.
People as masses generally care more about Main installments, then about continuations to Main installments, then about Spinoffs.
No matter where they are released.

If FINAL FANTASY XV was released exclusively on VITA, it would still have more sales than a future hypothetical FINAL FANTASY XV-2 on PS4.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#56king_maddenPosted 4/23/2013 9:25:54 AM
@Spiroth_Kweehh

if you are just "grouping" them then maybe I can understand, but when you are comparing sales, then you lose all comparisons. if a game is a ps1 rpg, but then is a ps2 shooter, that a different group of fans, a different demographic altogether. just like with dissidia, its a fighting game which will cater to fighting fans, you dont expect all your old fans to buy it. they loved an rpg, cant expect them to love a fighting game.

if you want to compare sells, the side game needs to be exactly what the main was, same genre, same console.
#57somberfoxPosted 4/23/2013 11:44:25 AM(edited)
Well, Final Fantasy 12 got crapped on like nothing else when it came out, but now it seems to be permanently stuck in the PS2's top 10 list here.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened with 13 as well.
#58kewldude475Posted 4/23/2013 11:51:18 AM
The FFXIII saga has been "ok" since XIII-2. But FFXIII was never a bad game in the first place.
---
PS3/Vita PSN: kewldude475; 3DS FC: 4253-3798-3218; Steam: kewldude475
#591-chomePosted 4/23/2013 1:37:27 PM
No.
---
Hadoken!
#60PhaseSlaethePosted 4/23/2013 1:38:02 PM
kewldude475 posted...
The FFXIII saga has been "ok" since XIII-2. But FFXIII was never a bad game in the first place.

Literally lying.