This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Please compare Dead Island, Dead Rising and Left for Dead series

#1vind3dPosted 4/22/2013 7:06:57 AM
Thinking of trying the Dead Island franchise. I have played Dead Rising 1 and OTR. I have also played LFD2. Will be playing sp. ty ^ ^
---
My favorite app is still the Mute button on my TV's remote.
#2BlueBombei2Posted 4/22/2013 7:14:44 AM(edited)
You can't compare the three. They are totally different games. One is a free roam, one is an RPG, and the other is a first person shooter.
#3BlueBombei2Posted 4/22/2013 7:10:35 AM
They all have Zombies?
#4Shadowrider70Posted 4/22/2013 7:12:14 AM
Dead Island is 1st person, like Left 4 Dead, and you can walk around freely, like Dead Rising.

And then there's zombiez. Those are the only comparisons remotely possible. (As far as I know)
---
*Looks a corpse* I... I think he died...
*Insert Random Quote Here*
#5anonymous46773Posted 4/22/2013 7:14:33 AM
Compare what? General fun?

Dead Rising = L4D > DI

Hard to decide between DR and L4D. L4D is probably better crafted, but DR is funnest if you just want to screw around.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#6brolynickPosted 4/22/2013 7:19:05 AM
Dead Island: Open world, sidemissions, co-op, customizable weapons, long story, no further online modes

Left 4 Dead: A bunch of maps divided into chapters, you can play either with bots or other players but it's always 4-player co-op, you can play as the infected yourself in Versus mode, highly addicting

Dead Rising: Haven't played a DR game but I know you're basically stuck in a mall, there's a crapload of zombies, there's a crapload of weapons, have fun.
---
Chris Jericho is better than God.
#7BahamutBBobPosted 4/22/2013 7:24:35 AM
Dead Island is like Borderlands, minus the humor but with light crafting (putting the different elements on weapons) and almost all melee weapons.

Dead Rising is like GTA. You're in a mall or Vegas strip-like area with a bunch of items you can use to do whatever you want to against the zombies.

Left 4 Dead isn't like either. Linear levels with some branching paths (not many...) but with many competitive and coop modes. High replay if you play with friends.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
#8GuardianLegendXPosted 4/22/2013 7:38:08 AM
Dead Rising 1> all.
---
GT: wTATERSprecious Pawn: Kokoa Shuzen
Playing: Ginga Force, PSP2:Infinity, EO4, Caladrius
#9shawnmckPosted 4/22/2013 7:54:50 AM(edited)
If you like zombies games, then you should like Dead Island.
It is a more serious take on the zombie apocalypse. It starts out a bit slow, and your character is a bit weak, but as you level up you gain skills and more health, and will be more capable. Just don't expect to take on huge groups of zombies by yourself. Like I said, this game is made to be more realistic, so you can't take on hordes like you could in Left 4 Dead or Dead Rising. You have to pick your battles and run away (or jump on a car) on occasion. It actually makes the game feel very realistic, as you will actually get scared in tight situations.

It really is a lot like Borderlands in the way it is set up.
You have large maps that you can explore, and level up, and get a bunch of weapons (mostly melee). The weapons start off a bit cheap & stingy, but again, as you get deeper the weapon variety & class opens up. There are even color-coded weapons (green, blue, purple, etc) that signify how good it is.

The combat is great and very bloody & brutal. And weapons actually matter & have an effect. Blunt weapons (hammers, pipes, bat, etc) can break bones & limbs, which will render them useless. Break a zombies arm, and it will just lay limp. Use a bladed weapon (machete, sword, etc) and you will sever limbs (arms, heads, etc) completely. All with a satisfying spray of blood.
The damage model system is also fantastic, as you can attack a zombie and it will expose its bones, muscle underneath. Putting them on fire will make them look burnt & shriveled.

The weapon crafting system is actually cool. For example, combine a machete with wires & a battery to have a machete that deals electrical damage.

Dead Island also has its NPC's that give out quests that when complete give you rewards such as an item or money.
The quests are more of the same, fetch this, or kill that kind, but they actually make sense within the context of the game. A sick woman needs her asthma medicine, so you go to a nearby pharmacy to get an inhaler....a man had his wife & daughter turn into zombies, but was too weak-willed to kill them himself, so he asks you to do it....investigate an airplane crash site, and etc. They make sense.

I personally love Dead Island and think it is one of the best zombie games around.

Dead Island really is like Borderlands with more emphasis on melee weapons (although there are guns), and zombies.

Left 4 Dead is just get from point A to point B, and shoot ridiculous waves of enemies. rinse & repeat. it's good, but extremely repetitive.

Dead Rising is more akin to GTA in the sense you get a open world environment and you do the various missions and is 3rd-Person.
I actually like Dead Rising, but the zombie re-spawn is ridiculous, imho.