This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In a few years, do you think people look back at the FF XIII saga and say...

#61Spiroth_KweehhPosted 4/24/2013 3:27:49 AM
king_madden posted...
@Spiroth_Kweehh

if you are just "grouping" them then maybe I can understand, but when you are comparing sales, then you lose all comparisons. if a game is a ps1 rpg, but then is a ps2 shooter, that a different group of fans, a different demographic altogether. just like with dissidia, its a fighting game which will cater to fighting fans, you dont expect all your old fans to buy it. they loved an rpg, cant expect them to love a fighting game.

if you want to compare sells, the side game needs to be exactly what the main was, same genre, same console.

[Bold Part 1]
That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Main FINAL FANTASY installments, Side FINAL FANTASY installments, and Spinoffs are completely different demographics altogether.

Here are three examples:

1) Out of me and my four FINAL FANTASY buddies that have started playing FINAL FANTASY since years ago, only me cares about FINAL FANTASY as a whole, the other two care exclusively about Main installments post-VII, and the other one only about Main installments (entirety).
Most FINAL FANTASY fans are like these.

2) FINAL FANTASY Tactics was an amazing game. One of the best. Was released on PS1.
Yet it sold (awesome in reality) really low compared to Main installments.

3) Take today's situation.
Supposed FINAL FANTASY fans cry and cry about a classic FINAL FANTASY, Dimensions comes, The After Years comes, The 4 Heroes of Light comes, Type-0 comes, and all sell a tiny tiny tiny fraction of a Main installment, despite people supposedly not liking the Main installment's style (which was released on consoles with smaller sales), but liking the spinoffs' style (which were released on consoles with way bigger sales).

As for Dissidia, it's an Action RPG with some Fighting elements Tribute to FINAL FANTASY (series) and a continuation to FINAL FANTASY (installment).
I personally don't like Fighting genre at all, but Duodecim is my all-time favorite game alongside the original FINAL FANTASY (outside MGSaga).
Plus it can be played entirely as a Turn-Based RPG.

Then this cannot happen, as the only such instance is FINAL FANTASY XIII and FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, as all other continuations are on different consoles, different types of RPGs, different generations.
(Even Lightning Returns will be different, as was also FINAL FANTASY X-2 with its ATB).
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#62Spiroth_KweehhPosted 4/24/2013 3:28:23 AM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
kewldude475 posted...
The FFXIII saga has been "ok" since XIII-2. But FFXIII was never a bad game in the first place.

Literally lying.

How? lol. It's his opinion.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#63EmiliaTheSagePosted 4/24/2013 7:07:15 AM
As a general thumbrule of a game's graphics;

Next gen COD > previous titles
Next gen Final Fantasy > previous titles
Next gen Resident Evil > previous titles
---
"Women don't stay in the kitchen to make sandwiches."
#64xChaosLordxPosted 4/24/2013 7:13:15 AM
kkTheKiller42 posted...
It was actually ok ?

I remember people back then saying that IX, X, and XII were one of the worst but skip to today and it's appearing on everyones favorites list.

I'll leave the experts to explain why XIII was good or bad.

Personally XIII was one of my favorites along with V, VII, and X.

Other than FF2 (NES), FF XIII was the worst in the main series. And I played all the originals including the ones not localized, and most of the remakes(Skipped FF3 and FF4 for DS). Many of them I played multiple times.
#65chrombotPosted 4/24/2013 7:14:14 AM
musumane posted...
lambchips posted...
ffx is too linear to be considered great...

All FF's are linear as heck though, the world maps only made you THINK they weren't <_<;

indeed, people don't want complete and total freedom in video games, just the illusion of freedom. They want tot feel like they can go anywhere and do anything, even though the game only allows you to do one thing.
#66shinra35800Posted 4/24/2013 7:22:52 AM
XIII-2 probably will. But I don't see that happening with the original. The music just isn't top quality in the XIII series. Too much j-pop, not enough goosebump pop :P
#67PhaseSlaethePosted 4/24/2013 7:28:30 AM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
PhaseSlaethe posted...
kewldude475 posted...
The FFXIII saga has been "ok" since XIII-2. But FFXIII was never a bad game in the first place.

Literally lying.

How? lol. It's his opinion.

Never a bad game?

FF13 is OBJECTIVELY a bad game. You can't opinion-null that.
#68xChaosLordxPosted 4/24/2013 7:37:25 AM
If someone were to make an RPG and use these as a selling point:

#1 No towns to explore and revisit or shops - can only buy items from a save point.

#2 Maps are completely linear, just follow the corridor to the boss fight and grab chests along the way.

#3 Most areas are 1 time only, can't be revisited.

#4 2/3rds of your group is always on auto battle, and you can't switch members during battle, or take manual control.

#5 No sidequests till the end of the game, many of which are post game.

Would anyone seriously buy it? Well that is FFXIII. If you haven't played it you really haven't missed anything; even if you like RPGs.
#69king_maddenPosted 4/24/2013 10:41:07 AM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
king_madden posted...
@Spiroth_Kweehh

if you are just "grouping" them then maybe I can understand, but when you are comparing sales, then you lose all comparisons. if a game is a ps1 rpg, but then is a ps2 shooter, that a different group of fans, a different demographic altogether. just like with dissidia, its a fighting game which will cater to fighting fans, you dont expect all your old fans to buy it. they loved an rpg, cant expect them to love a fighting game.

if you want to compare sells, the side game needs to be exactly what the main was, same genre, same console.

[Bold Part 1]
That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Main FINAL FANTASY installments, Side FINAL FANTASY installments, and Spinoffs are completely different demographics altogether.

Here are three examples:

1) Out of me and my four FINAL FANTASY buddies that have started playing FINAL FANTASY since years ago, only me cares about FINAL FANTASY as a whole, the other two care exclusively about Main installments post-VII, and the other one only about Main installments (entirety).
Most FINAL FANTASY fans are like these.

2) FINAL FANTASY Tactics was an amazing game. One of the best. Was released on PS1.
Yet it sold (awesome in reality) really low compared to Main installments.

3) Take today's situation.
Supposed FINAL FANTASY fans cry and cry about a classic FINAL FANTASY, Dimensions comes, The After Years comes, The 4 Heroes of Light comes, Type-0 comes, and all sell a tiny tiny tiny fraction of a Main installment, despite people supposedly not liking the Main installment's style (which was released on consoles with smaller sales), but liking the spinoffs' style (which were released on consoles with way bigger sales).

As for Dissidia, it's an Action RPG with some Fighting elements Tribute to FINAL FANTASY (series) and a continuation to FINAL FANTASY (installment).
I personally don't like Fighting genre at all, but Duodecim is my all-time favorite game alongside the original FINAL FANTASY (outside MGSaga).
Plus it can be played entirely as a Turn-Based RPG.

Then this cannot happen, as the only such instance is FINAL FANTASY XIII and FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, as all other continuations are on different consoles, different types of RPGs, different generations.
(Even Lightning Returns will be different, as was also FINAL FANTASY X-2 with its ATB).

fact still remains, if people loved an rpg the first time around, if you make it a completely different game 2nd time around, you will lose fans. they are different demographics which is WHY you cant compare sales between them.

1. you say most final fantasy fans are lik that, but what is your proof? you cant say "me and my friends", and then throw it on their entire fanbase. I will play anything if it looks good, sounds kind of silly if you dont. "yea game looks good but its not a main FF so ill pass".

2. no it sold really low compared to the high selling FF games, it wasnt far behind 9, 6, and 5, and sold more than 4, 3, 2, and 1.

3. im not sure what point you're trying to make here.

as for dissidia, it was a fighting game, that they tried to throw in rpg elements and that terribly sloppy turn based nonsense.

and thats why I said those are the only 2 that can be compared, because they released on the same console as their main game, and were similar gameplay wise. once you throw in different consoles, different genres, of course sales will drop, you are taking the game from all of the fans who bought it and brought it to a new group.
#70toadiemanPosted 4/24/2013 10:44:18 AM
In a few years, do you think people look back at the FF XIII saga and say...

...we don't want XIII-4.